Frames Per Second...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by andy_m, Mar 26, 2015.

1. andy_m

I dunno... I get the feeling that my frames per second has taken a bit of a dive lately. I really noticed this last night in particular. The fights I was joining were not particularly large to be honest, between 48 > 96. Previously, I would not drop much below 40fps in the larger battles. With smoothing on, I would normally run at 50+ at the 24>48 battles.

I'm currently dropping to below 20 at times. And everything gets rather jerky.

I do run a laptop, but the specs are high.

Before starting PS2 I open task manager and kill any processes not required.

I run graphics with everything on low, except that one setting on medium so that cloakers show up.

I have smoothing on.

I'm just wondering... Has something changed lately?
    • Up x 1
  2. Onhil

a few months ago they changed the minum recommended requirements to play the game. The old requirment were outdated and could not run the game properly.

And if I'm correct the minum clock speed req for the CPU is now 2.8 Ghz which your CPU misses by only 100 Mhz. I don't know if you have tried overclocking it since it's a laptop, but you could try to get it to 3 Ghz as long as you think it's safe.

The rest of your laptop spec is fine
    • Up x 1
  3. Leftconsin

• Up x 1
  4. _itg

I noticed in the same thing in the past couple months. I found that reducing the render quality setting a bit made a huge performance difference without too much impact on the actual appearance of the game.
    • Up x 1
  5. _itg

The i7 laptop processors are supposed to dynamically overclock themselves by about 1 GHz (I think they call it "turboboost"), and I'd hope they do that for PS2.
    • Up x 1
  6. Tommyp2006

Get a cooling pad for your laptop if you don't have one already. Heat will really slow you down with how CPU intensive the game is. make sure you restart the game every hour or two to reset the game's memory leak. And don't use smoothing, I find I get better framerates without it.

Most modern processors do that, either Intel or AMD, not just i7s. It works regardless of what application you are using.
    • Up x 1
  7. 0fly0

You don't have to do that anymore, now cloaker show up on low too.
    • Up x 3
  8. andy_m

Thanks for the responses :)

Ah... I didn't spot that. Thanks. I've been playing since September 2013 and things certainly have changed since then.

I had reduced my render quality to 90%, so perhaps I should try taking it down further then. Thanks :)

I've had a quick look into "turbo boost" and also looked into my AMI BIOS and there is no option to enable or disable it. I can only hope that it is something that happens in the background.

Yep, I use a Zalman cooling pad. On the occasions I forget to turn it on, I get to know about it soon enough.

Regarding the memory leak thing... I do sometimes play for three or more hours straight, so I should remember to take your advice, providing it doesn't mess up an alert I might be playing...

Yeah, I've been aware of that since it was introduced, but never bothered to change my settings. Perhaps now is the time to switch everything to low. So thanks for reminding me :)
  9. FBVanu

Have you tried to run Razer Cortex ?? boosts your game, by shutting down all other non-essential programs.. frees RAM

Formerly known as Razer Game Booster.. Wrel had a video on it.. I've been using it on old PC and on the new one..
    works great.
    • Up x 1
  10. andy_m

Thanks, I'll have a look into that :)
  11. zaspacer

My FPS has been messed up the past few days. It works fine for a while, and then it just chokes out, and my screen studders for 3-5 seconds. Sometimes it's been populated areas, but other times not. This is not a problem I've had in a very long time.
  12. 0fly0

thank's for the tips i'm going to try.
  13. OldMaster80

If you play in full windowed switch to full screen: it fixed the problem in 99% of cases for me.
  14. chevyowner

I use fullscreen windowed because true fullscreen is crap with more then one monitor, and for me any graphic weirdness is solved by removing the implant.
  15. zaspacer

I do play in Fullscreen. Though I do use Alt + Tab to cycle out of the game if I need to access my desktop. Thanks for the suggestion though, it's great to pick up that kind of info.
  16. MikeyGeeMan

Interestingly enough I had smoothing on, and used the NVIDIA experience tweaks suggested.

I went from med/high settings with smoothing on to high/ultra with smoothing off.

Try shutting smoothing off, remove ambient occlusion, shut off shadows and flora, no fog shadows, and lower your render quality to 88%.

If you don't see an improvement, also drop your graphics quality setting to medium.
  17. andy_m

Further to the above, I read on another non-games forum about performance being affected by a generally dirty PC. So I took the back off my Clevo P150EM to see how dusty it was in there.

Both the CPU and GPU heat sinks were badly clogged up with dust, so I gave them a right good clean out.

Did it make a difference? I'm not sure to be honest. I went to a 96+ v 96+ Biolab fight and my frame rate did seem to stay around the 50FPS mark, with just the odd drop to 40FPS. No jerkiness and sticky moments.

So, perhaps it did, or it may be that the server was behaving today...