[Vehicle] Do you think it would be better if at least MBT's fired faster rounds?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheMish, Sep 18, 2014.

1. TheMish

I don't see how that'd do much if the Lightnings got the same buff. The lightning is still a small target, and honestly. It seems more like an AI or AA vehicle to me. Not so much AT, anymore at least.
  2. Aaren

Really? """This is planetside 2""" So Planetside can't possibly mimic, appropriate or learn from another game that offers a more seamless or nuanced tanking experience than it currently does? No - of course. There is no room for criticism of Planetside.

Look I understand if you personally don't like my suggestion - but please just say so - instead of claiming PS2 is somehow beyond comparison - and "overpowered" is anything but subjective.

I fail to see how supersonic bombing runs could be a bad thing <3
  3. Jeslis

This kinda makes me think of how super futureistic combat would work
    My fav book on this kinda thing is the BOLO's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(tank)) and the Hyper Heurisitic mode
    And/or *The tick*, a drug, used by the Cadre in the book 'In Fury Born' (A combination of.. 3-4? books), by David Weber.

The point:
    The computer speed//The Tick drug don't *actually* speed up time, but they speed up *thought*.

Example: Imagine if planetside 2 was actually at 10x it's current speeds//scalings.. but we're experiencing it slowed down due to our thought speeds.

- Tank shells traveled at 2750 m/s
    - A magriders top speed isn't 50 kpm, its 500 kpm.
    - Infantry aren't running at 4 k/m, they're running at 40 k/m
    - You actually have 5,000 health and shields.
    - But, Guns are actually doing 1670 dmg, instead of 167.
    - 100meters ingame is actually 1000m (1 km)

BUT, when we play the game, our *thoughts* are going so much faster, that everything happens so much slower.

Interesting concepts no?
  4. ColonelChingles

Haha, that actually was much more complicated than the explanation I made up in my head.

That Auraxis has much more air resistance than Earth, and hence bullets, shells, and air vehicles travel much more slowly.

Still neither explanation takes into account why tank shells are so much slower than bullets though. :confused:
    • Up x 1
  5. Einharjar

Undoubtedly, it seems you've already been berated by the duality of "Game play over Realism" and "Thats op ****e!" idealists.

However, I would like to say that you'd need to make sure the engine can handle it.
    If tank shells across the board were increased, you'd need to make sure that larger 96+ vs 96+ battles don't degrade more than they already do.

Bullets in a game engine are "objects" too, and they have a period scan that looks for collision (their own hit box, basically). Every game cycle refreshes the position of the projectile, following the trajectory mathematically created within the engine using the basics.. velocity, angle and parabola.

Speeding up projectile has a two pronged effect in mass combat, both I've personally experienced when I was experimenting with engines before:

1 - If the engine fails to handle too many bullets at once, you'll have Hit Reg issues beyond belief as bullets pass through hit boxes and continue onward. Imainge the whining worse than it is now when it comes to the Hit Reg issues. I for one think that with the Server tick rate as it is, the Bullet Velocities as they are already tax the CQC ranges and is sometimes (only sometimes) why you'll see 15% of your shots never register yet graphically, they "strike" the model. The engine needs to have cycles fast enough to update object states SOON enough to ensure this doesn't happen. PS2s low cyclic rate from the Servers doesn't help.

2 - In larger battles, it is ironic? but faster bullets can sometimes RELIEVE stress on the engine. If the Engine cycles object states fast enough, the faster bullets will of course have shorter life times and be in active simulation for less time. Shorter life spans means that you actually have FEWER bullets in the air at any given time in larger battles than before, meaning the engine is not having to keep track of too many objects at once.
    I remember running into this where I kept having a memory leak once. In one test, a large fight involving about 150 "units" broke the game. The Collision detection would literally fail and cease to operate if too many IDs (objects) were being tracked, so suddenly bullets were everywhere and never hitting anything and no one was dying, LOL.
    To compensate it, I increased the velocities across the board to keep the object counts low and balanced it with the engines cyclic rate (which the engine I did this in had an update frame that was horridly slow, around 0.010) to ensure they were not moving TOO fast as to have a high pass-through rate (the point where the bullet's next position update would pass through a target and never register a hit).

Is we get this down, then we need to consider the ranges in which we fight.
    IMO, higher velocities would be nice if it effected EVERYTHING, ALL weapons. As I'm tired of every fight being a CQC fight.

Though I'm even more annoyed with the metrics the game uses that makes damage fall off at range. That makes the ranged combat worse than the low velocities do.

Aside from that, you'll continue hearing it over and over again about how realism only degrades game play or that you're just asking for the game to be easier.
    Just remember, trying to add more details makes the game more complex and complexity is generally the bane of the casual gamer; it's only a boon to the hobbyist gamer. And trust me, the casuals vastly out number the hobbyists.
    Got to think about both parties here.
    • Up x 1
  6. Jawarisin

It's already something that happens in your daily life if you play sports, things can slow down at critical moments. It's also an effect of adrenaline.
  7. Ronin Oni

Vanguard HEAT does, and a Mag will put it to burning...

You make a point about HEAT being next to worthless though. The small splash doesn't make up for 1 more STK.

At least HE can still kill with splash.
  8. Klypto

It's just a flat out no for simple reasons:

Continent is too small.
    Therefore aircraft do not fly that fast.
    So Tank shells do not act as super accurate AA sniper cannons.
  9. ColonelChingles

Aircraft fly fast enough that as long as they're not doing something silly like hovering, then they can probably evade cannon fire.

IRL AH-64 Apaches have a top speed of 290 KPH and a cruise speed around 260 KPH. Other attack helicopters have similar speeds. Yet attack helicopters are rarely shot down by IRL tank cannons (though tanks do train for this) firing shells at IRL speeds. This is because real pilots know that hovering in one spot for a prolonged period of time is just asking to be swatted.

Now PS2 ESFs can reach top speeds of over 360 KPH using afterburners and thrusters, which is actually faster than most attack helicopters. The problem with PS2 ESFs isn't their slowness... it's that ESF pilots like to come in close and hover in one spot to farm infantry and vehicles. That's when they get pelted with tank ordnance, as they should.

If ESF pilots could learn how to properly engage ground targets instead of presenting themselves as prime targets, then it would not be an issue at all.
  10. RedGeneral

ESF's cockpits should be vulnerable to small arms fire if they get too close to infantry. I mean I should be able to riddle the pilot with bullets if he is going to be 50 meters away.