FPS stutter is cause by the new HUD changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nocturnal7x, Feb 4, 2013.

1. FateJH

You know, I was noticing on my low low end machine that the HUD is what takes forever to start up properly, the game actuall froze for the moment that it was drawn in full, and that includes the minimap. This must be part of the new spotting system changes that we were told are happening.
  2. Zer0range

Probably just a concussion grenade.
    • Up x 1
  3. Tanelorn

Doesn't seem too tough to catch in the development stage, rather than making so many player's in game experience degrade, does it?
    • Up x 1
  4. manfromh

I still get stutter if I turn the HUD off.
  5. Carl 99

For thsoe stll gettig stutter, check youtr FPS, i've found i'm still getting an increasem and a big one, like 10 times better FPS), bt since my stutter FPS was so low before, (flicking form 0-1), it dosen't really add upto much help.
  6. MurderBunneh

There is more to it.I can be out in the middle of nowhere and have 90 fps but then when I look in the direction of a base the studder starts it will still be 90 fps with quick dips to 10. So it is something else besides ui and having many people around.
    Also the first day after patch I couldn't look at the Crown with out terrible fps issues now it is fine but other places that aren't even populated are studdering.
  7. DeusExMachina

Lol, that's my laptop when it was smooth :D
  8. Phsychotica

It wasn't a concussion grenade.
    Concussion grenades don't remove the hud and that doesn't matter because ummm, I'm not sure how to say this but... the patch broke them. They now explode on impact, have no explosion (So in actual fact they disappear on impact.) and have an explosive radius of about 1m or less. That coupled with the fact that they don't stun for anywhere near as long as they used to. (About 1/2 - 1/4 the time.) *Sigh*
  9. MurderBunneh

EMP remove hud don't they?
    • Up x 1
  10. Vedo

I bet it's in part due to the custom colors. For every person/vehicle/structure in the game it's checking if it's ally or enemy then it checks what color you have it set as then it has to make it that color. With everyone's colors being different now it probably adds a lot more processing.
  11. Zer0range

Well, there's a nade that removes the HUD in addition to other effects that affects your gameplay.
  12. Cyridius

Nah, this is all done client side. The game identifies friend or foe, then colours them according to the settings. It's literally the exact same as before except instead of purple or something for enemies it's black, or blue, or white etc.

It's definitely the new LoS changes that have done this. The LoS changes that aren't even working, for that matter. Look towards a tonne of friendlies? Enjoy watching your frames crash. At least this is a good way to drive a zerg forward, nobody wants to be in the back, and everybody wants to be in the front to avoid this frame drop.

A solution for this is to just disable HUD. Be warned, your IR/NV wont have crosshairs, and neither will your hipfire. You still keep Red Dots. An additional warning - if you die with HUD disabled, you wont be able to deploy again. I believe there's a fix by adjusting the ingame settings a bit, or you could just re-enable HUD before you get to the deployment screen, and it should work out.
  13. Aege

I was hit with a concussion grenade about 15 minutes later in that fight, and my HUD didn't disapear that time, nor did it at any other time that I noticed. I do say that I noticed because it could have done it for a second or two and I didn't see the elements disapear (tunnel vision in a fight and all that).
  14. Jests

Gonna try this when I get home. Would nice if I could actually play this game for the first time since patch. Go figure the fix comes from the community.
  15. hav0c

Maybe a little better but still unplayable
  16. Jetlag

I would like to know exactly how much of a resource hog all those flashes of activity are on my map.
    I this why it take me 2 seconds to open my map now?
  17. Tatwi

It's not the UI, it's the PhysX stuff for vehicles again, just like what we had in beta. From my testing, something is causing a localized MASSIVE spike in network activity (mostly incoming) that causes the game to stutter, yet the computer has virtually no CPU or video card activity (max 30 % on all 4 cores and 400MB out of 1024MB video ram usage, with less than 20% video card activity). It's the game that gets messed up rather than pushing the hardware too hard (though it may be receiving a metric ton of broken packets, because there were a lot coming in and 0% loss).

Earlier I was at a bio-lab where I was playing fine, then all of a sudden (when I was in the spawn room alone) the frame rate dropped to perhaps 1 frame every 15 seconds. It stayed like that for about 10 minutes, while I alt-tabbed to check my tools and came back in (repeatedly). Eventually we lost and I was killed. I spawned at the warpgate and all was well with the game again.

Later on, in the same play session without restarting the game, I played in a tower fight that had at least 80 people, yet very few vehicles and virtually no lag at all.

It's not the UI. It's vehicles, again. Something with the vehicles is slamming the network and causing the a fault in one of the game's processes.
  18. hostilechild

Pretty sure it has to do with priority rendering also. Jumppad into a group of enemies and you will get stutter, turn into a group of friendlies get stutter. Like the game all of a sudden has to get the info from server then render it. They just need to optimize that friendly info. Odds are i won't turn 180deg, but pretty dam likely i will turn 90degrees a lot.

Some say its vehicles and lots of tanks definitely at AMP station seemed to have more stutter, whereas in a biodome fight the other night, it was barely noticeable. But also had a lot more enemies than friendly around.
  19. Aege

I tested this last night, and I didn't notice any direct difference at least with my situation. What I did notice though (which is indirectly related to the HUD on/off), is that when stuttering began, sometimes exiting my vehicle or going 3rd person view either caused it or made it go away. It wasn't consistent, but it would change it nevertheless.
  20. Diamond Sword

Even OPF and ARMA have IFF markers over enemies on the highest difficulty where you don't get a crosshair or other HUD indicators. You do have to be within 500m and be looking directly at them, though before they appear. Unless you're in a vehicle with radar. Then you can just press 2 and see a list of all the targets within radar range. XD