EMP Grenades? What kind of things should we be able to do?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meeka, Oct 9, 2014.

1. pnkdth

Never underestimate a PS2 player's need to keep their KDR high. :p
  2. UnDeaD_CyBorG

If the resupply chain is more than 30 meters away, I think you didn't understand the concept of grenade spam properly. :)
    I frankly liked when kills gave a few resources and they were overall more scarce.
    Meant you had to think about when to use them efficiently.
    Nowadays, my most used Heavy loadout is Grenade Belt + AV.
    • Up x 1
  3. Jaquecz

In big battles this would be so broken.
    Maybe if this type of grenade was a different type that is only avaliable to infiltrators, or a utility item thats only avaliable to infiltraitors, it MIGHT work out.
    Although i'd rather it not cause someones entire screen to go completely blue/buzzy, it should be transcluent instead rather.
  4. Archiadus

I'd love to see them disable abilities for 1 second, I'd be able to do some awesome teamwork actions such as throwing an EMP grenade at an ESF while someone else hits them in the face with a dumbfire causing them to die because the fire suppression is disabled :D.

They shouldn't make a Magrider spin around or deactivate an active Vanguard shield as that'd just be silly but you can do a lot of useful things if you could just disable their use of an ability for a second or so while your team attacks.
  5. repinSniper

Patch notes:

- EMP Grenades now forcibly eject all contents of hit vehicles.
  6. z1967

I have one question, what would happen if you hit an ESF with an EMP grenade? Because my hope is for disabled aircraft that plummets out of the sky like a rock so we can have even more cloak and lagger montages. Now with more vehicle destruction!
  7. Ixidron

Again, biased, if they don't deactivate abilities but prevent the use the prowler wins because it can remain in lockdown, and if hit outside lockdown the driver won't use lockdown because it's too risky.
    Unless it deactivates the bonus but not the lockdown, in that case it becomes a sitting duck so the prowler gets the short straw.

The magrider and the vanguard will remain mostly unaffected as they'll can still move and can use the ability afterwards.

If they deactivate abilities but don't prevent use the prowler wins because it will leave lockdown and just drive away, manwhile magriders remian unaffected because it's almost impossible to hit a magrider while using magboost, and vanguards get the short straw, because they used the ability, they lose the shield and get cooldown.

See? that's why you can't have them do different stuff depending on the tank.
  8. Yeahy

Maybe a EMP weapon on a valk or a gal, but not for the infiltrator class.
  9. Tycoh

Instead, invert the movement controls with random sensitivity per movement stroke. That'll wake the pilot up.
  10. Tycoh

Why not just have the EMP lock the turret temporarily?
  11. Archiadus

How often do you see a Prowler in lockdown right next to where the action is at? That's asking to die which is why you only see dead Prowlers do such things.

You make it sound like lockdown is some sort of useful ability for close ranged combat which it isn't so I have to ask why you think that an EMP grenade which is used where the action is would somehow favor Prowlers that have to stay at distance to be efficient.
  12. Ixidron

It doesn't have to be close to the action, and infiltrators can go everywhere, they are invisible, using an EMP against a prowler up there in the hill and preventing it from deactivating lockdown can be deadly, it doesn't need to be at close range.

I didn't even use the words close range or close to action at all.
  13. Ixidron

Magriders don't have turrets so they'll have an advantage.

It's impossible to find balance, only viable option is preventing tanks from firing.
  14. Archiadus

Those explosive darts / fury flashes can be deadly? :eek:
  15. Tycoh

Just disable mouse control temporarily on the vehicle itself then. The magrider needs its mouse to turn doesn't it? So it will be temporarily restricted to strafing while facing its last functional direction.
  16. Ixidron

Then the magrider will have a disadvantage because it can't turn, meanwhile I can perfectly drive my vanguard without using the mouse because I can pivot in place.

Try figthing against a friend, both without using the mouse, one with a magrider and the other with prowler/vanguard, you'll see how easy it's to outmaneuver a magrider that cannot turn.
  17. NXR1

After you said infil is the weakest class nothing you said even matters infil is not the weakest class(lowest shields doesnt mean he is by any means weak, its only 1 less shot) he has the best variety of weaponry from a full automatic scout rifle to a slow shooting hard hitting bolt action, the only effective ranged unit, cloaking device which is one of the most useful abilities EMP grenades which you can throw into a room full of enemies and just mow them down with an SMG and can hack vehicle terminals and turrets, infiltrator is one of the best classes with the most to do.
  18. NXR1

I would love to see a magrider spinning out from an EMP grenade
    • Up x 2
  19. NC_agent00kevin

EMPs should completely drain all ability energy. Currently it only does so on Infiltrator cloak.

It should drain:

Overshield
    Medic AOE Heal
    Jump Jets
    Destroy Ammo Packs

Those simple things and EMPs will be used more. As it stands, I main Infiltrator if not firmly planted in a Lightning and I use them all the time.
    • Up x 3
  20. Hatesphere

I could have sworn at one point EMP was effecting medic AOE bars. but I agree it should just drain all infantry ability energy, including max charge.