[Suggestion] Floating Wrench

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by TokyoShoe, Dec 9, 2012.

1. TokyoShoe

Maybe I am alone in this desire but I think it would be nice to have a "visible to friendlies only" option of putting a floating wrench icon above either my own head.. or several feet in the air above my turret (as to not block firing visibility).

Why am I making this stupid suggestion? Just a little convenience that would allow vehicles in convoy to more easily find a repair pit stop. (shrug) Crazy? Stupid? What do you think?
    (Yes I consider this WAY down the priority list. Fix bugs / solve functionality issues before this.)
    • Up x 1
  2. gorviss

Personally I would be thoroughly annoyed seeing 100 medics running around inside of facilities with the floating wrench above their heads. I'm not sure if you're aware or not but there is a cert for the Sunderer where this does become an option. I think that's good enough you know?
  3. TokyoShoe

I quite commonly find myself in the midst of the Genudine server's "Vanu Zerg" on a fairly regular basis. I cannot even begin to count the number of MagRiders, Lightnings and Sunderers that end up tooling around all in one massive motorized convoy. All of the Sunderers in this convoy are regularly tricked out with the latest and greatest of options and accessories. Tons of them will have the "Ammo Dispenser" option equipped, but do you know how many usually have the "Repair Station" option?

One. MAYBE.

I in no way fancy myself a Sunderer drive, so I really do not want that as an option. (You drive a Sunderer and suddenly everyone around you is "entitled to a ride", your agenda be darned.) Add to this the fact that there are several places were tanks end up moving about in a tight space WITHOUT room for a parked Sunderer... and I think this is a viable option for Engineers.

Oh.. and you notice how I posted this in the "Engineers" section? I do not think this is an option that Medics want or need.
  4. gorviss

I meant engineers before but my opinion still stands. I think it would be to distracting to players having a floating wrench. It doesn't matter how high you have the wrench above the players head at some point it's going to block someones field of vision while in a fire fight and they're going to get pissed.
  5. Kid Gloves

Medics don't need it because the medic pack and helmet is blatantly obvious.
    Engineers blend in with the rest of the troops, but that said it's not hard to find an engineer if you need one.

Anyway, while the idea sounds nice I doubt it will make any difference. I've seen people run into then out of a medic's warm green glow while hollering for a heal. If the giant green glow isn't enough, a tiny icon has no chance.

I'd instead prefer the heal/repair icon that engi's or medics see flash for ~5 seconds when the person actively requests a heal or repair. This helps let me know who asked, so I don't run off after someone who has no clue they're injured or damaged.
  6. Marzipanzer

As much as having a wrench above one's head is a good thing, I'd also expect it to turn into a vehicle magnet of sorts. Worst that could happen is you get run over by all the vehicles clamoring for the attention of the only engineer around. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  7. TokyoShoe

I already get run over by my own side's vehicles once every 3 minutes, how would this change that at all?
  8. silverme

9. LameFox

I'd like the ability not to see floating wrench icons generated by your ability.
  10. KoSGunny

Because now not only would the oblivious drivers hit you, but the others would, too.. The 'smart drivers' that aren't crushing you to pieces now would be like 'errmahgerrd it's a wrench!' and come flying directly at you..

I'm sure you see where this is going.