Does this game compensate for player skill?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gunnner10, Jan 19, 2015.

1. gunnner10

Or lack of skill. Sometimes when my K/D gets too low, it feels like kills suddenly get easier. Or when my K/D is good, deaths become more frequent in 1 vs 1 duels.
  2. Xasapis

The only compensation for skill that I know of is the CoF. The CoF was artificially introduced in games such as these, so as the top pro players don't completely dominate everyone else, but there is an artificial cap they can reach that they can't go any further. In this case, the cap revolves around their accuracy.

What probably happens in your case, is that you pick easier fights, perhaps instinctively (seeing that you're BR100 and thus you most likely know your way around the game). So perhaps after a frustrating deathstreak, you choose to go to a defensive, more balanced fight, where you are not as hard pressed. On the opposite side, success makes you more reckless.

That and the winds of hit detection choose to randomly favor you ... or not.
    • Up x 3
  3. Crashsplash

The only compensation is low ttk together with base design which makes killing easier.
  4. Reclaimer77

It does compensate for skill. There are vehicles like tanks and Liberators that all the low skilled players can use.
    • Up x 3
  5. Xasapis

Some MBTs are easier than others, but Liberators are among the hardest vehicles to use in the game in any effect. Which is why from the 30.000+ people who log everyday in the game, only 300 or so use Liberators on average.
  6. Leftconsin

I don't notice anything like what you are describing. I'm looking at my extended killboard and the only time I was struggling in the last 4 days was when I was playing against a HIVE squad with no easy targets to kill.

I think you are just at different fights fighting against people of different skill. You transition over to a fight where the opposition is poor and you aren't actually playing better and the game isn't helping you, its that you happen to be in a fight with a different skill level of opposition.
  7. Reclaimer77

Your reasoning is incomplete.

The Liberator is a devastating weapon platform. The reason "only" 300 or so get pulled, is because they require teamwork and ESF's don't.

This is why 9 out of every 10 MBT's I destroy only have one player in them. Yet they constantly cry here and on Reddit for buffs to a platform that is supposed to be balanced around having a gunner.
  8. CapperDeluxe

Seeing as its a PvP game with no matchmaking involved, what you are seeing is entirely the result of the fights you choose to engage in and the players on both teams that also chose to be there. Additionally, its how you fight in that battle. If you are constantly pushing the front line chances are your K/D will drop due to attrition. If you fight on the outskirts as a sniper or light assault perhaps it goes up.
  9. Corporate Thug

Vehicles are able to be spammed at will, almost infinite shot gun selection and tons of AOE weapons. I say it goes out of it's way to compensate for skill.
  10. Hatesphere

People are missing the point of the post. I think op is asking if this game has an active mechanism for skill equalization, not passive like COF/bloom. And no it does not preform any active equalization based on your in game performance.
  11. z1967

Everyone has one of those days where you kill several people in a row and then get face rolled by an OO platoon or something along those lines. It also depends on the fight, defensive fights may let you live longer but solid enemy pushes will get you killed repeatedly. Offensive play nets more kills but you also die more frequently.

Everyone has bad days/hours/sessions, the key is to learn how to get out of said bad sessions and recover your fun. Sometimes it is necessary to go play something else while the game experiences technical issues (damn the zombies that took over the SOE servers :().
  12. Thrones

Lag compensation is only thing I know of. Once killed a guy, ran to the next buidling and his bullets caught up with me.