'Fill/Stretch evenly' tools for PS2 terrain editor

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Oblomoff, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Oblomoff

Well, it is related to EQNL too since it was the game that made me think about it.

So, I'm watching arklegger's stream as he makes some planetside 2 bases and he's struggling to fill the space evenly with floor tiles - he stretches/shrinks some of them to fill out the space but that doesn't look perfect and it's hard to fill the space evenly. I imagine that I will have problems with that too when I'll start building in Landmark. So why not automate that?

Basically, you set a few props (or just one) in a line, choose them with a selection tool and choose two points horizontally/vertically between which the props should go. The computer then proportionally to the sizes of given objects; or simply by dividing the length by the number of objects, sets the length to every prop and places them on desired location.

There could be options for: Stretching/shrinking the objects proportionally [as in, height and width too] or only length; Filling or not the gaps between objects; Setting them in line or retaining their prior height/depth positions.

Surely, that would work for props that can be stretched/shrunk but will it work for voxels? Complex shapes would have to be adjusted to the grid and the computer does that better (but it is still a challenge to program, I assume!) For example, that would make rebuilding staircases much easier.
    If it will not be in EQNL, then I'm sure PS2 mappers would like the tool :)
    • Up x 1