[Vehicle] ESF secondary weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by oscarcar2Vanu, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Klabauter8

Not at all... Just because you are optimized for fighting doesn't mean you have it easier than others. It also means that you will have to engage a lot more into fights and have to risk your ***. I started to play as HA because I thought it was pretty fun and just wanted to really engage in the battle. This doesn't mean I didn't die a lot though. Much in contrary.

Now I have settled to engineering, and I actually find it even better. But apart from the fun, it is also pretty save and easy to make good certs with. Most of the time I just sit in my Harrasser and laugh while driving over infantry peasants, since Engineers are perfect for vehicles. Other times, I just stay in cover and heal some MAXes or whatever needs to be repaired and distribute ammo, occasionally sending out some quick shots at the enemy. The only time I really have to take risks is when someone suddenly runs into my shotgun or mana turret, or when snipering units from mid-range. HA however, have to be right in the danger zone. It's their job.
  2. Rovertoo

Meanwhile the HA, covered in heavy armor, wielding a large Machine gun and whatever extra shield apparatus he's got can? And besides, I'm not talking about carrying anything extra (except in the case of the LA). I'm talking about loadout options. The Engineer already carries his turret, he would just have a third option. So the Engie can now choose between Standard AI turret, MANA AV turret, and a new AA turret. Infiltrators might be able to trade their Motion tracker for a new magnetic beacon that decreases lock on times, or trade their sniper rifle for a new Anti-Material rifle or something. Light Assaults would carry maybe a lightweight, weak single shot grenade launcher or something. I don't think anything here would detract from class flavor, but would add to it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Rovertoo

A class optimized for fighting in a game with no other role than fighting? Sounds like a plan to me.

Trust me, I like Engineer too, the turrets and repair abilities are great. But it still doesn't change the fact that the HA has an advantage compared to other classes in every situation that doesn't involve OHKs. Every one. There is a reason that it's the most played class by a long, long margin, and I think it's because it's too good at what it does (read: OP).
    • Up x 1
  4. Klabauter8

Yes, because its special ability is part of the armor. He just doesn't need a backpack for some additional armor shield, when its already part of the armor.
    I don't think this would be a good idea. You would have to have a really big turret then to provide enough cover from planes for you. Too big for engineers to be able to carry. Some random ESF easily could shoot you down if you are in a mana turret, no matter if AA ammo or not.
    Sure, but not sure how helpful this really would be though, especially if you don't even have lock-on weapons yourself.. I'd prefer the motion tracker any time.
    That would have to be a pretty big rifle then though to be able to pierce armor good enough. Sounds more like a rocket launcher what you want there if you ask me.
    This is a good idea, however it already exists. You can already add underbarrel grenade launchers for single LA, Medic and Engineer weapons.
  5. Klabauter8

If you really think it is only about fighting (in form of shooting at each other), then you are wrong. If your team wouldn't have engineers to repair MAXes, Medics to reanimate people, etc, then you would have no chance, no matter how many HA units you have.
    No, it only has advantages in serving as a meat shield. An Engineer for example is much better for ambushes, or using vehicles with. Or you can just use your grenade launcher and fire from around the corner the whole day while having infinite ammo. Not to mention all the possibilities you have when having your utility pouch maxed out. If this involves OHks doesn't matter, only the better. And MAX units are even better meat shields than HA, anyway (they also cost something though of course). I for one gladly let all these insane HAs and MAXes rush into their deaths to open the way for me. If this is what you wish, nobody stops you. My main job is to repair though.
    So if something is very popular it must be OP? People also listen to Justin Bieber a lot. Doesn't mean he is a good musician though.
  6. Rovertoo

Sorry for the stretched reply. I think I'm going to need to break down your response the same way. See above.
  7. Klabauter8

It's ok, I like me some detailed discussions, sometimes. Thank you :)

However, I still think HAs are fine the way they are. They are just the regular standart soldier, so of course many people use them. They may be better in 1vs1, and are very balanced (alround talents), but for good teamplay you need more than just this. And repairing, driving, healing, or sniping, etc also makes fun and you can make good certs with it. I wouldn't have a problem with other classes getting more tools to deal with different situations. But I still think HA should be the best when it comes to "alround talents".
    • Up x 1
  8. Rovertoo

I'll agree with this. The game would be tremendously boring if I couldn't fly or snipe or repair or whatever when I wanted to. But my biggest issue with the HA is that I don't think it is balanced, though it is fine in it's role as a front line soldier. It's not just good at 1v1s, it's good at 1v1s, 1vMany, and good against surprise attacks. Essentially it's the best class for any kind of fighting period, leaving the game in a pretty sad state where there is the Heavy Assault, the Medics supporting him, and Engineers in their vehicles. Two entire classes, focused entirely on combat, are eclipsed by the Heavy Assault because the HA counters LA and Infil play style. It's just not very healthy IMO.

Which is why I think adding a ramp up time to the HA shield but increasing it's HP gain would be a great change. That way Infiltrators and Light Assaults tactics (surprise attacks, 1v1) aren't countered but the HA shield would still be very powerful (more powerful than it is now) for raiding rooms and pushing points.