Faction Distributed by Server

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SiosDashcR, May 14, 2013.

1. SiosDashcR

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmUavphHXmIxdFhHUzJfN1VYalRnWS0xMnBUdTJpM1E&gid=54

Incase most of you haven't seen this, see it.

I'm honestly, not sure about some others, sick and tired of seeing the same threads that continue to say that the TR is the most overpopulated faction and steamrolls through their servers.

If you took a moment to stop taking such an objective approach towards the subject, you'd realize that the overpopulated TR faction only applies to some and NOT all servers.

In some servers, TR is the most underpopulated faction. In some servers, VS is the most underpopulated faction. One thing however, I think we can all agree on, which I see this being shrugged off so often - is that across all servers, NC has the most stable population, usually being on top or second to it - enough to fight against whatever the other overpopulated faction on that respective server is.

How do we fix this problem?

It's not by QQing calling for nerfs and buffs - but rather an extension from what others have been speaking about. Albeit from some threads that I gather, it's only a one-way suggestion that only helps out a particular faction and not underpopulated factions as a whole.

What I propose is the use of "Recommended Servers" obviously, incase that hasn't been stated enough by everyone else. However, instead of sending people to server X, Y and Z - it should process the faction that X player has chosen and recommend him/her, servers where the faction he/she chose, is underpopulated.

Through this, you'll gain some sort of new players pumping into the respective underpopulated factions of servers that need it to further boost that underpopulated faction and not just sending them to a particular server, where it can unnecessarily boost some factions that are already overpopulated.
    • Up x 2
  2. MarioO

You didn't know, "two" is like "all" in the internet.

Seriously, though: I think only recommending a server won't help. You need to give the players a reason to join the unterpopulated faction in the first place. It doesn't even has to do with gameplay. Maybe give the underpopulated faction a better image or something that looks really cool.
    I think the TR is the faction that suffers the most because of their image. People tend to think they are the bad guys, a bunch of evil and oppressive people. Many neither accept that it's just a game and that the TR are actually the good guys.

And the oversized hat we just got really isn't a reason to join the TR...
  3. SiosDashcR

I personally think, cosmetically - the TR needs a overhaul.

Of course that's just my opinion but when comparing them to their NC and VS counterparts, I felt we've been shafted when it comes to the design department.

It wasn't until recently we finally got something nice, the Dreadnought, Ogre Armor and Colossus Helmet.

However it doesn't change the fact that the helmets prior, at least in my opinion - isn't all that great. Especially our Composite Armor.
  4. Cougarbrit

Yeah I don't quite like playing with a character model that looks like he's off to the nearest skatepark.
    • Up x 2
  5. Teegeeack

Weird. I always thought the TR was the best looking faction.
  6. MNO

Same.

I find it funny TR want an overhaul when VS generally get the **** end of the stick on most cosmetic items :p
  7. NDroid

We have already seen that the recommended servers system works at least for drawing in new players- just look at how the Ceres population has spiked recently. By contrast, Miller which use to be the most populated EU server is now far behind. Having the recommendation be dependent on faction population might help (it might already be implemented but it doesn't seem to function properly yet).

As for the faction image and aesthetics, I agree they play a role. From the VS perspective, if compared to PS1- the lore went from "transhumanists seeking to evolve mankind through alien technology" to "quasi-religious alien worshiping zealots". Not exactly a positive change. And I'm still baffled by the decision to ditch the infantry carapace armor design for spandex..
  8. EliteEskimo

The VS definitely need someone to make an Ultimate VS Refurbishment Thread :cool:

But hey at least you don't drive a tank with a mechanically flawed designed that looks a box :eek:

On a side note, Higby said Vanu weapons are getting a sound overhaul in the future so yay! :D
  9. Prudentia

Luperza already said in another thread on that Topic that the faction specific Server assignment is already in Play, i can't say if ist true, but i want to believe her :p
    • Up x 1
  10. Zorro

Besides design (every faction needs to look cool in its own way) there needs to be better in-game descriptions of the empires, with their ideologies accentuated. NC would still have the greatest population and VS the least (due to ideals and beliefs), but there would be no more misunderstandings and more faction loyalty.
    • Up x 1
  11. EliteEskimo

Here's what the current population trends have been (Credit goes to Compass)

[IMG]

As we can see the NC has always been either the most populated faction or tied for most populated faction. It seems that the VS and TR are currently pretty even though so that's nice.
  12. MNO

I'd rather have the prowler looks than the Magrider tbh. Prowler looks threatening, Magrider looks lazy.

VS design = Lasers and hovering stuff, that's as innovative as it gets. When you look at TR, everyone can agree they have a kind of Stormtrooper/****-or-evil-army feel.

VS are supposed to be big on technology and **** yet compared to NC and TR we're behind on even developing full face helmets.
  13. Crashsplash

The thing that I love is often the implication that the fault, such that there is, is that of the over-populated empire itself.

This is a question of the devs to resolve and it's foolish to think that players can do this.

One thing that everyone had to accept is that there will always be balance issues. Rebalancing is an on-going process and the best that can ever be done is to be 'pretty close' to being balanced. Consequently, imbalances in population should be addressed by bonuses, as they are. If the %boost isn't enough the devs should look to increasing it.
  14. EliteEskimo

Well after I'm done with the Ultimate TR refurbishment thread part 2 and hopefully get some of the ideas implemented I "may" make a Vanu version if no one has by then or if the Vanu haven't been improved by then. That being said I'm hesitant of doing so because people may be like "Eskimo you only play Vanu to test their weapons, you no right to make this thread:mad: " :rolleyes:
  15. Zorro

I might make the thread after I am finished with other projects. Any other VS player is more than welcome to make it, however. You are a great thread writer, but it is only fair that a VS Refurbishment Thread be made by a member of the VS.
    • Up x 1
  16. MNO

Design team as a whole needs a slap, part of me has this horrible feeling that the only reason the character design is so bad is that it's intentional and means they can slowly build up the "cool factor" with cosmetic armours and helmets in the SC shop.
  17. EliteEskimo

If you ever want help proof reading it or finalizing it shoot me a PM Zorro :cool:
    • Up x 1
  18. Ash87

Thank god.
  19. gigastar

I cant bellieve im the first one to point this out, but that info is a month old.
  20. HadesR

Yup .. Be interesting to see an up to date one after WG rotation