[Suggestion] Faction traits: make them prominent

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wind_Walker, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Wind_Walker

From my time playing, I've noticed that there are actually three tiers of faction traits, with 2 being positive and the third being a drawback:

VS: primary = heat/charge mechanic, secondary = accuracy, tertiary = low bullet velocity (I didn't count bullet drop because at the ranges where it would count, its either too far to utilize it or removed [not counting Phaseshift])

NC: primary = high velocity ammo, secondary = damage, tertiary = low RoF

TR: primary = high RoF, secondary = larger magazines, tertiary = below average accuracy

Sadly, the only places I see these traits so far are in:

VS: Phaseshift, Betelgeuse, Darkstar, and to some extent, Pulsar C

NC: Railjack, Gauss Prime, Godsaw, and to some extent, Gauss SAW-S

TR: MCG, Lynx, AMP, and to some extent, TORQ

(If you know of any better examples, please tell me)

The game has a great opportunity to make these factions drastically different with these traits, but it doesn't seem to take the time to do so. The majority of us wants us to be different, to have faction flavor, but it seems to be too similar so far, and it's only getting worse with the amount of NS items being popped out instead of ES. Directive weapons seem meh so far and are outclassed by a lot of regular alternatives, giving no reason to have them other than the skin.

I'd like to see the directive weapons play to the factions' strengths rather than make up for their weaknesses. I'd also like to see faction changes to the regular armory of weapons as well (I'm looking at you, TRAP) to make themfeel like VS/NC/TR, not just clones in order to appease the try hards with a God Complex.

I'd also like to see the reload for VS heat weapons gone and instead, have only the cooldown: remember how if you overheated the plasma pistol/rifle in Halo, you'd have to sit through a cool down time? yeah, that. As long as you don't overheat it, you can shoot without stopping.

NC weapons could have a little flavor in terms of a split-second charge up for automatics (for those of you who remember the turian moon base turrets from ME3, you know what I'm talking about)

TR's arsenal could use an emphasis on its current traits instead of bogged down versions, and it'd be okay. They're the old school tried and true faction, so I can't really see any fancy mechanics for them (shoot me ideas if you want)

In short, I like the lore of the game, and I like the potential, but I only see a glorified Battlefield 4 so far and frankly, I don't like it. We need to make the factions different, not water them down to the ending of ME3. HOWEVER, I'm up for discussion on this and any other ideas people may have.
    • Up x 1
  2. Jake the Dog

I was going to say, give TR vehicles super high accurate weapons with no drop, NC get sh***y GLs and VS get highly innacurate small mag high ROF weapons.
  3. Hutsk

A charge up time for NC on top of low RoF? No thanks.
  4. Wind_Walker

I don't know HOW low the NC arsenal goes in terms of RoF, but it would be offset at range by having innate high velocity, no? I'm fine with having the NC get a RoF buff if it's that bad.
  5. AlterEgo

[IMG]

I've been fighting for ES crap for years. If there's one thing I'm passionate about, it would be asymmetry in a video game, and Planetside 2 has incredible potential.

See it like this: TR are the largest force. They've got the conventional weapons, yer ole assault rifles, LMGs, such and such. High fire rates? Check. Much dakka? Check. Everything else? Missing. And even then, the other factions have CARBON COPIES of what the TR have, especially the VS. Change that.

What COULD be done is that the TR get improved weapons that are used today. For example, the HA has access to a special TMG-42, basically an amped up MG42 (no way), and it has the sickest sound in the game or some crap. They should have all coneventional weapon classes; basically, the structure of TR weapons is fine now, but needs some serious upgrades to make them able to scream out (with ruthless authority): "We are the assault force. Join us, and no lines are unbreakable." Because of how they are based on using high fire rate weapons with massive magazines, they could be revolved around the concept of defense. REWARD THEM for that. Bipods should be used on all high-dakka weapons. Allow CQC weapons access to unique "oh crap" attachments. Change some base values so that they have far more accuracy when not moving, higher fire rates, MOAR dakka, etc. Bring THESE guys back:
    [IMG] That gun, though.
    The NC. The retro-futuristic rock 'n' roll faction that doesn't feel like an established faction. I laugh at the incoming charge of stock Lego Warriors approaching my base because I know two things:
    1. They look incredibly silly.
    2. They don't seem to know how to use their weapons.

So change them, as well. The NC arsenal is the most varied and unique of the three factions, and even then it doesn't scratch the surface of what they could be. They use high-damage pieces of electromagnetically propelled metal, right? WELL MAKE ME FEEL LIKE IT. The closest thing to that is the Railjack (has that sweet feel upon firing), and that's it. A shotgun for a sidearm? Really? Even then, it's crap and hasn't been touched in a year. They need to revolve around the offensive nature they so theoretically embrace. Make them the shock troops supported by heavy vehicles. They can take a serious punch and can punch back when the dirty dictators and smexy spandex warriors offer resistance. Increase damage across the boards. Make that velocity SO high that bullets literally explode when they get near you. Make those WMDs so loud that even Uncle TR cries (quietyly) in his bed. Being the rebel faction, they don't necessarily have access to the same weapon categories that the TR have. Their weapons have unique offensive attachments which incur less penalties when on the move. As for the soldiers themselves, make them faster, increase their HP, and for the love of everything enlightened, CHANGE THEIR ARMOR. Bring THESE guys back!
    [IMG]Screams rebel!

And last, but not least, Vanu.
    Bullets... being used by transhumanist soldiers who have access to "advanced" energy weapons characterized by incredible accuracy, unbelievable controllability, and intriguing traits that no other weapon has.
    How the f**k did NS branch out like that????
    Alien. Tech. Simple concept, but poorly implemented. The VS is the ALIEN faction, man, so make them feel like it! Their weapons should be exotic, looking like different contraptions that could have only be made in a foundry down in the deep, blazingly cold depths of Esamir. Accuracy and ease-of-use should be emphasized, and while some weapons may not achieve incredible potential once used to the max when compared to the NC or TR, others have incredibly strange traits marked by horrifying flaws and yet almighty strengths that distinguish between EVERY single VS weapon. Because they rely on advanced technology to achieve different combat tasks, they are the balance of the three factions when it comes to general combat power. Firepower is balanced, not as sluggish or hardhitting as the NC, and not so individually weak or dakka-spraying as the TR. The same applies to combat capability. They can eek out an effective defense or squeeze out a strong offense, and while both do not compare to what the other two factions have in store, it is nevertheless the versatility and ease at which both can be performed that matters. As such, soldiers must have more ammo in store (they are batteries, really), and should have access to different ammo types when they reach sufficient levels of experience, one being laser (fast to fire, fly, and reload, accurate, and somewhat weak) and the other being plasma (strong, accurate, spreads out as it travels, but slow in all other aspects excluding reload to some extent). Because they only seek to achieve mere versatility, technology is what defines the VS. All classes' special abilities are improved, where the Vanu Heavy Assault's shield is one that covers a small area where bullets deal far less damage than usual, where the Medic's shield bubble offers far more shield regeneration, and where the Infiltrator has access to special tools that, when placed correctly, allow some knowledge regarding an enemy's plans. Bring THIS GUY back.
    [IMG]THAT MODEL, THOUGH.

This was my annoyingly large take on things. May seem outlandish, yeah, but pretty cool, nonetheless. Hope more people will find just how important it is for a game's elements to be unique, and maybe DBG will even work on them.
  6. ColonelChingles

A while back I had the idea of subfactions, or "concentrations" where you could get more of your faction flavour at a faction cost. In this way it would be optional, so people who prefer the current balance could keep it.

One example was:

Obviously it's a little dated from the references to pull timers, but the basic idea is that you have increased RoF and cheaper costs with a tradeoff of reduced accuracy and weaker armor. Additionally members of the TR Penal Battalion can pick an extra utility where a TK can grant a temporary RoF boost to all friendly soldiers and vehicles nearby.

So if you prefer the current TR because you think that their bullet hoses are bullet hosey enough, fine. But if you always wished that you could empty an entire magazine faster than you could blink, then this subfaction would be for you. There might be other subfactions to suit other playstyles (a Secret Police subfaction that specializes in infiltration, sabotage, and assassination for example).
  7. Wind_Walker

Yeah, I know, right? I do love those weapon models though. Where did they GOOOOOOO?