Engineer binds needlessly complicated

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Crywalker, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Crywalker

How about putting our ammo box on our active ability with our turret being the secondary we change with fire mode button, not the default since we use it much less. And how about we also get to fire our under barrel any time with a custom key of our choice rather than cramming it in as another equip that messes up our binds.

I'd like to go from -

1 Main Gun
    2 Under barrel
    3 Pistol
    4 Repair Tool
    5 Tank Mines or whatever
    6 Turret
    B Swap Turret to Ammo Box and vice versa

to

1 Main Gun
    2 Pistol (LIKE IT IS FOR EVERY CLASS THANKS)
    3 Repair Tool
    4 Tank Mines

F Ammo Box
    B Swap Ammo Box to Turret
    Extra mouse button or whatever Grenade Launch (ideally just shoot it instead of equip then fire, or let us toggle that somewhere)

Or, even better just let us customize our binds for each class separately. I still want a single key/click for GL though, much easier to use it quickly that way + you don't have to swap back to your gun. The way it's set up makes engineer CQC often very clunky and I lose fights I should win due to having to fiddle with too many keys for what should be a simple process - of course the under barrel bugs don't help either.
    • Up x 10
  2. Cirevam

Yes, this needs to happen. When switching from my Compact S to my Sweeper or vice versa my muscle memory gets really confused. I press 5 to pull out a mine and end up dropping a turret or ammo pack unless I stop for a moment to check. This also doesn't help when trying to repair things and I pull out my pistol instead of my repair tool. No MAXes have TK'd me yet for doing that, but it's annoying.
    • Up x 1
  3. Tvayumat

Seems like the hard counter to Engineer is their own keybindings. Many of my CQC deaths are because I am switching rapidly between weapons and utilities, and when someone gets in my face the needlessly arbitrary number assignments cause a traffic jam on my keyboard.

Suddenly I'm trying to headshot a BR1 LA with my rank 6 repair tool.

When this starts to happen, I have found that I have a higher survivability if I simply charge them with my knife rather than try to work out which combination of keys will equip me with a loaded firearm this time.

This effect also manifests as me throwing prox mines at friendly MAXes from time to time.
    • Up x 1
  4. Boomschtick

lol I can't tell you how many times I've held down the trigger and sprayed into a guy in CQC only to realize that right before I died... I wasn't getting xp for repairing him at all. :(

I'd say just make any underslung attachments B when you have your primary weapon selected.

Removing the ammo pack from both the utility belt and turret, then binding it to F would be awesome.
    • Up x 1
  5. Dytch

Everyone start liking this guy's post. I was just thinking the same exact thing as this yesterday and was about to post when I found this. It would be an EXTREME help to all Engineers and a boon to all MAXs. Get some Dev attention on this.
  6. pdog109

lol yes. There should be a secondary fire option on the repair tool that lets you bash enemies in the head.
  7. GroundPounder

Add on Squad Beacon and it goes to 7. Pretty ridiculous when one has to use the mouse wheel to scroll through weps..
  8. Axler

please it really needs to be consistent across all classes. Using a different button for pistol on my heavy compared to my engie because I use the GL is stupid.
  9. Ipecac

The pistol on 3 thing happens for any class with a GL equipped (LA and medic have the same situation). Switching to GL with B seems much worse to me, you'd have to cycle through the other fire modes just to get to it and if you skip over it you'd have to go around again. Firing it with a secondary fire button would make it easy to do very quickly, which might make it too strong, and would remove access to the zoom function and the graduated crosshair.

The ACE tool on F seems like a decent idea, though I'm curious if the devs plan to put some active ability in that slot later.

Mostly whenever I see things like this, I'm curious about you folks who use mousewheel to select your weapons etc. Is there a reason for it? Do you use the number keys for something else? I don't mean this rudely, I just don't understand.
  10. XanderF

Yeah, it really doesn't help that the stock TR pistol, in a dark room with a firefight going on, looks a LOT like the repair gun at first glance. Stupidly similar. Personally, I'd prefer it look a lot more like the old glue gun from PS1. IMMEDIATELY visually obvious what you just pulled out!

Although what I end up shooting MAXes the most with is the stupid auto-switch thing. Walk up to a MAX, start repairing him, he calls for ammo so I throw an ammo pack down to keep repairing him...but, OH!, a second or two after dropping it, it has "deployed" and now my repair gun I'M STILL SHOOTING WITH turns into a rifle automatically! BANG, BANG into the MAX. :mad:
  11. cfnz

I'd gladly give up semi-auto and burst mode just to be able to use B for the grenade launcher and get the pistol consistently bound to 2 across load-outs and classes.
    • Up x 1
  12. Falanin

Or even use that whole "tertiary fire" keybind for the UGL or something. It sits around in the settings page doing a whole lot of not much, these days.
    • Up x 2
  13. Goodkat

I LOLed because this is so true.

I have multiple times dropped mines at my own sundy instead of repairing it! :eek:
  14. Boomschtick

I would gladly give up fire selection on the SF if I could B to my underslung.

I mousewheel because of my desk/keyboard setup, it's just easier to mousewheel while on the run for me. Plus I've gotten the muscle memory down to where I actually work around the ammo/USGL glitch and I still know where everything else should be from what I see "in my hands".

I have a question, how many people with a Select Fire actually switch to Burst or Single Shot?
  15. LazyBoot

Not too often on my engi, but on my medic I do it all the time... Though mostly between full-auto and single shot
  16. colt .45 killer

Thanks for the warning, guess I'll stay the F*** away from underbarrel attachments.
  17. Crywalker

I actually tried using the tertiary fire thinking that'd be it, before I realized it was on 2. Took me a little while to figure out how to fire the thing.
  18. moooosa

I really hate getting splattered by the ridiculously powerful explosives and underbarrels in this game, so I figured I'd better save up my certs and buy into them.
    After (wasting) 600 certs on a nearly-identical-yet-ever-so-slightly-worse gun for my engie with an underbarrel grenade launcher, I've realize that I can use no such item until they do something about the keybindings. Also I don't even have enough buttons/keys for more than 5 weapons since I bind 4 weapons to my mouse and the engie turret to alt.

But, come on, the F key isn't even used by engie.
  19. Xocolatl

Don't worry--those repair gun switch itself for your main weapon 50% of the time!
  20. Boomschtick

Usually only when healing Maxes, which usually results in a TK, a happy Medic, and an upset Max. lol