[Suggestion] EMP Weapons to temporarily disrupt vehicles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ummon, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Ummon

Ok so the basic idea is that I would like to see a weapon that stops a vehicle from functioning for a few seconds. The guns stop working, it can't move or steer (though it might keep rolling), magriders stop hovering and it could also have additional effects like stopping a deployed sundy from acting as a spawn point for the duration. It should include the EMP effect on infantry (disrupting their HUD) because on its own that is pretty useless.
    The goal is a situational weapon that takes some skill and teamwork to use, since it can't do damage on it's own you need other people to do it for you. The effect should last just long enough to get a shot in on the stationary target or get behind it if you are already close but an escape should still be possible unless it is hit several times in a row.

What weapon types should have this effect?
    I'd say the EMP grenades obviously though they need to be available for other classes. I'd also like to see EMP Mines and Rocket Launchers for the HA. For Vehicles I would make it a secondary weapon with medium/low projectile speed and a low fire rate so chain hitting isn't possible with only one such gun. Maybe an EMP grenade Launcher for Flash/Sundy and an EMP Rocket (similar to Halberd) for the MBT's.

What situations would this be useful in?
    • It will give Infantry a bit of an edge over vehicles if they can get close enough to use these Weapons, allowing you to get close/behind a vehicle.
    • Any Vehicle needs to be more careful when on unstable terrain where getting hit might be fatal.
    • In Vehicle battles it would allow some easy shots on disrupted enemies but in a 1 vs 1 tank battle a damage dealing secondary should still be superior.
    • If used on a sundy as it comes into the base it might give you enough time to kill it before a bunch of enemies spawn.
    • A Sundy could use it to try and escape pursuing tanks.
    • A Flash hit by an EMP at full speed would probably wipe out in the most amazing ways.
    • A Flash using an EMP weapon and suicide charging tanks would probably be fun and pretty effective.
    • Against air it wouldn't be too reliable since it will be hard to hit but if it does it will be hilarious.
    How did you get this idea?
    Honestly, I was thinking about the Magrider, I play VS and have probably invested in the Magrider the most. And I see the constant cries for nerfs and was thinking what could be changed. Because I do see the huge advantage the mobility gives (and the strafing to a lesser degree). But any changes to the Magrider will either make it useless in its role as MBT or have no effect on the situations in which it is good. And taking it out and replacing it with a normal tank would take out one of the more fun and unique elements of the game. TBH, the best I could think of is to make other Tanks more stable when going over rough terrain so they can shoot more accurately while moving. But the biggest advantage I use (and abuse) in the magrider is the ability to go places other tanks can't go and shoot targets from angles they never expect. With EMP weapons taking these exceptional routes would be much more dangerous, a unique problem for the magrider. The dreaded strafing would still be there but a hit from an EMP will guarantee more hits with other weapons. This will of course be the same for any tank positioning itself sideways and doding shots by driving forwards and backwards.

Any disadvantges?
    Well it would make for a pretty effective defensive weapon against tanks storming a hill making certain bases *cough*Crown*cough* even harder to take. But I'm not sure how much harder, used in an offensive way it might make it much easier for organized people to destroy a deployed sundy which is often the key to taking those easily defended bases. Also I'm not sure how you would get XP for using these weapons since you will never get kills with them.