From MAXes to you

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dreadnaught Wrex, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Dreadnaught Wrex

I am currently speaking from the position of a some one who mains the MAX class. I have about 50% of the class unlocked so far for my TR MAX. I also have a certed NC MAX. So far over have my time on PS2 has been in a MAX suit.

Now, the reason I am typing this and bring this up is to give you guys an idea. I for the most part stay in the MAX class forums and its rather annoying to get these 6+ page threads of people complaining about MAXes in utter ignorance. I see threads that call out for MAXes to be weaker, calling this MAXside 2, etc. Are you kidding me? Have any of you actually been playing the game or used the MAX class? MAXes arent everywhere unless you are in a biolab. Also, with classes the way they are. Every class besides the infiltrator can instagib the MAX class. (C4, rockets, tank mines, etc.) And even then, a TR MAX with kinetic armor is lucky to get 5 kills before retreating to an engineer or to hiding in a corner for 1.5-5 minutes to let his nano repair him. MAXes are huge, they take up door ways, you honestly cant miss them. MAXes are extremely limited in their uses, they cant cap point, mess with gens, etc. you kill a MAX, he has a 5-10 minute timer till he can pull another. I cant tell you how many times I have pulled a MAX, walked into a tower and killed 1-2 people to be instantly killed by C4.

The abilities are limited. Kinetic armor, nano, and flak. Run flak? Still die to explosives and bullets. kinetic armor? instantgibbed by explosives. Both are at the mercy to oblivious engineers (to the other half who helps me, thank you.) Want to run nano and not have to worry about enigneers? your extremely squishy. The point of this is to say that instead of complaining about us MAXes in PS2 general discussion where there arent too many MAX users. How about you come to the MAX forums and have a chat with us? I am sure we can help explain our perspective to you in hope you understand.

Have a good evening everyone.

TL;DR: instead of complaining about MAXes here, come to the MAX class forums and talk to us.
    • Up x 16
  2. EliteEskimo

Good thread, I agree with what was written. :cool:
  3. Llaf

I do not main the MAX class, but I have come to understand all of the points you bring up in your post and they are the main reasons I rarely play MAX, even though I have a decent amount of certs dumped into it.
    • Up x 1
  4. Van Dax

5. Quiiliitiila

You kill people as a MAX? Jeeze...:( I usually just get C-4 dumped on me right out of the gate...

It's even worse now with the VS Cosmos nerf... I ca't hit jack diddly with the new "buffed" Cosmos'. Before anyone jumps in and says "just go buy blueshift", no I don't want to. I want SOE to fix their mistake and make the Cosmos' viable again. They don't have to be what they were before, but at least let me hit something...
    • Up x 2
  6. Dreadnaught Wrex

You should have the same CoF as my mutilators at least. but the differance isnt that great. Only .15 differance.
  7. Van Dax

well the problem is that hit detection got much worse after the update in addition to the COF debuff. It makes it seem like you can't hit anything.
  8. Dreadnaught Wrex

Yeah, it seems it has. Nothing angers me more than a smug enemy walks up to me and at 5 meters and just fires his pump shotgun. And I cant kill him because of the bug.
    • Up x 3
  9. Van Dax

I have it at all distances after the update. when you get killed by a stationary medic at 10 meters you know something is wrong.
  10. loleator

I have played as max but more as other classes and maxes are UP (except the nc).
    They pose no threat as I can cover as HA, then rocket then headshots or c4 them as other classes easily. The only time I'm afraid of them is when I'm on my medic with no C4 and I can't do a thing. It shouldn't be like this. However if they get buffed and actually pose a threat they should remove medics being able to ressurect a mechanical unit they can't heal and that can be devastating. So that taking one down (which should be difficult) actually takes him down for good, otherwise the game would be frustrating.
  11. MaxDamage

MAXes cannot squad deploy or use instant action since GU7. There was no mention of this significant change in the patchnotes, and they've done it before in the past by mistake, which leads me to believe it is a bug.
  12. Quiiliitiila

Yeah, but we went from having the greatest VS AI accuracy to the all out WORST by far. Out classed by every other VS AI gun there. Rubbing salt in the wound is the fact that the devs repeatedly said that the Cosmos and Blueshift were working as INTENDED! No one saw this incredibly heavy handed nerf coming, sure we suspected the cosmos would get a nerf at some point, but not nerfed into the garbage it is now...
  13. cc2001

Did they really repeatedly say they were working as intended or was that assumed? If so who, when, and where?

The graphs showed that the Blueshifs should have been the more accurate weapons. There were murmurs that the Cosmos would probably eventually be nerfed. I didn't purchase them (or the Blueshifts) because I expected them to eventually be sorted out.

It seemed pretty clear the Cosmos were out of line in that they had too much going for them when the weapons are supposed to have tradeoffs.
  14. Quiiliitiila

Not from my experience, but if you dig through the MAX forums you'll find old posts about the Blueshifts where players were told by SOE that they were working as intended.

What really sucks is that most veteran VS MAX players bought the Cosmos' because it was all we could use to compete. By nerfing them ad infinitum they screwed most VS MAX players. Now we are forced to either use the new god aweful Cosmos' or buy new weapons (which I wouldn't doubt was what they planned on).
  15. Brusilov [TR]

To tell you the truth Wrex... i'd almost prefer that they stay out of the MAX Unit class specific forum.

In fact... when the revamp comes... keep your bullsh*t whinging and complaining, b*tching and moaning for nerfs as far away from the still semi-constructive class specific forum as possible, please.
  16. Ghosty11

There was a post made by the devs from back in January or December saying the Cosmos/Blueshift were "working as intended", so many people went out and bought the Cosmos based off of this, including myself. I don't have a problem with SOE making weapon adjustments, but the changes to the Cosmos went from it being the best VS MAX weapon to unarguably the worst VS MAX weapon, and probably the worst MAX AI weapon period. I really feel sorry for those who waited until GU07 to buy the Cosmos based off the initial patch notes, the people were snookered, IMHO, when I bought my Cosmos' I knew that they might be changed at some point, and accepted that when I bought them. I got a fair bit of use out of them prior to the nerf, so I accept that they might be rebalanced, but what's on live is not rebalanced it's near unusable unless the enemy is right in your face, which generally a bad place for them to be with a VS MAX.

In PS2 the general rule of weapon design regarding CoF, is that high damage slow firing weapons have a smaller initial CoF and a larger Bloom per shot, but for some reason with the VS AI MAX weapons this was thrown out the window, so you end up with high damage slowing firing weapons that can't hit anything. So if anything the VS 167 damage weapons should have a smaller initial CoF than the TR's 143 damage weapons, this is why the Cosmos is so terrible in it's current form.

Now since Higby was unaware of the change that was ninja patched in, I have hopes that it will be changed from the current and properly balanced.
  17. Oblomoff

Was just derping around in VR - default maxes almost die from a full 30 bullets, 143 damage magazine of all headshots. I mean, how silly is that a guy can kill a max in one clip plus a handful of pistol shots! (cough zoe cough) Granted it's not that easy to shoot so that you get all headshots, but 2 magazines to kill a max is ridiculous. They should bump default small arms resistance at least up to 85-90% (from 80% and 85% with max armor upgrade as of now) And guns are inaccurate enough so that those armored exoskeleton suits have to run for cover when people spot them at over 50 (?) meters
  18. cc2001

I'd say even 50m is pushing it for most of them based on the VR. (It is difficult to gauge actual range in a real fight).
  19. Laraso

As someone who has spent close to 7,000 certs on the MAX, I have to say that in the right hands it is an extremely rewarding class that will outperform any other class in combat.

Most of the complaints that people have about the MAX become a non-issue if you're skilled enough.
  20. Beartornado

Lol, NC not being UP just because shotguns? I can't even fire back at my enemy across a hallway and expect to kill them before their bullets have done away with a significant portion of my health. Even better is that Heavy Assault who is just outside of your effective kill range who gets a rocket into you. The big issue with C4 is that we don't see the Light Assault coming and abruptly die. Yea, we have the advantage of instantly killing at close range, at the cost of not being able to kill efficiently past 7 meters (small clips+reload time means that using more than 1 round per arm to kill an infantry unit is extremely undesirable).

Yea, there's a way to play NC right as hit and run or guard the doorway.

Except MAXes can't run. Short of just waiting for charge to recharge before I step out of the safety of spawn I have to get closer to my enemy than a TR or VS MAX would to enjoy the perks of dual shotguns, and given the significant number of close range high-damage weapons all infantry have it is far from pleasant.