Everyone is complaining about the new launchers. How many of you have REALLY tried them?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Ztiller, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Ztiller

He never said any of those things. He made a single, factual, statement.
  2. FnkyTwn

The Official Lancer Feedback Thread has multiple reviews from different outfits
    that have tested it as a group. It's difficult to coordinate, and the only thing the
    Lancer so far seems to excel at is last-hit kill stealing.
  3. FnkyTwn

That's why I put a question mark at the end of those two sentences.
    I'm asking him if that's what his opinion is. I want to know his opinion
    on the Lancer, even though I might disagree with him.

Previously he stated (in this same thread):
  4. Flukeman62

I tried them all and I found the phoenix to be the most FUN and medium effective, the striker to be the least FUN but most effective, and the lancer was mid FUN but the least effective.
  5. Roy Teppert

Hahaha, where did you get that idea?! Obviously they need to tweak the weapons and fix the bugs associated with them. Man, *your* reading comprehension is atrocious.
  6. Draxo

Most people complaining are just sobbing because they're getting killed by something. if they had their way this would be a war with nerf weaponry.
  7. Kcalehc

It does...

Hit 'E' or whatever your 'Eject from aircraft' key is. you will immediately be brought back to your launcher, the rocket will continue on its way, dropping at abou tthe same rate as a regular dumbfire.
  8. ReconTeemo

I tried 3 in the vr training. I have to say nc and vs does more damage than the striker(tr).
  9. llPendragon

I played with the Phoenix for 6 to 8 hours over 2 days before solidifying my opinion.
    I compared the pros and cons, looked for new load-outs to work with it, talked with other experience users, checked online for possible bug fixes, and used it whenever and where-ever I was to try and find a new idea or use for the Phoenix. I tried to come back on the second day with an optimistic attitude, and looked for any changes due to patching.
    After all that, I came back to something very close to my initial impression. The Phoenix does not have enough benefits to replace any other launcher, much less the one's I've had to change play styles around. In fact, I believe it actually killed me to use it. It also promoted a style of game play that hurt my team/squad/platoon.
    Opnion:
    Epic fail. BIggest POS gun I've ever used.
  10. FnkyTwn

^ Even this post of yours seems like it's looking for more 'general bug fixes' to "weapons" without being specific.

I got the idea that you thought the Lancer was 'good' as-is from your other post here:
    ^...Where you basically say the same thing Ztiller is saying.. that it would be great to have a squad or two of HAs using them together.

What specifically would you fix with the Lancer? Or is it fine as-is?
  11. Roy Teppert

There are countless small tweaks and changes that can and will be made to this weapon. This, as well as other weapon, will be changed as the game changes. I am talking about the Lancer in a larger sense: as a concept. I'm not concerned with the small, insignificant, short term details that you are so focused on. If you want to know what necessary fixes are being made to it for the time being, read up on what Higby has said.
  12. Prodigal

There's absolutely 0 skill required to do what's shown in the video. If you're not able to do that, you should consider another hobby.
    • Up x 1
  13. Guadoc

Just press your exit vehicle button (E by default) and it does exactly that.
  14. Somisary

I've tried the Lancer quite a bit.

It's OK I suppose, would be worthwhile just as a reskin for the S1. The DPS is terrible though. 3 seconds to fully charge each shot plus a 5 second reload every two shots. Even then each shot will do a pretty pathetic amount of damage. I'm glad to hear it's getting a buff.

And just as a reminder to the many people who keep forgetting, the Lancer does have a 'counter'. It has the same counter as every launcher in the game. You can kill the person firing it. The Lancer even helps you by drawing a line to exactly where that person is. If you're being harassed by someone using the Lancer, my advice would be to look for the trail and then shoot the heavy assault. I know this works, because it's what happens every time I attack a tank at less than 250m.

Beyond that you should have enough time to get to cover, unless it's a group of 8 HAs... in which case you're probably going to die regardless of what weapon they're using.
  15. KnightCole

I can tell you the TR launcher is very nice, had a Flash with a dude on the back come up and rear end rocket **** the hell outta my vanguard. Sucked fo sho lol. If that thing is being buffed....yikes.
  16. Oreo202

I trialed the phoenix yesterday... More fun in that 30 minutes than I've had using the lancer for the past few days.
    • Up x 2
  17. Mekhazzio

I'll bite. Relative to the other launchers in the game, I think the Lancer, right now, is actually a smidge on the high side. Break it down:

Relative to the standard ATGM, the Lancer has 1 second more prep time for full charge vs lock, and up to 25% less damage for shots past 100 meters, and less capability on pointblank snapshots. That's it; that is the complete list of its cons vs the Hades.

In return for that, you get to attack with no warning, with no possible target countermeasures or evasion, and can hit any exposure to a range beyond the typical lines of sight on most terrain, including air. You can, essentially, hit anything you can see, which means it's applicable to far more situations than the ATGM is. In addition, you get the highest ammo efficiency of any launcher, both from total damage per loadout and in reduction of overkill waste -and-, because you get two shots per reload, it's the highest DPS non-dumbfire launcher. Depending on the scale of the incoming charge time buff, it could wind up being the highest DPS launcher including dumbfires.

It's not only more flexible than the Hades, it's more powerful too, by any measure you care to make. The only scenarios where the ATGM has an advantage are ones where the dumbfires are vastly superior anyway, and those are few and far between in an AV context. Frankly, if you're going tank-hunting as Vanu, there's no reason to use anything else but the Lancer. The AV turret is the only thing competitive in range or effective damage output on non-trivial targets, and it has severe flexibility restrictions and even if you ignore those, it still has worlds inferior response time.

Now, I personally think that all of the launchers in the game are underpowered for AV work, given the current state of the repair gun, but that doesn't reflect on intra-class comparisons, where the Lancer is sitting pretty. It has some rough edges on usability, but nothing that breaks its role except for the first charge cap bugs.

Frankly, the griping about the Lancer mystifies me. It's so much better than the other launchers that I have to wonder if the complainers have just not ever done any tank-hunting at all until now. Lacking a base of reference is the only way I can see grounds for criticism...because, let's face it, all AV capability on infantry is pretty weak. The Lancer's not a tank murderer, but it is easily the best of a bad lot.
  18. SolRG

Well, speaking from experience, the lancer is in fact terrible. Even if you land every shot and charge up the shots, better off with a lock on, like the nemesis. Shoot faster and do more damage, flares and smoke MAY impede you, but its not a big deal cause you do significantly more damage.
    The striker i haven't used, but i've been up against it and when in the right hands it can be fantastic.
    Similar with the phoenix, i would say anyone who has had a bit of practise and doesn't just ***** out it would do well with it, either using it as an explosive sniper rifle, or hitting tanks from behind cause they never hear a lock on and much less ability to dodge it than a dumb fire.
    Basically, NC and TR ones have their uses, but aren't the best overall, but the VS one just sucks. The idea was good, kind of and i would say its the coolest looking, but its just not useful.
  19. Serin

Your crazy Mekhazzio, Its the lowest dps by far
    Lancer
    Single shot 108 dps
    Charged Shots 123 dps if you let go as soon as the charge is done 4 sec
    Charged Shots 106 dps if you wait for the auto fire 1 sec after fully charged

Dont forget thats only up to 100m past that its lower dps and only if you hit all of the shots

Hades
    Dumbfire 288 dps
    Lock on 208 dps.

s1
    Dumbfire 326 dps

Not to mention the lock on is super easy to use, wait for lock and click. Lancer requires aim and leading with of bugs, charge bugs, and a graphic that doesn't match the projectile. Even with the buffs/fixes the extra time you can hold the charge is going to lower the dps even more!
    • Up x 1
  20. Rhumald

I see that someone else has already highlighted that part, but I figured I'd make it apparent, it is bad, I'm not complaining, I don't play VS, I play NC, I'm just saying it like it is (I do purchase and test these kinds of weapons though, so I'm not spouting nonsense).

The thing is, even if your full charge shot hits, there's quite a few draw backs to those charged shots (that are not instantaneous, fast, but not instant), and those draw backs are as follows:
    • If you want to scope charge your shot, you need to remain scoped during the entire charge
    • If you attempt to charge a shot without scoping, you will not be able to scope fire your charged shot
    • The gun auto fires at max charge, you cannot hold the charge while you aim it, then release.
    • It does minimal damage compared to every single other launcher
    • A maximum charged shot does little more damage then a single striker rocket (that's if the full shot hits, assuming it actually uses 3 projectiles, I've not seen differences in damage hitting the same part of the armor myself though)
    • It does not connect with infantry most of the time, meaning you need to rely on the even further minimized splash damage and very small splash radius (hope you can hit their feet)
    • It takes longer to charge then most lock on rockets do to acquire a lock.
    Really, you're better off using a different launcher, every time, all the time, over this one, until they up the damage, and let you hold your charge.