ETA for 2nd SMG?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BuddhiBadugi, Feb 16, 2013.

1. BuddhiBadugi

IIRC, it was said, that there will be two variants of the SMGs. One for really close combat, onne giving us a slightly better range. Does anyone know, which category the current SMGs belong in and when the 2nd one will come out? I want to get my hands on one of those things....SOON!
  2. centurionvi

When the first one stops selling.
  3. Tasogie

you dont need SMG's,certainly dont need two of them. dont rely on crutches. Use all the other weapons instead of feeling like you all have to use the same item.
  4. BlueSkies

The current weapons are the "fast upfront damage with short ammo" the second set of "lower, but more sustained damage due to higher ammo count" will be out soon. In the last FNO they said they might even be out before the next FNO.
    • Up x 2
  5. BuddhiBadugi

Well, I guess it's up to me, what I feel I need and what I don't need, right?

I don't want to get two of them, just the right one for me! I think it's a pretty good weapon and as it can be used by every class...actually a no-brainer to get one if you enjoy the game.
  6. BuddhiBadugi

That's helpful! Thx mate!
  7. Tasogie

I love the game, specially as I have spent well over 400$ on it, but I know I dont need to do what everyone els does, an still do well.
  8. Zaik

I believe they mentioned on FNO 20(most recent) that they might be in game before FNO 21(next friday), no idea how serious they were about that though.

That said, these sound like they're getting LMG cursed. Large magazine(in FNO they were all 60ish, but they said it was a placeholder), lower DPS. No real mention on how accurate they'd be when released though. Assuming they get the full LMG curse they will have horrible hipfire CoF's as well. Buyer beware, I suppose.
  9. sosolidshoe

They bloody well better have awful hipfire CoF; SOE need to stop releasing a second wave of weapons which are just a straight upgrade to the first, and I would be ultra-****ing-mega-angry if the new SMGs turn out to just be the old ones with a bigger default magazine size with some token lesser stat that makes no difference to their actual effectiveness(see; the bolt action snipers - wave 2 is categorically better than wave 1, except for a slower reload speed.....which makes no difference because the reload is still faster than the gap between two held breaths).

If they're serious about the new SMG's actually having different characteristics to the existing ones, I suspect these are being designed as a "middle ground" weapon for the Heavy Assault or Engineer, essentially a sidegrade for the CQC carbines and LMGs with a slightly larger bias towards very short range, but with better medium ranged ability than the existing SMGs, while those remain as the go-to SMGs for Infiltrators and LA's.
  10. Zaik

If it kills slower then it's pointless. Not that I think it should just be the same thing with a bigger magazine, but the first fact remains. They tried to do that with LMGs in beta, people just refused to play heavy assault.
  11. Tnsr

No class needs more SMGs than the one in the game currently besides the Infiltrator. And it'd be better to buff the scout rifles as an alternative instead of releasing new SMGs. But well...new toys mean new money for SOE.