[From Higby Pls Stream] New weildable knife mode balance

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by ttttz, Aug 30, 2014.

1. ttttz

Source: Higby Pls . Skip to 51:50

• Weilding mode
      • 2x fire rate (DPS)
    • Quick knife mode
      • Standard DPS
    • Future weapons will have PS1 activation mode (Extra damage when charged up)
    Current knives
    • Knives essentially do mini-shotgun damage without needing to aim. The players should can face the enemy and still get hits.
    • With weapons that require aiming, CQC can involve very, very fast movement across fields of view which require reflexes/tracking/prediction. This has to be done while manoevering to dodge enemy attacks and then compensating tracking to your movements. There is a CoF that must be kept well centered otherwise some bullets will miss and DPS will drop.
    Suggestion
    • Wielded mode: Make attacks require targeting and miss if the center of the screen is not on target.
    • Quick knife mode: Make quick knife attacks require targeting. At worst, reduce damage for if it misses.
    Better Damage mechanic- Damage could be proportional to time taken to prepare the attack.
    Requires the fire key to be pressed and the target to be in a set range, which could be a bit bigger than the knifing range.
    • The attack is prepared by the amount of time and surface area a CoF indicator spends over the target enemy. i.e. the CoF indicator can move away entirely from the enemy and return preserving the build up. CoF could be shrunk to a point if DPS was lowered to compensate for not needing to aim at center of target to get full DPS.
    • DPS should be below 2000.
    • Applicable to both knife modes.
    • I'd probably be ok with relaxing the restrictions on missing because building up an attack required aiming to keeping on target.
    • Prevents low skill ceiling abuse, as happens with shotguns. When new melee weapons are brought in they should have similar skill/reward curves.
    Edit: Typo in title, Wieldable
    • Up x 5
  2. Doomzzg

We could wield them separately back in april, but they removed them soon afterwards. It'll be interesting to see how they turn out once we can equip them again.
    • Up x 1
  3. UnDeaD_CyBorG

I sure hope for some MAX melee weapons with that, but I also definitely look forward to seeing Stalkers with knives. :D
    • Up x 1
  4. eldarfalcongravtank

HELL YESSSS!

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  5. DatVanuMan

So, Planetside 2 will now have melee weapons similar to TF2?
    If so, NOICE:D
  6. Rovertoo

[IMG]

NC Magdusters! That would be so sweet!
    • Up x 2
  7. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Now, now, that's NC.
    We'll get energy blades, as hinted at way back when.
    I think the TR MAX actually got knuckledusters. ^^
  8. Palkora

Max sword maybe?
  9. UnDeaD_CyBorG

A concept was shown last years spring.
  10. Sandpants

If I see a swiping animation I expect a fan area.
    If I see a stabbing animation I can expect having to aim.

To many games have ridiculous animations, poor syncing, various weird delays.
  11. commandoFi

I honestly don't want to have knifing be too complicated, hit detection is already a bit iffy.
  12. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Resulting in your opponent to miss you with 5 bullets while you knife him.
    It could be a bit harder, as a finisher dealing half damage with a near miss should still suffice.
    I'd even be ok with exaggerated flinch on a knife hit, that's what I'd do if someone swung a blade my way. ;)
  13. DatVanuMan

I'd be terrified if a NC MAX were to approach me with a hammer in one hand and an Aegis in the other. The NC MAX has the most potential in terms of MAX melee in the game.
    • Up x 1
  14. Rovertoo

But imagine a TR Max! He could swing that chainsaw at mad speeds!
  15. cody weathers

hehehehehehehehehhahHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHH AHHHH HAHAHAHAHA YIIIISSSS FINAAAAAALLLLYYYYY
  16. ttttz

Good point. Art should be updated to match the gameplay. The wielded mode Higby displayed is already stabbing animation.

(Incidentally, preparing a swipe requires loading of the swing aimed to deliver power at a target area (it's impossible to load for a downward swing at the legs and instantaneously move to a swing at the head of a 7 foot person at the last second. The power behind the swiping arc is in the center and not at the beginning/end. The ability to do full damage to an enemy standing at a players shoulder is looks ludicrous, in addition to having low skill floor problems.)

The problem with hit detection is the anti-cheat code on the server rejecting hits or being too slow to respond according to SOE.
    • Up x 1
  17. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Well, can you really knife that fast?
    ... Hmmm. Well, maybe. We'll see.

That said, I sure hope they'll fix ZOE by then. Berserk-Mode, or Accuracy + Melee damage, or something.
    It will be completely useless, but if I run around with dual Phase Blades, might as well glow while doing it. :D
  18. z1967

TF2 and CS reference will be out the roof when this hits live. I also want a Pan melee weapon for the explicit reason of I want a pan melee weapon.
  19. Shadoiex

Like me? :p
    • Up x 1
  20. WarmasterRaptor

If NC gets some kind of thunder hammer, VS some kind of lightning claws, TR better have Chainfists :p