Do you use SABR for long range?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Pikachu, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Pikachu

I have been trying this gun expecting it to be a lng range weapon. Putting a fat scope on it and expecting tto be able to out range regular shooters. I dont have much success. At serious range it kicks to much and at proper range regular guns seem able to shoot me just as good. Barely do I feel that this rifle is meaningful. How am I suppossed to use it? Should recoil be reduced?
  2. Takoita

I use 2x scope on it, if that's what you are asking. And the usually suggested fwd. grip + comp combo (IMHO) is more effective than usual, in case you weren't using it already. Also, I've seen a youtube video suggesting the single-shot firemode on this gun; I will be trying it out today if I find an opportunity to do so.

I'm not a particularly good player though, either with just SABR-13 or just in general. :D
  3. QuantumSerpent

I've only tested it in VR (need to grind more certs to get it), but it seems that the 2-round burst mode is double-headshot capable to about 40m and bodyshot-headshot to about 50-60m. Past there, it's easy to get hits with semi-auto, given that the bullet velocity is pretty close to a BASR.
    (I was using Foregrip, Compensator and HVA)

So:
    -At close range, spam-clicking is more or less effective at killing with acceptable speed (vs Battle Rifle).
    -At medium range, it gets 2-burst kills, which is impressive (better than a Battle Rifle, quicker and more accurate than a standard Assault Rifle)
    -At long range, it's a sniper rifle with 4-headshot/7-bodyshot kills, which is better than any Assault Rifle and easier to do with the high velocity.
  4. Dualice

The adv. grip is a necessity if you're going for ranged targets, compensator I wouldn't say is mandatory but it certainly helps keep your grouping tighter.

I've been using it for a while in-game and this is pretty spot-on. I haven't tried the single-shot mode at long ranges yet - not sure the per-shot damage is high enough to warrant using it in that style, but I could be wrong.

It does take practice to use the SABR-13 well. I'm not a pro by any means but I've improved a lot.
  5. Corvus Corax

At longer ranges you won't be able to win a lot of battles but you can suppress the enemy, force them back into cover. Helps with heavies with lockons and infiltrators who aren't running BH 2/3 to reduce flinch.
  6. LeFitz

I've played with it quite a bit. 3.4x dot, grip, compensator and HVA. Then I recently removed the HVA and that was a revelation. It makes you land those 2 hits at longer range more consistently. Given the stock ammo velocity, HVA are by no mean necessary and you can enjoy better accuracy.

Since then I have applied the same philosophy on weapons such as the TMG-50 for HA and same, easier to handle gives you more DPS in the end I feel than the HVA.

In short, while I recommend HVA obviously on semi-auto such as battle or scout rifles, I think you should consider the base ammo velocity for the SABR or automatic weapons. My experience is anything above 550m/s is fine already. Depends how comfortable you are with leading targets and also where do you want your hits to count. Personally I don't mind missing a guy 100m away while I mind landing those 2 headshots with the SABR at 40m as mentioned by Quantum.
    • Up x 1
  7. Wargrade

I prefer the AMR-Something, the battle rifles. With a 3.4/4x scope.
  8. Leivve

SABR more deserving of the title BR then the AMR.
    • Up x 4
  9. TheSDM

I Prefer the SABR in both long and CQ combat, of course without scope. For some reason I miss alot with scope, easier with standart iron sights (except some LMGs). One of the few weapons I geniunely enjoy, besides dual chaingun.
  10. RHYS4190

one thing that kills this weapon is that the head shot multiplier is toned down which is pretty huge, takes 3 bullets to the head to kill some one.

so I would steer clear of this weapon your better off with a T1 or even the NS-11, one thing that kills this gun is the consistency of the group when using at it max fire rate couple this with the very low reword for head shots and you got a bad gun,

NS-11A shoots an extra 50 bullets more then this and it very accurate and is totally controllable on full auto. you will definitely out DPS a saber.

Though a lot of people just use the T1 because you get the extra 100 rate of fire and it good enough for every thing your doing.
  11. Mustarde

I hated the SABR-13 initially... too low DPS for being up front against heavies, and not as accurate as the TORQ-9 at mid range (with burst fire). It was my least favorite AR on the road to purpling them all (I was enjoying the T1B more) until the scope revamp. Now, with a 2x scope, I feel that this weapon is able to more accurately hit the head now. If you can hit heads, targets drop real fast. I'm at the point now where I feel comfortable taking it into buildings and 1v1ing heavies. But the learning curve combined with the scope revamp took nearly 500 kills for me to get comfortable with it. YMMV
  12. Cz4rMike

I dunno mate, when you hit heads with the burst, it drops people like flies :D... maybe not best DPS but I felt like it was mega powerful in my hands :).
  13. Gazatron

Honestly the sabr confuses me as a TR weapon.

167dmg
    600rpm
    2-shot burst fire mode. (Or 1-shot)

I personally think it could do with being buffed to a 652rpm(?) model because the standard NC medic gun, Gauss Rifle, is 167 damage, 600rpm, auto fire mode.

As we know NC has little horizontal recoil but "high" vertical recoil. However this is manageable.

So yea comparing these two guns and faction traits, the sabr just confuses me as a gun for TR.
  14. InsaneLinguist

SABR is my to-go gun for longer range. My usual set-up is: adv. grip, compensator, and 3.4 DMO scope (I like that scope for some reason). Standard ammo, I find that HVA doesn't help out that much, as its stock muzzle velocity is already great (620 m/s iirc), and HVA actually hurts your ability to reliably hit both shots at range when going for headshots. I love this rifle, wouldn't change it for anything else except perhaps the Reaper.
  15. bubbacon

Great advise. I think the "only" TR weapon I use HVA on is the AMR Battle Rifle. Haven't tried the Scout Rifle and I might consider it with the TMC occasionally. Other than those, it's generally standard or SPA.
  16. Cz4rMike

I noticed the same stuff and just thought for myself that I don't know any weapon that would benefit from using HVA :D. Added recoil is not worth it...
  17. vanu123

Easily the best burstfire gun in the game, no contest.
    • Up x 1
  18. Leivve

*cough*TX1*cough*
  19. vanu123

That is not a pistol*
    • Up x 1
  20. Leivve

It's practically a pocket shotgun.