Engineer or Combat Medic for the Terran Republic?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Luminiouscow, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Freedym Fry

I gotta say about the ammo packs though, if you don't put certs into them, they disappear very quickly and the range is non-existant, you have to stand right on top of it, which is impractical for supplying any decent numbers. I wouldn't try to max it out either though, that's very expensive and you get capped out on exp quickly.

But not certing at all gives you an ammo pack that really doesn't do much. I would get the first two to three ranks, for those reasons. It's a cheap investment and it does make a big difference compared to the starting rank. If someone is standing three feet away from a basic pack, they probably aren't getting resupplied, and no one likes to stand still in this game.

I would definitely getting a couple ranks long before maxing the repair tool due to return on your certs for lower cost improvements.
  2. Luminiouscow

3. Luminiouscow

4. Hoki

Choose.. wisely..

For you may never play the other once you do..
  5. Thrasis

Medics die more often doing what they do. Being around corpses is risky. Engineers get less XP from what they do unless there is a Max and a corner to repair from. Pick your poison.
  6. Zeghart

They are completely different.

The Engineer's main perk is flexibility. Need to kill some guys? You're pretty decent at it. Enemy vehicles rolling around? You have ways to deal with them. Your squad needs support? You can (HAVE TO) provide it and get some xp for it. Want to drive around in tanks or fly ESF? You're probably the most suited class to do so. They are jack of all trades, master of (almost) none, and they're needed in most fights.

If the Heavy Assault is the backbone of a squad, the Combat Medic is the heart. They're what keeps the fight going on, and they're essential in pretty much every situation. On top of that, they're amazing against infantry, packing some serious firepower. They are however fairly helpless against enemy vehicles, unless you invest in some C4 and have amazing positioning. They are probably the best way to earn XP and certs quickly as a new player by healing/reviving, but that also means that you're going to spend an awful lot of time poiting your medic tool on people.

In the end, together with the Heavy Assault they make the essential squad and should always be present in every battle. This means switching from one or the other depending on which classes other people have around you. At the core this is still a team game, and cooperation is what it's going to make you win, not individual skill or focusing your certs into a single class.

As to what to start with first? I love the Engineer, but the stock equipment on both yourself and your vehicles probably isn't going to make a very great impact on the field. Stick with the Medic, get that xp and certs, and branch out from there if you want to.
  7. Luminiouscow

So you're saying that the engineer class is sort of the best class while the medic is great for raking up certs?