EU Network Performance Update

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by PromptCritical, Feb 8, 2015.

1. PromptCritical Developer

Hi folks,

I wanted to provide all EU players with an update on network status over the weekend.

Here are some charts that show the average ping time and connection quality for the top 10 ISPs (by # of users) coming in to AMS on 7 February.

ICMP echo (ping) to AMS gateway

Overall connection quality (Packet loss and resend rate, 100% is optimal)

Note that Level3 has acknowledged the saturation of its route with DTAG, and both parties are working to try to resolve the issue.

Also note that the ping value shown in these charts in not the same as the "Latency" value shown in the game. The "Latency" value also includes the zone server processing time, which can add a substantial amount of overhead (see any of the World Record streams for examples). The "Latency" value is also EXTREMELY sensitive to packet loss. This is why you will sometimes see 1000+ ms values for "Latency".

The PS2 team is committed to identifying and reducing server latency whenever possible. We identified several areas for improvement following the World Record attempt on Jaeger (e.g. respawn is taking WAY too much server time).

The team has also introduced a new method for managing time synchronization between the client and the server, which should drastically reduce the client sensitivity to packet loss (and improve time sensitive server tasks like hit registration). We're still testing this feature out, but will keep you updated when it goes to TEST.

Please response with any questions or comments. I will continue to provide information as soon as I receive it.
    Thanks
    • Up x 9
  2. xMaxdamage

thanks for letting us know man :D
  3. shluetty

Just want to point out that I am with Kabel Deutschland and contradictory to the graphs I am having exactly those huge level 3 problems everyone is talking about.
    Shows in tracerouts, went from insanely high ping to packet loss when you guys opened up the second route and my ping is never below 200 lately...
  4. ToxicFire

Ahh, thats made things a little clearer, looking for innovative ways to solve that server overhead is gonna be the path too take, one question though is the hardware specs for the eu and us servers identical?
  5. PromptCritical Developer

Yes, the hardware is the same. The difference is the network traffic. AMS requires double the bandwidth because it handles both Miller and Cobalt. LVS/ABE/SYD only have one server each (Connery,Emerald,Briggs).
  6. sIcGER

um - but didnt ams had to handle 4 servers before merging ?

i mean - i really dont get it... why are there so many problems with the traffic, when it was a lot more before and ran fine ?
    • Up x 1
  7. Zorg

Very nice to get some news about the network performance issue that has been going on for months now and got worse lately, making the game barely playable for me even though I have an optical fiber connection that works very fine with every other application/game.

Thanks for the update :)
  8. Goretzu

Something needs to be done, I go from a perfectly playable ping to a totally unplayable one at random recently, makes playing the game totally pointless.

Which is actually more frustrating than the days when it is just a purely unplayable ping.

The EU servers, and Miller especially have alway been iffy, but the last few weeks have been plain terrible.
  9. NinjaTurtle

Are you also looking at the US servers. Emerald is having major problems and plenty of people are mentioning Connery to as a mess right now with regards to degrading performance
  10. maxxlight

...dont want to be the party pooper, but i hope anyone knows about the issues between Level3 and DTAG and this doesnt seem to get to an end:

German References (2014):
    http://www.heise.de/netze/meldung/N...ussert-sich-zu-Peering-Problemen-2390214.html
    http://www.golem.de/news/level-3-se...msen-peering-absichtlich-aus-1405-106318.html
    http://www.onlinekosten.de/news/art...nd-Netzneutralitaet-Zahlen-sollen-die-Anderen

Auf Deutsch: Macht euch nichts vor, solange die beiden streiten passiert hier garnichts !!!
  11. Djangoff

I think the internet peering issues have/are obscuring the real problem as you suggest with the zone server processing time.

My ping at prime time to one of the gateways of Cobalt (via BT Public Internet Services):

Code:
    --- 69.174.194.168 ping statistics ---
    3573 packets transmitted, 3571 received, 0% packet loss, time 3577272ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 19.038/20.855/45.275/1.906 ms
    Remains fairly consistent at around 20ms with the odd spike to 40ms, yet the in game latency is often an order of magnitude higher around 150-200ms in larger battles (46-96+) and even worse at time. I'm running CPU bound on an I7 4770k @ 4.8 Ghz and getting 50-60 FPS in the biggest battles, so I'm fairly sure client side network frame times are not compounding the issue.

I can appreciate that difficulty in optimising the game sever-side but having a tick rate in the range of 5-10FPS for an MMOFPS even with reasonable linear-interpolation based lag compensation makes for a lacklustre gaming experience.

I hope this bottleneck can be resolved quickly.
  12. xMaxdamage

What about all the ppl that play from different countries (not germany) but have lag problems? Will the lag be over when this stuff will be hopefully fixed?

Btw I dont understand how daybreak can accept wut its happening, an ISP is making ps2 lose players every day since december, Cant you just change the dealer of the service if it's not anymore what you and us paid for? I mean what company would accept to be basically scammed by another company that fail to even admit there's a problem even after months? You are basically giving a picture where your company doesn't care about ps2 and your customers. Your company seems to prefer the customers loss (and conseguent money loss) instead of spending that little more money to change the dealer of the service. Hell even here in Italy, where telecom ruled with no other competitors for decades, now we can switch to ISPs that don't rely on the shltty telecom infrastructures.
  13. Ripfield

@RadarX: Ok, thank you, man, for throwing light onto that issue. I guess most of us EU-players have not suspected otherwise, than the EU-server-hardware being responsible for approximately 200% of the traffic a US-counterpart-server has to stem. Sounds like a very good idea someone very smart must have had -and it plays out exactly like that, since I came across PS2. I therefor of course would have preferred the US servers, if only my connectivity would have allowed the change.

But -if I wanted to play this title as say a EU citizen- I now have no other option, than to wait until so many EU-players have left the game entirely that the hardware will or may be sufficient on your side to provide relatively fluid gameplay to the rest of us? That´s honest of you to state (if indirectly) and honestly I cheer up to crucial and severe problems finally being addressed openly. So, yeah, thank you again for the detail.

Yet, this of course provokes the quite old -to my knowledge: unanswered- question, if players/potential customers are at all or only in a very small amount wanted here in EU? I mean: wut?! After more than two years and all the merges, don´t you came across the notion that all EU-players who have stayed with you nonetheless might be worthy some advancement instead of downgrading their experience even further -exactly like it plays out now? Now, is there any ambition on the company´s side to finally give the EU players the same quality and resource? Can we look ahead to something like this to ever happen?

I know-I know, I´m very waaah-waaah about all this and everything, but goddammit! What a mess and does this really have to be so complicated? Why the hell are US-customers preferred on your (the company´s) side? You do not want all of us to migrate into Murica, do you?

I may be partially stupid, but I never quite got my head wrapped around this weird policy of exclusion which I came to witness here.
    • Up x 2
  14. Zeblasky

Can you tell me, did you arrive on a decision whether or not you will work on a spawn system rework in order to increase performance and balance uneven fights all together? Ideas about that rework did had quite positive appreciation on reddit.
  15. Nintyuk

Which of those ISP's on that chart does Virgin media fall under I wonder?
    • Up x 1
  16. Thunde333

Connection is still broken on Cobalt. But now it shows good connection when its bad connection quality. I dont know if its a bug, but for me and alot more peoples on Cobalt the server is still like it was last week with high ping and connection quality bad but now it show good ping and good connection quality but that isnt true.
  17. Xen0n23

this, the game feels awful to play on cobalt..
  18. AllyElly

I agree with a lot of what you've said.

For me, and a lot of others, these issues started in december(end november).... this was never a problem before, something changed then and has been completely ignored until now, when it started affecting more and more players. As for what changed, only they truly know, but I can think of several with my tinfoil hat on.

Just to add to what you stated in terms of 'downgrading their experience'... I'm still of the opinion that eu servers should not have been merged. There should still be 4 servers for us. Whatever the reason behind merging the EU servers at same time as US was, who knows, but the last merge eu got wasn't based on population. Cobalt is so darn crowded, regardless of how great your machine is or your connection, some fights get so large you can't see anything, so many people that they only pop in and render a meter away, you look at percentage and see zone pop of a faction is 96+ and that only counts as 10-20%, its nuts... I'd have to say even though there are still large numbers, many on eu have left purely due to it being too crowded during prime time. The last server merge EU had did more damage to player experience than any bug or broken patch or latency issues could do.

Just my opinion, I'm sure many will disagree:)

@dev team, thanks for finally addressing this problem, hopefully we'll be able to play again soon
    • Up x 1
  19. lindatropa

Ok, then just can anyone answear, will be that fixed this month or a can go and find another game till this problem is fixed.

P.S. early i was fighting with FPS problem... now i buyed a new PC and got a new problem...

Now each time i log in, there is no problem in WG, then i leave WG territory and everything around start teleporting... flying... shooting through the walls.... and all like that... even cloaking uncloaking are breaking...
  20. PS2_Neteng Developer

We've been working with VirginMedia since November of last year to peer with them directly. VirginMedia's pipe capacity is full already and their Core requires upgrading as well. Hopefully, we'll get some news from them this week.