[First impressions] Flash Aurax Lumifibre (VS)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ripshaft, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Ripshaft

Righto, so I got my flash aurax lumifibre yesterday, and well... I find the experience and item underwhelming.

I was hoping for the auraxium lumifibre to act more as a "trim" that cannot be turned off in the same way that regular lumifibre can. This would not only differentiate it from normal lumifibre, but get around the rather extreme problem of not being able to turn on lumifibre without also turning on the headlights, which is a rather extreme hit to the flash's combat effectiveness unless operating in full sun.

Additionally the thin outline of the lumifibre does little to accentuate the effect and it comes off looking rather... unnatural (not in a good way). This is likely largely due to the absence of bloom (how I'd love to have seen it during that patch that amped the bloom to 11).

The purple used in the shader, perhaps as a result of mixing with the cyan, comes off looking quite red as well, though it looks better in some lighting over others.

Check the vid at bout 43 seconds to see what I mean about the red;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to sum it up; I feel that this reward is largely useless/unrewarding to the people who will achieve it (legitimately - ie they play flash because they want to); it's not realistically usable/viable within the context of the gameplay required to get there.

I would assume this is contrary to the intention with the directive rewards (ignoring the "scout rifle" tree, where a battle rifle is rewarded for using scout rifles), and hope that the devs find it in their hearts to throw this item some sweet sweet love.

As for my feelings on changes;

First and foremost I'd like to see the reward not be tied to headlamp functionality. (Having it be always on, or better yet have it disabling headlights while equipped would be fantastic in my books). I would be reasonably content if this was the only change taken.

Beyond that I'd much rather see a more organic or "natural looking" incorporation of the auraxium texture into the flash, rather than the somewhat jarring current implementation. I'm not sure what form this would take artistically, but I'd think something like smoothing the lumifibre mesh, or having it be something entirely different, like a more awesome auraxium flash armour implementation.

I'd like to see the effect be more along the lines of the auraxium texture on the weapons, rather than the technicolour funkfest on the vehicles.

Edit: Would love to post a video of it but my video capture ability is somewhat lacking. If I shut down everything but ps2 I should be able to record something if the demand is there.It's the exact same effect as the mag lumifibre in the video though, and has (from a cursory look) the same mesh as the default lumifibre trim for the flash.
    • Up x 1
  2. Ripshaft

To follow up;

First off, the auraxium texture has grown on me and I'm totally cool with the current texture and look....

However... The attachment of the lumifibre to the headlights is still such a huge problem for it being enjoyable. It's also not fun to have to turn it on all the time.

I'd still really like to see it either be always on, or toggle seperately from the headlights.
  3. Ronin Oni

They should add another keybind... default headlights and lumifiber to share the keybind, but let people rebind to w/e they want.

Best solution.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ripshaft

Well, this was something I mentioned, but only lightly because it's so blindingly obvious from an emergent standpoint, and has been suggested many times before in the now dead suggestions forum. It's possible that it's just something that hasn't gotten their attention yet, but I figure if it really was a simple fix, keeping in mind that this is something that for 2 years has only affected paying customers, it would be in their best interest to do it.

So, probably not simple to actually implement, it's possible that the 2state on/off on the actors is difficult to modify or expand without potentially introducing other problems. That's why I put more emphasis on the auraxium lumifibre being permanently on, which is without a doubt technically feasable in the engine.

But yeah more than anything I'd like to see the headlights seperated from lumifibre and underglow on all vehicles - would make me very happy. But I'd be happy enough with just my auraxium lumifibre being changed specifically =p
  5. Ronin Oni

I'd definitely want to be able to still turn off lumifiber....

when I'm glowing, I dont see how headlights really make me that much more visibile TBH
  6. Ripshaft

To add onto this a little bit more:

First off I'd like to reiterate that the dark red and cyan shader effect has really grown on me, and I'm totally cool with it - the look is even quite pleasing to me now - however the shader often has a weird "washed out" effect on it, where it looks like a 30% opaque white sheet was placed over the shader; resulting in a rather dull effect.

So yeah, the look is totally cool, keep it, and fix it so it stays that way please!

And I of course still stand very strongly for having the aurax lumifibre be always on or otherwise disconnected from the headlight functionality.