Feedback on Recon Dart changes.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Plague Rat, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Plague Rat

For those that don't know, recon dart pulses are now visible on enemy mini-maps in this PTS build, albeit significantly dimmer than a friendly dart's graphic.

I don't mind it in theory. It's a bit of a double edged sword, but I see the reasoning. I can see them and avoid them now when I want to be sneaky. It gives me notice when I'm being pinged so I can react according. But my enemies can do all of this too. It will let them know someone is looking at them, even if they don't know where. Exact position is no longer revealed as if firing an unsuppressed weapon when you use a dart so it's not at all a bad trade-off to make in that light.

I do have some comments and concerns however:

-There doesn't seem to have be limiting range. When I was playing with it, the enemy pulses were appearing even 200m out. I didn't check much farther than that, but I suspect it goes on. It should be adjusted so it only appears on an enemies mini-map if they are within the scanning range, or something more conservative like 75m, enough of a buffer to recognize it before wandering into it's detection range.

-If this is going to be the way it is for recon darts, that I'd say that vehicle based detection should be given a similar mechanic, with prox or scout radar equipped vehicles displaying a similar pulse or some kind of aura aura on the mini-map when they're actively scanning. Personally, I think this could work and should be considered as an implant type, allowing the user to see any actively scanning enemy detection devices on their mini-map.

Anyway, it's not exactly a game breaking change that's going to take top priority to address, but I think these are things that do need to be factored in.
    • Up x 1
  2. Kaska

I know this is kind of a dead thread revived, but issue still stands: You are still able to see enemy recon darts on the minimap.

It's a problem if you're a scouting infiltrator because you can't be undetected at all if you shoot the dart once.
    It's a problem if you're hunting a lone soldier in a tower/base because they have a clear indicator when to just stay still.
    It's a problem because you're giving your information to the enemy with a tool that should be only to gather information to you.
    It's a problem because there is pretty much no range limit on how far you can see enemy recon darts on minimap.

The dart minimap visibility (it already have the humming/wave-y sound and a small light attached to the end) pretty much nullify one of few things an Infiltrator can do in this game.
    • Up x 2
  3. DeadliestMoon

I still think other players should get behind my radar jammer idea. It functions exactly like the recon detect tool, except it scrambles the enemy's minimap.
  4. Kaska

That's a completely different thing.

I don't want for enemies to see MY recon darts, nothing else.
  5. DeadliestMoon

Oh, yeah. That too.
    • Up x 1