[Guide] ENGINEER GUIDE (NC)

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Seython, May 20, 2014.

1. Seython

Hey guys, just a heads up: this is my first guide and I do not claim to be a pro, but hope to help new players get a good feel of the game. Before Note, i play NC so any weapon recommendations or references will be NC based, but could be transcribed for other factions (ex. Gauss Compact S=Trac 5 S=Solstice SF)
    Introduction
    The Engineer as a whole is a support class with great Offensive capabilities, and in my opinion has one of the greatest versatility on the field, if certed properly.
    1. Weapons (Mostly Opinions, but I have experience with them)
    An engineer's weapon is one of the most important hings he can have, since you are always going to need to fight. The default weapon is really a good option with decent damage, ROF, and reload time. Another good weapon, and one of my favorites is the Razor (Free if you take the Quiz and Select Engineer or Light Assault). The Razor has one of the best, if not the best, reload speed of NC carbines. It also has an excellent muzzle velocity and a good enough ROF and damage to win in CQC fights. My other personal preference is the Gauss Compact S. The Compact S has a slower ROF than the Mercenary (default) and a little bit longer reload time(not really too noticeable). It does, however, have a faster ROF than the Razor, but a longer reload and slower Muzzle Velocity, All around it is decent, but it realy shines with attachments. I find Soft Point Ammunition, UB Shotgun(Close Range or Inside) or UB Grenade Launcher(Long Range or Choke Point) and a HS/NV scope to be useful. High Velocity Ammo is good, but the extra recoil without the Compensator seems a little strong. And SPA extends your max damage range, which is good for CQC or medium, and that is where most of the fights are. The UB Shotgun(I personally use it as a Pump-Action) and UB Grenade Launcher(Pump Action with Slugs; keep in mind it won't explode without having traveled 15 meters) are both OHK on DIRECT HITS so they are useful in their own special circumstances.
    For Secondary's I personally would choose the default weapon or Rebel, but I cant say much about the Revolvers :)-(Sorry) I would run a Flashlight AFTER you certed everything you need, because in those circumstances where you would need it, you'll be happy, and the Laser Sight is kinda useless, since the COF is already really small.
    2. Certifications
    This is by FAR the most important thing for an engineer. First I would recommend getting Nanite Repair Gun to level 4(90 certs) because it will help you repair quickly. After this grab some tank mines for 100 certs to give you a chance against vehicles. After those tank mines I would get sticky grenades for 100 certs, and I'll explain why. Tank mines don't detonate next to a stationary vehicle, so if you come across an enemy Sundy or a deployed Prowler, or any stationary vehicle run up to it place your tank mines and toss the sticky grenade, because even if you die the sticky grenade will detonate and,,, BOOM! no more Sundy, while racking up kills from anyone in the area. Another thing about sticky grenades is that they stick to your enemies and there is nothing more abusing than tossing one and watching the guy run back to his teammates. After sticky grenades, It's a tie between rank 2 of tank, Proximity Mines, and upgrading your repair tool. An extra tank mine is always useful for defense, and since most vehicles don't run tank mine it makes it easier for you if you just put it in the road the enemy will pass. Proximity Mines are great for defending Big Stations, or holding a point, but unlike Tank Mines they glow (or with the Claymore shoot up). One thing I would recommend getting is the AV MANA Turret since it increases your effective range you can handle vehicles. It costs 1000 certs and should be the first Major upgrade, or you could buy it for 700 SC. Then I would say upgrade your repair gun to max and both kinds of Mines to Max as well. In the suit slot I would get Flak armor over Utility, since there are a lot of explosions in the game and Nanoweave only saves you from 1 extra bullet, except for last rank. As an engineer most of the damage you take will be form Tank Shells or Rocket splash and this will reduce it.
    Conclusion
    The engineer has many roles on the field, tahat being said always SUPPORT. Don't be that engineer on the tem that runs past a vehicle in need of repairs, or a MAX, or someone needing Ammo. From personal experience you should stick to a MAX and have situational awareness, since most peole will try and take you out first so they have an easier time to take down the MAX. Be aware of this and Good Luck on the battlefield.
  2. Skooma Lord

Nice Guide. I play Engineer 90% of the time and I find it fun to use because our versatility compared to some of the other classes. I think the Advanced Shield Capacitor is also good for Engineers because you can get back to repairing or shooting back faster.

A suggestion though is to make the text bigger so more people can read it a little easier, and change the blue title color to something easier to see on the black background.
  3. Seython

Thanks, will do next time.
  4. FishMcCool

Not a fan of the AV turret personally. Find it boring as hell to use, as well as an unshielded deathtrap. Only ever use it when the platoon needs it and we deploy specially for that.

AI turret on the other hand is pretty good at killing infantry(!), offers unlimited ammo for suppressing lanes, protects you to a degree, and can be used as a deployable cover or decoy for people entering the room while you hide in the opposite corner. There's always a use for the AI turret, and it comes for free. <3
    • Up x 4
  5. Seython

I think AV is good in open areas and I find it fun, but that's my opinion. I like AI turret too, perfect for choke points. As an example, when the squad I was in and I were capping a point, I set up a AI turret and started racking up the kills... at least until I was flanked :-(.
  6. EngiNC

Strange guide: I wrote that Eng is a support role ,which is true, but than you suggest a weapon like the razor (whcih is for cqc, but imho there are better options) and when talking about the Gauss Compact S. you don't talk about the only real support attachment: under barrel smoke granade launcher.
    Also, talking about certification, there is no mention to the Ammo Box, that is a certs mine as much as the nano repair tool. Just take it to rank 3 or 4 to get the first radius effect bonus (4 meters for rank 3, 5 meters for rank 4) and go in some big battle.
    For the turret FishMcCool already said all bu, always remind that you can access ammo boxes, even if you have not equipped it in your loadout, by selecting your turret and than press B.
  7. Seython

The reason I did not mention Ammo Package is because you always have one in your turret. I do not see the need to upgrade it, since it won't carry over to the Turret Ammo Package. And increasing the radius isn't really necessary, because most people walk over an ammo pack when they see it. The timer also isn't really necessary, because since you are staying with your group you can just place another one, and if the timer is too long, you might accidentally resupply the enemy. And mines are really useful, because it can slow down a Tank Zerg, or destroy a Deployed Sundy. That in my opinion is also supporting, because you are weakening the enemy force by just placing mines in the road, while at the same time getting kills and delaying or stopping the enemy. I can't count the number of times Ive helped out by destroying the enemy's only Sundy or taking out a Tank that was hammering our base.
  8. Seython

I said that the weapons were opinions, just like everything else in the guide. The Razor is just my personal preference, but people can choose what they want, I just listed what I find helpful in hopes of helping someone else.
    • Up x 1
  9. Flamberge

Unless Im' horrible mistaken, this is not true. If you cert your ammo pack to lv 5, if you go to your turret and press B and right click, you will put down a lv. 5 ammo pack.
  10. Seython

I was unaware, where did you here this?
  11. Flamberge

Many replies from outfit mates. They said the ammo pack you get from a turret is certed the same as regular one.
  12. Flamberge

Double post, I know, but I have some good info.

The turret-constructed ammo pack has the same specs as the standard one. If you certed your ammo pack to level 5, then the pack you drop from your turret and hitting B, is a level 5 ammo pack.

Sources:
    I did a two of tests to prove this:

First Test: Flash Test- Drove a flash over my turret ammo pack, went back 7 meters, and unloaded a mag. When I reloaded, I was able to resupply from my ammo pack, which shows it must have been a lv 6 pack, or else I could not have resupplied from 7 meters.

Personal Waypoint test- Set a personal waypoint, put down a turret ammo pack, went back 7 meters, unloaded a mag, reloaded, and was able to resupply from 7 meters. Shows that turret pack must have been a lv. 6 pack.
  13. Seython

Its ok I double posted too, LOL.

Thanks for the info.
  14. Gearlock

No mention of the GD-7F which is completely boss even at medium range.

845 rounds per minute with a damage of 143 that can also use softpoint ammo and can even use a forward grip?

ITS WRONG. WRONG I SAY.

....youre not an NC engineer until you've used it....

[IMG]

(simple satire, do not take personally)
  15. Seython

Sorry, I have never used it, I have heard good things about though. I ust listed my opinions on the weapons and what fits my play style best, everybody is different.
  16. Gearlock

It's a boss gun that I highly reccomend.

Just pokin fun. No real harm intended.
  17. Seython

No harm done, and I will try to unlock it once I finish getting more stuff, just don't like the 3 sec reload...