Flight Controls - Yaw affects pitch and other oddities

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Runegrace, May 21, 2015.

1. Runegrace

Long post, because test.

So, I have flown with joystick since before O:MFG as SOE claimed that they were going to improve joystick support way back in the day. That never happened, but with Xpadder I was able to swing it pretty well. My main secret was I could set up two profiles that swapped when I hit the optic key, letting me tone down sensitivity when aiming down sights, effectively. I'm no sky knight, but could do pretty well.

But, since the new flight controls I have been absolutely abysmal in the air. I thought maybe that I just needed to tweak sensitivities, but through experimenting it seems like there's a lot more going on than just the sliders. I'm in a unique position to test in comparison to K+M as I can give a constant input with the stick as well as change sensitivity on the fly. Here's a couple things I found out.

1) Sensitivity does nothing in regards to max pitch speed
    Sensitivity does reduce pitch as first, but you eventually you build momentum and 'break free', pitching at full speed. The weird thing is that changing pitch direction seems to keep accelerating, like the magnitude is all that matters. This is most evident when pitching up to do circles at full speed (100), then hitting my optic to reduce sensitivity (30) and I continue to pitch at the exact same speed, even though the magnitude of the input is 30% of what it was. This means that once I get into a dog fight and have to pitch up and down to track a moving target, even with lowered sensitivity, I eventually build up enough momentum to 'break free', and suddenly I'm wildly pitching and drifting all over the place even while doing slight adjustments.

2) Yaw affects pitch
    This was a strange one. So after 'breaking free' as described above, if I yaw at all suddenly the sensitivity matters. It doesn't matter much at normal speed (100), but if I press the optic key to bring down the sensitivity (30) suddenly the pitch speed is drastically reduced to about 1/3rd. The real kicker? The moment I stop yaw I'm back to 'breaking free' speeds. This means that my pitch speed varies wildly based on whether I'm yawing at all.

Now, keep in mind that I've disabled the in-game joystick controls and am using Xpadder, meaning that this is how the game is handling MOUSE input. I'm posting this here because I thought it might be insightful to the devs and players that are still having a hard time with the new flight model. Point 1) could explain why a lot of people have been having issues with drift, while point 2) means that your sensitivity might be inconsistent based on whether you're currently adjusting with yaw or not, making mouse movements give inconsistent adjustments in aim.

If anyone who plays K+M could test these points it'd be appreciated. Maybe these issues aren't as pronounced on K+M. Give a post if your findings coincide with what I've been observing, or if they contradict. Interested to see if people notice the same.
    • Up x 1