[BUG] Galaxy Landing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Selerox, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Selerox

I'm not exactly what the devs have done to the Galaxy's handling (god knows, they didn't do anything else to it), but the Galaxy is just flat-out refusing to land properly since the patch.

Any type of slope at all causes the Gal to start to slide. If you're dropping out of sight to repair, you now have to be really careful in case your Gal ends up sliding off a cliff while you're trying to weld it back together. It's even more of an issue if you're putting it down to pick up infantry. It means you have to constantly adjust all the time to be able to pick up properly without sliding the damn thing over your own troops. Prior to the patch, you could tilt Galaxies while on the ground, which helped them stay stable when landed. Now that doesn't work properly and makes landing in a tight area a whole lot harder.

Also, before the patch, we were able to use down throttle to help land. Now if you're landed and you hit down throttle, you actually lift off the ground. I'm fairly sure that wasn't the case before the patch.

There are all small things, and there are far more important things (the ever-decreasing performance for a start), but it just frustrates me that something that literally didn't need tweaking at all gets changed in a way that makes the Galaxy more awkward to use.
    • Up x 1
  2. MgnfcntBstrd

Selerox, I've had an issue with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro since I started using it; when I roll back the throttle to land, the vehicle hovers about 5m off the ground. There's a thread about just that here.

The problem when using the throttle on my stick is that when I push it all the way back, it apparently goes into negative numbers or something, and causes me to be unable to land at all. Before the patch, I could, as you said, hold the down key and the downforce would keep me down. Since the patch, it is not strong enough to overcome the hover effect. Since the patch, I've flipped a lib because the nose caught on something and it flipped over forward, even with me holding the down button and at "zero" throttle.

The solution with the throttle is to move it (very, very slightly) up from the stop, so it moves out of the negatives and back to 0.

If you're doing it with a keyboard/mouse, perhaps tapping W would accomplish the same thing.
  3. Selerox

Yeah, I'm using mouse/keys, holding W (E for me) does help and I can land. The problem is that landing - or rather staying stable when landing - is now much harder than it was.

I think you're probably right about it going into negative numbers. It does seem to be exerting some kind of thrust, even though full down throttle should cut the craft speed to nothing and keep it there.

I'm more mystified as to why someone at SOE felt the need to mess with this in the first place.