[BUG] enemy spotting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by day ofm one, May 14, 2015.

1. day ofm one

The spotting system in PlanetSide 2 is pretty reluctant to work.

If the enemy is far away or not visible 100%, you can barely spot him.

Examples of not working spotting:

- aircrafts 400 meters away
    - vehicles 50% hidden behind a rock
    - enemies more than 100 meters away (just in case anyone rendered on that distance at maximum settings...)

It once was possible to spot people when just their nose peaked out an they were remotely close to your crosshair.

Now you spot enemy vehiclesthat are 2000 meters awaythrough mountains, but players you have clear sight on refuse to get spotted.
  2. Eternaloptimist

When you say not spotting, do you mean you don't always get the spot bonus or a call out? Spotting doesn't do anything if someone else has already spotted the target, or so I am led to believe. Similarly, I think the spot bonus may only come up when you've got the required number for a ribbon. Happy to be corrected - and this did confuse me initially.
  3. day ofm one

Not spotting means, there is an unspotted enemy (no marked name), so you spot and nothing happens (no callout, no name).
  4. ShoeFlip

My issue with spotting is that an infantry who just ducked behind cover 1-2 seconds before I press Q, so they are completely hidden, and I can spot them just fine. But my god, if the front left wheel of that sunderer is behind a rock it is un-spottable no matter how many times I smash the Q button, and from different angles.
    • Up x 2
  5. Eyeklops

The stealth upgrade for vehicles will make them hard spot at range.
  6. day ofm one

It is not stealth vehicles, it is every vehicle in the game.
  7. MorganM

Spotting is jacked up in this game and they've never really addressed it.

Only works about 3/4 of the time for me. Not even talking about partially obscured or long distances. Galaxy, sunderer, or tank out in the open... maybe a few hundred meters out... my reticule right on it... Q... nothing... Q... nothing... Q QQQ Q QQQQ(#@&$*(#&E$(!@*@)#&* then you hear the little audio queue telling you it needs to cool down or whatever.

Happens aaalll the freak'n time on infantry and vehicles a like. Then sometimes it spots things that are clearly behind cover. and I'll hear the call out just no dorriot.. I don't freak'n get it...
  8. Nepau

And yet there is also the bug where you can seem to spot things behind objects. I cant count the times I have tried to spot say a Heavy and yet my guy spots and calls out the Medic 2 buildings over behind 5 walls.
  9. MonnyMoony

Q-spotting has been hit and miss for a long time and needs to be addressed.

It doesn't just affect partially hidden enemies or vehicles - I have had Sunderers right in the open and been unable to spot them.

I also thing q-spotting should mark friendly units too - but not call them out. Often if you see a vehicle in the distance and can't tell what faction it is - you don't know whether the spot hasn't worked because it's a friendly - or if it's just being temperamental.