Explain the jackhammer to me

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by disgruntled newbie, Nov 30, 2013.

1. disgruntled newbie

You have a shotgun, that does less damage than other shotguns and can't take slugs but has higher accuracy and a burst feature.

But... It's like everything about this weapon is contrary. At 0-5 meters, the higher accuracy is actually a disadvantage because you're more likely to miss a target outright than to connect with a partial hit like if you are using a Sweeper. You can kill in one burst, but Sweeper can already kill in 2 shots in about the same amount of time give or take a few milliseconds and doesn't have the down time. If your Jackhammer burst fails then you're dead while you reset the weapon where the Sweeper can frequently get out a 3rd or 4th shot in a close quarters engagement to finish off the enemy. 5-10 meters seems to be the only thing the Jackhammer really owns. It scores more hits pellet hits than other shotguns here, but beyond that range, even with your "higher" accuracy your pellets are going to start missing. Once that happens it is impossible to compete with shotgun slugs which are laser accurate and don't suffer from the extreme damage falloff of buckshot.

So basically it's a 1000-cert faction unique weapon that has an effective range of 10 meters, and only half of that is relatively exclusive because other shotguns are already decisive at 0-5 meters. Why use a Jackhammer instead of an SMG, which has similar accuracy from the hip, covers a similar effective range, and is a lot less risky?

Am I missing something?
  2. sodopro

Cause it's awesome.

Stats ain't everything.
    • Up x 6
  3. Pikachu

Needs slugs.
    • Up x 2
  4. Gahuln

Explain the NC AI Max to me - that's why.
  5. Alarox

This. This. This. This. This. This. This. This.

That.
  6. MuNrOe

A Rage inducing POS that SOE keep changing on me in an attempt to make me have a stroke and die.
    • Up x 1
  7. thePankakeManne

Style points: the Jackhammer has all of them. Besides, despite the fact that statistically it might not be awesome, it's awesome anyway.

In addition, I refer to my NC05 JH as "the King of Cannons": mauling the hell out of people with its burst mode brings a smile to my face every time.

Totally worth 1000 certs. :cool:
    • Up x 2
  8. Mxiter

• Up x 1
  9. Pie Chasm

You're missing EVERYTHING.

It's two shots to kill for everything non-heavy, like with any shotgun, the difference is you can do this beyond the 10 meter range that all other shotguns are restricted to, WITHOUT SLUGS, due to the small spread, yet it has the same RoF as the other semi-autos.

Putting slugs on this weapon is a complete waste, because slugs aren't subject to any kind of spread... they are SLUGS, not SHOT. You are basically forfeiting the biggest advantage this weapon has over other shotguns.

It is the best shotgun in the game, because shotguns are primarily CQC weapons, it kills in the same amount of time, or less with burst fire mode, that other guns do, but at a greater distance.

It is the best shotgun statistically. It just isn't apparent if you don't understand what spread is.
    • Up x 3
  10. KnightCole

How do you kill anything beyond a few meters with this gun? I mean, sure it has better accuracy then a normal shotty, that I gotta say is kinda nice. However, the gun still isnt any more effective beyond any normal shotgun range. The better accuracy almost seems redundant and pointless. I do like 12 rounds it gets though +D
  11. disgruntled newbie

You...really can't. It's still possible to get a two shot kill further than 10 meters, but the chances of it happening diminish VERY rapidly. At 15 meters, because of the damage falloff you need 11 of your 12 pellets to connect. Which is pretty unlikely. Jackhammer's buckshot has a longer effective range than other shotguns, sure, but reality is that we're talking about the difference between shooting across a small room versus halfway across a small room.
  12. Pie Chasm

That can be applied to every other shotgun in the game.

You simply don't like shotguns.
  13. Ceskaz

What the jackhammer has the sweeper don't :
    • 12 shot with extended mag (without, it's 9 vs 8 for sweeper; OK it's just one more, but it's one more shell to hammer the skull of enemy !)
    • reload speed of 2.6/3.6 sec (vs 3/4 for sweeper)
    • Burst can be nice. In defense, it can be an insta-gib machine on everything goind through a door
    • The feeling you can use a shotgun outside 5 meters. Under 5 meter, well sorry to say that but learn to aim, like every no shotties firearm.
    • Up x 3
  14. Rabbitofdoom

In certain range when we are talking about pellets Jackhammer can be only out competed buy pump action shotguns. Go to VR you will see that in certain farly common range sweeper will kill in 5-6 somtimes even more shots. Pump acton in 2 and Jackhammer in 2 burst shots. Making them only shotguns that are competitive vs carbines.
    • Up x 1
  15. jiggu

The reality is that you click B for burst fire and keep oneshotting people far outside pump action range.
  16. KnightCole

I still find my EM6 more useful in even Jackhammer situations. The increased mag count is so very helpful. The range of the EM6 is helpful...yes...

Jackhammer I pull out for the occasional cheap *** kill but quickly find myself missing my EM6.

Clear the tower of enemies, then go into the bay to scan........I suddenly feel very helpless with the JH. Ive killed guys in the bay with it but it takes far to long and the entire mag of the JH to do it.
  17. NovaAustralis

If your aim is good, you can guarantee gib 4 enemies in close-quarters before they know it.
    It's the reload after that which will get you killed...
    (Sometimes the weapon switch too... sooooo slow)
    But yes, it's loads of fun to use! :)
    • Up x 1
  18. Schwak

It's a tower/building camping weapon. Don't be sad about the skillhammer, MCG and Lasher still suck.
  19. FieldMarshall

Talk numbers all you want, Jackhammer is badass thats all i need to know.
    • Up x 1
  20. KnightCole

Meh, had a few instances that were at like 20m, took the entire mag to kill the people. THey were stationary, I was ADS and yeah, whole mag lol. If thats an amazing ranged shotgun, I do not wanna see the "not good range" shotguns....