Frame Rate Drop (Spiking)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Vearo, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Vearo

For a little while now (I think since Game Patch #1) my computer has been regularly dropping frame rate in brief, freezing spikes only in Planetside 2.

Normally I run the game at 30-60 fps depending on the location and number of characters in the region. Using the in-game framecounter, my framerate is relatively smooth (how it was at release/during most of beta) with the aforementioned spikes.

What I have noticed is that the dropping occurs no matter what the region. While it is most obvious in combat, where every second counts, it also happens in the warpgate. The spikes are difficult to replicate inside the warpgate spawn room, but not outside the room.

As well, my own attempts to solve the issue were changing the graphics settings, (via the useroptions.ini, as well with the in-game settings), toggling the "reduce input lag" option, and validating the game files using SoE's utility (I have the steam version).

Specs:
    AMD Phenom II x 4 955 @ 3.8 GHz
    4GB RAM
    1 TB HDD (7200 RPM)
    NVidia 460 GTX 1GB
    • Up x 1
  2. OvenTop

Unfortunately there is little us AMD users can do until the optimization patch in January, as for now it's payintel2win :\.
  3. Hashlak

You can always try Unparking you cores.. Seems to have helped alot of AMD and Intel users but mostly people with AMD got big boosts..
  4. Vearo

I used the unparker before the spikes to no effect, but I might try it again to see if it fixes it.
  5. AMW1011

Same thing has been happening to me since a little bit after launch. My cores are unparked and everything is set to very low, just brief flashes of unplayable lag.