Excited for New Alert System

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Czuuk, May 3, 2013.

1. Czuuk

When is that scheduled?
  2. TheFencer0

...What?
    • Up x 5
  3. Czuuk

According to source materials, continent cap alertz should be starting on the "most balanced' continent. Not the one where one faction has like 10% pop and 6% territory. Indar was the obvious choice. Esamir popped instead. I logged off to play Neverwinter.

See you 3.5 hours.
  4. TheFencer0

Actually, I thought alerts existed in the exact opposite fashion -- they are an attempt to balance out a continent which currently has a bad population ratio. According to that logic, then the Alert was spot on.
    • Up x 3
  5. Czuuk

My information comes from a pretty reliable source.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/recap-friday-night-ops-episode-29.120372/

It was a paraphrasing of an answer to a direct question to Luperza. So I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.
  6. Accuser

Indeed.
    Everyone was on Indar and the Alerts are supposed to draw attention to the less-populated continents. You don't get to fight on Indar every time here, lol.
    And hey, at least it wasn't Amerish in this case!
  7. Zotamedu

• Up x 1
  8. TheFencer0

I've noticed that is not how Alert work at all. I've been pretty good a predicting them, and without fail, they happen on the continent with the worst population balance, unless that continent just had an alert, then it goes to the second worst balanced.
  9. vaxx

Hold on...you are NC on Waterson, and complaining about having a low pop, and low territory control? How about watching your video again and notice all the pops.

LOL this is classic.

If you would not have logged off, you would have seen the NC pop drop from other continents and fill up Esamir. Seems like a lot of crying for nothing.
  10. Torok

as Zotamedu said, they don't work as you think OP

they start at offpeak hours, if the pop is lower than other servers than more often, and i'm almost sure the continent set by the alert is cyclical
  11. Czuuk

No.
  12. Czuuk

Well not according to a direct quote from Luperza. So if there is some issue with my statement, take it up with her.
  13. Liquid23

I was under the impression they just picked continents at random or maybe in a set rotation... haven't been on long enough in a single session to see a pattern tho
  14. vaxx

Yes.
  15. Zotamedu

I don't know how the actual mechanic works since I never play for long enough straight to be able to pick up any distinct patterns but I do know that I have seen alerts on continents where one faction had almost all the population and almost all the land. I have seen this from both sides. Both as the losing side that started an alert warpgated and with zero land and a full platoon guarding the warpgate and from the winning side where we had 60 % population and over half the map when the alert started. That time we ended up taking over 90 % of the map and then the last bases fell about ten minutes after the alert ended.
    • Up x 2
  16. Czuuk

Exactly. What I first expected (the use of the continent alerts as a load balancing technique) was not the way it was described to me in a direct answer to a question to SOE's primary community representative. It has popped a number of times on Waterson with some very bad situations for one or more of the factions. We got a full cap in 30 minutes once because the thing started on a continent that was already 80% capped and NC had 70% pop.

I mean, I liked the quick win and all, but it wasn't exactly in keeping with the spirit of the alert system.
  17. Czuuk

I don't think you watched FNO episode 29 or listened to the direct answer that Luperza gave us when we asked her. But you know, you're free to believe whatever you want.
    • Up x 1
  18. Czuuk

Please to be watching FNO Episode 29. This is not the answer that we were given. I expected it to be that way but apparently it is not. The whole system is borked in any case. Which is why I am excited for the new alerts. :D
  19. Zotamedu

They really should set some conditions for the alerts so it isn't just a free cert give away for one faction. Few people actually bother trying to save a continent where they are vastly outnumbered as long as they don't own that continent. So as long as the XP is given globally, people don't want to fight against overwhelming forces to maybe get a couple of extra certs in the end. It's quite hard to break out from a camped warpgate unless the numbers are equal because you have very limited options. There's three bases to attack and that's it. I have a strange feeling that they are either just randomly picking one or that they are alternating. How ever they actually do it doesn't really matter because it's clearly broken.

I would also love some more objectives being implemented. They talked about it before they added the current alerts. There was talk about owning the most of a certain type of base all over the continents which sounds a lot more interesting because it's a global objective forcing people to cooperate on a global scale. That's what I thought this game was supposed to be about.
  20. Czuuk

From what I've read/heard it seems the new system of alerts will add some games like, hold all bio labs, hold all tech planets, etc. Not sure if the current system will be completely scrapped or if the new stuff will be an additional type of alert. I'm fine either way honestly. The current system is about 50/50 for me. If there were other types in the rotation (maybe some with some shorter timers) I'd be fat, dumb and happy.