drifter jets help you climb up crazy hills

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by illgot, Jan 9, 2013.

1. illgot

I thought drifter jets were just a glide function when you jump off a hill, but they also help you climb up those hills.

Because of this I am starting to love Drifter more than jump jets (which I only use to club up buildings at night).
  2. Achmed20

also works on flat walls (you have to look up while doing it) but that is reaaalllyyyyyy slow .
  3. Iridar51

You don't need drifters to do that =/ You can "cling" to flat walls with Jump Jets and wait for them to recharge, then go higher again. Repeat until you've reached the the top.
  4. Kronic

Now that I didn't know. Ty
  5. Stigler

Yeah, having Drifters as a secondary option is definitely useful. But for me the regular Jump Jets are the primary ones I use. Drifters are definitely worth certing up in addition to the Jump Jets. And did you see the Drifter video, they pull off some cool stunts with drifters.
  6. Wolfwood82

Gotta love bug exploitation huh?

As Iridar said, you can "cling" to walls and cliffs by holding W, but this is a bug. This bug is also what allows drifters to "climb" facings which are normally impossible to climb by sticking and allowing forward momentum to carry you up. JJs do the same thing but it's really less efficient because, well, JJs are bugged so that when your feet touch the ground while activating them, you lose upward speed and just crawl up the facing exactly like DJs. Best thing to do is take the elevator. Boost strait up and tap forward a couple of times so that you are clearing the rock facing rather then crawling up it.
  7. Achmed20

I'd like to see the official post/thread/link where a dev stated that climbing cliffs with drifters is considered a bug/exploiting.
    link plx?
  8. Wolfwood82

I'd like to see this made into common practice for bugs to begin with. But it's not, for any game, ever made... ever... Save for the few exploits that are game breaking (decimator swapping from PS1 for example).

It's obviously a bug because both DJs and JJs behave the same way when pressed up to cliffs. Because anyone with DJs or JJs who crash into a cliff can often "cling" to it by holding the W key and facing the cliff. And because DJs were never described as something that can get you "up" anywhere. And finally, the real kicker that screams bug, you fall if you let up on the W key and the spacebar. If it was intended then your character would cling to the wall normally like any intelligent rock climber would.

It's pretty simple really, whether the developers decide to ignore it or fix it or adjust it, it's quite obviously a bug element as it is quite obviously an unintended product of the programming. They might ignore it since it doesn't impact game play much, or they might have to fix it because it is related to JJs slowing down and failing to scale cliffs properly when you just smash the W key and spacebar while holding sprint and hoping that by some miracle you actually make it up the cliff face while dragging your feet the entire way.

Personally, I'm thinking they will ignore it. Bigger fish to fry and all. I would anyway, or rather I would adjust it so that it was a smoother action and make it part of the LA's general description.
  9. Lakora

LA Tool Slot

Grappling hook/Anchor hook: Lets you climb/hang from a surface until it cracks and you drop... Shot from a special gun, sticks to a surface for 10s during that time only the LA can climb/hang from it afterwards it will disappear n the person hanging will drop.
  10. Wolfwood82

Too complicated and would require a lot of coding, not to mention a whole new gun to be designed and drawn.

The idea is to tweak the bug that's already there in order to turn an imperfection into an asset in order to save time and money. Not create a whole new asset.
  11. Lakora

I know that but still one's allowed to dream about that empty tool slot of ours. :p
  12. ritual

I don't know anything about programming, but it seems like this would be really simple to implement... when you fire at a wall it creates an anchor point with a "rope" that's as long as the distance between the origin of the projectile and the destination with a max range of 10meters or something. The rope is essentially just a leash that limits how far you can go in any direction. Wouldn't be too complicated.

They could just re-use the same gun the Engies and Medics get for healing, and change the color of the nanite stream. You can stay latched on until it overheats. Would allow for more mobility, and also a temporary place to hang while your jets regen. You couldn't have a weapon out with it so it wouldn't be OP or anything.
  13. Ghoest

Where drifters shine is up sloped but steep(not nearly vertical) hills. And this doesnt seem to be n exploit at all.

Yes you can go up the nearly vertical hills but its really really unfun.
  14. Xocolatl

Nifty. I've been looking into getting the drifter for a good ol' fashion SC2 Reaper play style. Looks like it's about time I go and do it then.
  15. Wolfwood82

All of which would result in very complicated programming. There's no precedence for something like this in the game right now, while there is something in the game for simply latching on with special gloves once you use jump jets to get up there or drifters to get to there.

Simply setting the rules so that you can cling to a surface with the F key or something would be far easier to implement. You would still have to get to the location yourself (but your LA, why the frack would you need a grappling hook?).
    It's an exploit Ghoest, plain and simple. The reason I call bug on this is because you get the exact same effect with JJs if the slope is steep enough and your forward momentum keeps you pressed to the ground. You move up the slope as if you were walking up it but your fuel is burning as if you were actually jumping.

It will probably just be ignored though. It's not something that impacts the game too much and lends a small boost to DJ usefulness.
    Reapers use JJs. They went up cliff faces as easily as down them.
    • Up x 1
  16. ritual

You don't NEED one, but there's definitely uses for them in planetside... you don't really need them to climb, but using them as a sort of rope swing would give you a lot more mobility through the air without burning jet fuel.

I'd rather just have the drifters have an "F" ability that works like a rocket jump straight up, and the regular JJ's have an "F" ability that would let them rocket jump straight forward.
  17. Ghoest

Unless you have a dev quote your opinion is no better than mine.
    To be honest its rather crucial to the usefulness of drifters.
  18. benedict

scaling walls is not a LA only ability, you might want to start checking cliff faces for infiltrators (me).I can scale down a vertical cliff stop halfway, most ppl assume im a tank on the other side of the mountain.
  19. LameFox

W? I usually find I can stop in the midst of a wall by crouching, but then moving again makes me slip off or something. I use it to get down hills without doing that weird thing where you get launched out into the open and fall to your death (unless LA obviously).
  20. ArcMinuteLight

If they removed clinging to walls I would not be able to survive 100 meter cliff drops as Infiltrator while battling a drop pod LA.