First major changes to the game in a while

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hotbread, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Hotbread

Anyone else excited about daybreak's coup of SOE. It seems like daybreak is really getting things in gear to actually change the game for the better.
    I'm debating buying a membership again, all because of looking at the roadmap and playing the PTS.
    THE KING IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE KING!
  2. Illucidator

I cant wait for valk changes. Gonna have some helion fun soon.
  3. KnightCole

Just what are they changing? A new super pistol? we dont need that.

When I see them legit working day and night to rework the other weapon models, working tirelessly to really get some depth, point and logistics into this game, to get the performance back to the way it used to be, and the game becomes fun again...then I might be in agreement with you lol. Ofc, DBG is new, so yeah, ill give em a chance lol.

I see the new MAX weapon changes, those are nice. So it gives me a sparkle of hope.
  4. Hotbread

New continent on the way.
  5. wrenched

A newbie continent though, right? 8 Hexes, 1 of each large structure, for new players only...
    • Up x 2
  6. The Rogue Wolf

You gotta fix the fundamentals first. The newbie experience is one that's been broken since launch. There's plenty of other stuff I'd like to see fixed, too, but right now I don't think I can fault their priorities.
    • Up x 1
  7. Yuki10

Definitely no membership for them or otherwise cash spent on the game.

DBG is still ran by same people with mostly same people, only fewer of them. Can't see how that changes the game in any significant way.
    • Up x 1
  8. Mohof

There is a difference between publisher (the ones who supply the money) and the development team. Many times the publisher is actually at fault for the state of the game as they are the ones who tell the development team how much time to spend developing / fixing each particular area. Those are called milestones and they are set by the publisher. If you are not on schedule you do not get paid until you meet your milestones. This causes the development team to take shortcuts in fixing low priority bugs .. i.e. those that are not gamebreaking. To be clear gamebreaking means that a large majority of the playerbase cannot play or progress due to this bug.

In this way a different publisher picking up the game may have a positive or negative impact on the state of affairs. It all depends on if DBG is going to pour more money in, allowing the development team to fix issues and create new content.
    • Up x 2
  9. Mythologicus

Heard about changes to aircraft and ground vehicle behaviours. Reserving judgement until after the update.
  10. Mythologicus

Sorta relevant: From what I understand Age of Empires Online died because Microsoft (the publisher) pulled the plug, not because Gas Powered Games (the developer) couldn't be bothered. GPG had all kinds of plans and made promises to the community, but Microsoft wouldn't supply them with the funds they needed.

R.I.P. GPG
  11. Mohof

It happens quite often in game development. The publisher is the ultimate customer to the development team as they are the ones actually paying for the game to be developed (not the playerbase as gamers would like to believe). Gamers are simply paying those publishers for fronting the money to the development team.

The flip side of the coin is the publishers do not have as much hands on interaction with the game in question, so they will perceive a different priority level when dealing with bugs as well as adding new features and content. There is often a cost to gain ratio applied when a development team requests permission to add content. Will this content make more money than it costs us to produce, and will it make more money than we will make by developing a different feature or completely new game.
  12. wrenched

Pretty irresponsible to make a bunch of promises to the community if you're not certain you can deliver. Both at fault.
  13. drstrange2014

No chance of that sadly. The company is a front for Renova - infamous for being very much part of the Russian mob. So it's partly a way for them to launder money and to pick up some non Russian assets which won't be affected so much by sanctions. They'll probably get what they can and then sell DBG on in a few months time. The best we can hope for is that they basically ignore the game and what's left of the team, though there are going to be more layoffs over the next few weeks. It's just a shame that the person who should have gotten booted first - Smedley - was able to protect himself in the agreement he signed with the new owners.
  14. omfgweeee

I have a good feeling about the game so i bought 1 year full acs before 2 days.

P.S. How i can put all aces sign under my name?
  15. Ronin Oni

that we can't use :rolleyes:

It'll be good for noobs.

I went on a streak earlier and killed like 6 <BR10's in a row.

No idea how there were so many newbies together, in a small fight no less, but I almost felt bad.

Still, not sure there's enough <BR15 to fill even a small 124 player continent.
  16. zaspacer

Publisher is definitely a big component (even when they're "hands off").

You have a lot of the same labor talent, but you have at least some new leads. The leads are often the major force in terms of determining what to work on, who works on what, what direction to go, how development is organized an planned and executed, staffing, how something will be done, which demographics to tailor the game to, whether to step on the gas or the brake, etc.