[Suggestion] Explosives mitigation deployable

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stormsinger, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Stormsinger

In response to the proposed HE / splash changes on test, how about this option instead:

Allow engies to deploy Anti Explosives shields that function in a similar manner to the new Medic shield regen bubble. Players within the field would be granted +25 - 50% resistance (somewhere in there) vs certain damage types. This would allow defenders additional ways to defend against invading armor firing into bases, while encouraging attackers to use infantry of their own.

Resistance to PPA, tank shells, fury, bulldog, etc... from fixed defensive points could potentially go a long way in allowing both armor and infantry to remain relevant to base caps - Armor / vehicle mounted weapons could remain un-nerfed, or at least as un-nerfed as they currently are on live, while granting a bonus to well prepared defenders.

Depending on resistance levels / implementation, this could go a long way in terms of contributing to overall balance. Personally, I think taking a direct hit from any tank shell should 1-shot (this is problematic vs TR, due to firing speed / shell count, but eh - I can live with it. Until the marauder stops sucking, the main cannon is really all ES TR armor has, in terms of effective toys.) Armor should rule the open road (Excluding mines and AV nests) But I wouldnt be opposed to additional defensive tools being used in bases if it allows armor to remain relevant.

Thoughts?

Edit: I also like the idea of the deployable working vs placed explosives. Pizza deliveries / C4 would become less effective vs sundies - requiring that the attacking unit use small arms to remove the shield would give sundy defenders another few moments to react, while negating the effectiveness of driver-delivered C4. This would also assist vs mines not targettable via the engie-tool disarm function.
    • Up x 2
  2. DeusExForever

A couple of vehicles it's not an issue. But we're talking about no caps on vehicles, so 20+ are blasting with explosives. And that doesn't even include the aircraft and it's HE splash. That much splash, there's no mitigation for it. It's simply a zerg game.
  3. Stormsinger

Yep, although it would still help from a stray shell. No amount of nerfing will help vs 20 tanks shelling a doorway, but increased mitigation would be nice for small to mid-size fights.

Another potential option would be allowing engies to deploy an energy shield in front of a door / window capable of blocking all projectiles / splash, but still allowing infantry / grenades to pass through - That could be potentially overpowered, but i'd prefer an OP defensive tool to increasingly underpowered armor.
  4. stalkish

TBH, when i first heard about the medic aura heal, and the new medic shield charge field thing :confused: i was skeptical and didnt realy like the idea. But now i realy like those implementations.
    Your blast reducer thing would defo fit into the catergory.
    I like it.

Question:
    (Perhaps you said in OP but i missed it.)
    Who would use this device? Seems fitting for the medic to use, but thats only due to the other deployable. Engi would be obv choice but it already has so much, could be a turret slot item tho.
    • Up x 1
  5. DorianOmega

This would be awesome, maybe make it so no explosives at all could get through the shield to protect against rocket launchers and grenades too.
  6. Stormsinger

Engies, preferebly - they are due for a refresh as per the roadmap - I'd even be willing to give up a turret in my loadout in exchange for being able to bring shield along.

With the resource revamp impending, grenades will become much, much less spammable - they should remain a viable opener to help clear a room prior to a breach. Rockets are cheesy, but they are still an infantry tool - I believe the goal should be to grant defenders a bonus vs vehicles in general, but I can see the shield working vs rockets as well. Really, either would work. :p
    • Up x 1
  7. stalkish

What about Jamie in your sig there?
    Will his explosive of choice be affected by this?
    Id say no since a sneaky LA could put a stop to the deployable, it could be the counter to it.
    How much health would the item itself have?
    id say more than the medic shield device, enough so 1 frag doesnt kill it. Or perhaps have it be resistant to splash like the squad beacon, make it so only small arms can kill it or a direct hit with a rocket / shell. No point in having it resist explosives if the explosives it resists kill it.
  8. Pikachu

Sure but it would not happeen until the engineer update which is unscheduled which means at least 6 months away.
  9. Stormsinger

I mentioned this in my original post edit, but yeah, very good points. I like the idea of having the deployable itself be vulnerable to small arms / direct hits from explosives, while remaining immune (or perhaps just resistant) to splash. This would also help vs infantry lobbing C4 like grenades (although a near direct C4 explosion should still blow an infantry even through the shields, it is a resource consuming thingy, and resources in general will soon be much more scarce then they currently are. )

In terms of tank mines, I would prefer the shield negate a 1-shot vs up to three mines, but 4 or 5 should still get through. This would help vs untargettable mines around sundies, but still allow a dedicated engie to blast the sundy. (If he has times to place 4 mines AND blow them up, sundy defense isnt doing it's job.) C4 delivered by one or two units (Drifter LA's, for example) shouldnt be able to blow the sundy easily, infantry should have to get close in order to remove the shield before being allowed to nuke the sundy, etc.)
  10. stalkish

The more i hear, the more i like it :D , SOE should look into this.
    • Up x 1
  11. DeusExForever

Mitigation with infantry would be a healing role. Healers comes in two forms: pre-emptive mitigating damage (absorbs/passive healing) and active healing (direct healing and burst heals).

Engineers can put up deflection shields and can repair any damage to vehicles, that's their domain (BF2142 Support actually put up the bullet/blast shields, as engineers were needed for repairing turrets and vehicles).

Only wish I could heal actively in PS2, as that's what I love about PvP healing in MMORPGs, it's 10x more active than raiding (also the triage mode factor). PS2 I rarely touch that role as it doesn't play like a dedicate healer, it's but a glorified human healer kit. Also there's no heal box to watch the squad. Outside a MMORPG, I'm wanting a heal box to heal with ... lol ... no box, it's play another role that doesn't require it.
  12. stalkish

Would you class active healing as something like the healing frag (not sure how it works but i assume it gives the recipient a chunk of health). And the medic healing aura (F) is the other form?
    Just trying to understand your take on healing 'forms'.
    Where does the medic rez gun fit into these?
  13. DeusExForever

Active is busy work of direct healing (PS2 it's using the healing tool; AoE healing), compared to passive/absorb (mitigation) healing that is a byproduct of adding some mitigation to someone you heal (e.g., shields too).

In a FPS, I'm seeking to do something other than aim a tool or use the F key. Even turning terminals is more interesting (anything is better than a literal heal bot).

Example of all I do in WoW...

That's why I don't heal much in PS2, bored too tears. :(