EM1: any way to make this hunk of junk decent?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by THUGGERNAUT, Sep 19, 2015.

1. THUGGERNAUT

At almost three years after launch, the EM1 still sucks monster balls. This weapon has garbage killing power, and head-to-head at close range you will die every time to an Orion or even a CARV (no brainer based on rate of fire alone). Even at medium range, the crap accuracy will screw you over on even the simplest kills. It only has two redeeming features:

PROS:
    (1) Decent magazine size.
    (2) Good reload speed.
    CONS:
    (1) Everything else.

Normally, I would throw this thing into the trash heap and write off any certs spent on it, but it's my last LMG auraxium necessary to unlock the Godsaw. It's so bad that I'm tempted to forget it, buy the NS15M2, and use that for the final auraxium, but I only have about 300 more kills to go with this limp EM1 noodle.

So: I've experimented with different attachments, with SPA/without, forward grip, extended mags, etc., but nothing seems to improve it. Anyone had any success with this thing in any configuration? Adv. laser sight, hipfire, anything?
    • Up x 1
  2. EscrotoVil

The weapon is not a destructor of worlds ofc, but I considere the following as the best way to use it:

advanced laser sight, soft point ammo, x3.4 or x4.0 scope(which one? your choice)

Reasons of my point?

I see EM1 as a close combat LMG, so you have to set it for that. You need movility(shoot from the hip), speed(EM1 is the fastest LMG of the NC at fire rate and muzzle velocity), as much dmg as possible(soft point ammo) and worry as less as possible of the accuracy(adv laser sight).

Soft point ammo gives you 5m more of full fmg of the weapon, then the dmg decrease faster than normal ammo, but it maintains stronger than normal ammo until 35 meters(in VR training zone you can test). Further than 35 meteres is your "nope" zone, so when this happens you have two options, get closer or get even further so at 65m the normal ammo and the soft point ammo becomes equal again.

OFC getting closer is better for you, in fact you confort distance is from face to 25m aprox firing form the hip. But if you for situation reasons have to get further, you have the long rang scope(x3.4/x4.0). For being an NC lmg it don't have much vertical recoil so aiming from the far distance without grip is not that bad with 2-3 seconds bursts, though it has a nasty horizontal recoil.

Barrel attachments ***** up quite bad the set up, so... better not.

Those were my tips, i hope that helpful ones. And good luck climbing the peak of the godsaw
    • Up x 1
  3. Liewec123

i don't get the EM1 hate, it has a slightly slower TTK than the other LMGs
    but it has about the most manageable recoil of any weapon you'll find!

(not my vid, but shows how to use it, since thats what you were asking)
    • Up x 1
  4. THUGGERNAUT

Thanks for the tips and the video, I will try out more hipfire with the laser sight and see if that helps make this less painful.
  5. _itg

Gotta be honest, that other guy gave you bad advice. The EM1 is NOT A CQC weapon. I believe it used to be the "good hipfire" LMG, which is why it as ALS access, but that was nerfed. Now the hipfire is literally as bad as it gets, and the ALS doesn't do nearly enough to compensate for that. If he thinks the EM1's hipfire is good out to 25m, his standards of accuracy are remarkably low. 5m is more like it.

Personally, I'd say your best bet is to go with extended mags + SPA and use the EM1 as a suppression weapon. With 200 bullets and a short reload, you can put an awful lot of lead down range, and the subpar TTK doesn't matter much since you're not dueling people 1v1.
    • Up x 3
  6. KnightCole

EM1: The ambush from behind gun. You shoot the target looong before he shoots you. Its more an Infiltrator style LMG, where if the target shoots first, you die. If you shoot the target with about 20 rounds before he fires 1, you might win with 20 health left. If you put 20 rounds in the targets head before he shoots 1 round, you win with 100 health left.

All in all, its a pretty bad gun. Decent on defense at mid range, where the targets are moving and not shooting. Its accurate, it handles well, but as a general purpose gun? Its pretty bad. Its got just bad enough of everything to make it a bad.

Not quite enough RoF
    Not quite enough damage
    Not quite enough hipfire accuracy for it to do that.

Its pretty much a flankers gun, if you can find a place to be where the targets are not firing at you.....if your the center of attention, you will lose probably 8/10 times.

I believe I ran mine with a x1 optic, Exmags and a Grip for pin point fire so I could use it at longer ranges and just lay on the trigger. I also sometimes threw the laser on it for when I was in really damn close and could just spray and pray.
    • Up x 3
  7. THUGGERNAUT

Between the different techniques that you guys have proposed, it seems like suppression fits the EM1 a bit better than hipfire. The forward grip seems to help a bit more with those ~10-15 round bursts at mid-range.

Soft-point ammo is nice, but the velocity hit really does force you to make a noticeable lead on moving targets at mid-range. Still, it seems better with soft-point than without, because sans soft-point this thing has the killing power of a bag of marshmallows.

Extended mags seem better for the classic bio-lab fights and whatever "CQC" potential this thing can muster, but I find myself gravitating to the forward grip for slightly better burst control at mid-range.

Thanks for the tips; you guys have made my quest for the final auraxium easier. Only about 150 more kills to go before I can blessedly return to EM6.
  8. GarryStutter

I understand the EM1 is going to be part of a re-balancing. So if you can leave it lay for another weapon or class. That might be a consideration. I'm considering picking up the em-6 atm too, it's on my for sure list but I don't have my suit options opened much, choices...
    You said earlier you are considering picking up the NS-15, and tbh, you may very well want it/get it anyway since it is a very different gun and just good. The godsaw may be shiny, but it's still a gauss-saw with barely any sparkle.
  9. Ianneman

As a TR player who did the TR LMG directive, who tried it out for the first time, I can say it's more than a decent weapon. It's so stable, great for headshots. It almost feels like the LMG version of the SOAS.
  10. JojoTheSlayer

The EM1 has actually been "micro" buffed a bit via its medium damage drop of range being extended a bit.
    I have used the EM1 now for a while, just Auraxiumed it actually, and its basically the NC LMG version of TR like LMGs.
    You can do well with it, but I do not really recommend thermal sights during the day. Its actually easier to control with the 2x sights that contrast well (I use the yellow circles).

So, currently, if a player is a head streamer rather than a "body gunner" or adapt in handling hard recoil.
    They really should check out the EM1 for a few days and see how they like it. Obviously you need it fully upgraded with forward grip, soft point ammo and a flash suppressor (makes it allot easier tracking the target).

Depending on play style and skill level.
    I would argue some would do better with the EM6 or SAW, but others in turn would actually do better with the current EM1.
  11. Littleman

The EM1 is the "CQC" version of the T16 Rhino. TR players will feel right at home. NC players, not so much. VS players only really have the VX-29 Polaris I believe, but that has far superior hip fire capability to the EM1, making it an actual decent CQC LMG.

However, once your shield is activated, ADADAD hipfire is only too dauntingly fast for anyone to track... not.

Also, that video once again show cases TR as being bads. ...Again. It's why I left for the VS.
    • Up x 1
  12. Jogido

head shots :)

but ya, I liked it better before the LMG hipfire nerf, but it's not a bad lmg. wouldn't mind a bit of a buff tho