Forgive my ignorance, newbie question.

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Chubby Monkey, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Chubby Monkey

A question to my fellow Engineers with more trigger time than myself. I mostly play Engineer and have nearly all the toys. And of all the toys our versatile class has there is one that still leaves me asking "how"? I have all three turrets unlocked. Usually I run with the tier five utility pouch and the various deployables backed up with a Spitfire turret. It's a great "early warning" system.

But the anti-vehicle turret is what has me perplexed. I have very little time with it as I just can't seem to get the same results others do with it. From what I have seen it has no magnification, only a dot for an aiming reticle and a fairly slow missile speed. Please correct me if any of that is wrong. So the question I have is this, how the hell do other Engineers use this thing like a sniper rifle on infantry? At least a couple times each play session some Engineer on the other side of the fence so to speak seems to bullseye me with one. Even on the run, ducking and dodging like an epileptic rabbit with the hiccups. Perhaps I simply do not have enough time on one. But even hitting a moving vehicle is tricky for me at times past a certain distance.

I understand that this is a "trackable" weapon. Meaning that the missile is guided in flight by the firer. Similar to the old M47 Dragon AT system I played with back in the day. Tracking a vehicle is one thing, but the pinpoint accuracy some of these Engineers display with their AV turrets is amazing! If I am standing still, bad dog bad, and get smoked with one I get it. No worries. I just can't figure out how they are scoring hits from a country mile away on running infantry.

My thanks in advance.
  2. DirArtillerySupport

I recently got a mouse that can change DPI settings on the fly. When I jump in a turret to fire at distant objects I hit the lowest possible setting and guide that puppy home.
    • Up x 1
  3. Eternaloptimist

Practice I guess - leading infantry targets is tricky at long range but it can be done. I generally aim very slightly low as you want the thing to explode at their feet and get them with blast damage rather than trying to hit them square on and run the risk of the rocket flying past as a near miss. I go for direct hits on Maxes though - bigger target/more damage (or I decouple from the Turret and use the Archer). Lobbing rockets into groups of infantry who are close together is another good way to get kills, rather than sniping individuals.
    • Up x 1
  4. Armcross

Reduce general mouse sensitive to 10 or even less(immersion braking yes I know). Attacking moving vehicles aim where they are going.
  5. FeralBoy

I think you answered your own and countless other Engineer's exact same question.
    Practice, practice, practice.
    I don't bother to adjust mouse sensitivity but I'm sure it is quite beneficial for some.
    The more trigger time you get I bet your fingers and thumb will adjust and become quite fluid and smooth with micro-movements.

You will be sniping actual snipers who think they're at a safe sniping range.
    You will wing infantry on the hoof at 100's of meters.
    You will smash that vehicle who thought he escaped death when he snuck behind a ridge, only to get a hot ball of mana love dropped on his head because you learned how to drop-shot behind obstructions.

Stick with it fellow Engy!
  6. OldMaster80

I'm am perplexed by the fact you are perplexed by the AV turret, and love instead the Spitfire. :eek:

The Spitfire is garbage: the damage and the resistance could be acceptable but there is no reason why this turret has to be resupplied every time.
  7. cobaltlightning

I enjoy the Spitfire, too, it just needs a teeny buff of Rechargeable.
    With the Auto-Turret, it's all about placement, and is more of a defensive-support option. Place it near a Deployed Sundy that is vulnerable to C4 Fairies, or on a flank to at least help give some warning when it beeps super loudly. Even a few Peas can make an Infiltrator think twice.

It tends to work better in more confined spaces, and actually feels more durable than the other turrets: A Single Phoenix cannot down the Spitfire, where they can the Mana (and kill its gunner if applicable). Put it by a point that is less under attack, or a route that is less traveled by your enemies. It might not do too much, but it can thwart single players or at least warn of an incoming attack.
  8. Armcross

Spitfire is garbage, if you don't know how to use them or not compatible with your game play.
  9. Akashar

You have your solution right above^
    Long range shots need a reaaaally slow mouse, and then aim just under the dorito= You just turned into a sniper