Do you fear Vehicles/Aircraft anymore from an Infantry perspective?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Sep 21, 2015.

1. ConradHorse

I don't fear them. I hunt them for bacon.
  2. INSANEcyborg

I don't fear them, but I do consider them high-threat. If I think I can take them, I switch to AV and focus on them until they're dead. Otherwise I'll just take cover and avoid them.
  3. Jake the Dog

The fact that I have infantry running to c4 my glowing f'n auraxium prowler across 100m of open desert says that they don't.
    They still died though. I mean seriously are you ret******?!?
    • Up x 2
  4. Demigan

That doesn't happen that often, and AV mana is relatively easy to pick off there. I would say the only real problem is Raven MAX's, I don't have a lot of experience being shot by them but they have too strong a combination of accuracy, fire rate and fire power against infantry, MAX's and vehicles alike to stay in their current state.
    Most fighting I see there is vehicular combat, supported by infantry once the Sunderers are down. But the Sunderers are mostly out in the open and need constant protection from hostile vehicles and infantry.

"riskfree"? So any infantry that gets killed doing whatever is riskfree solely because he doesn't cost anything? He does cost something: player investment and time.
    The easy accuracy AV options need to do less damage, the high skill long-range AV weapons need to do great damage. This is a great gameplay balance that the developers didn't completely adhere to.

I know it's a terrible thing to see, but it is a good balancing feature. If HE weapons were as powerful as grenades they would be OP as hell.
    However I would say we could improve on the current HE weapons. Either by replacing them or by adding more functionality. How about adding a distance meter that shows the shell's nearest distance to infantry and add the option for the player to detonate the shell himself? This would actually mean that slower shells is better as you have an easier time timing your detonation.
    Maybe even add a bonus. If you detonate the shell yourself it gets a larger AOE with a larger kill-radius. This would be perfect for taking out infantry on heightened platforms such as resupply pads on towers.
    And add some powerful HMG's and stuff to tanks that want to go full AI so they can actually mow down infantry with something else than AOE!

I only recall that the vehicular fights around Indar excavation got more intense after Death Trap was finally changed to Quartz Ridge by removing the option for vehicles to sit on the hills and crush any infantry movement. The whole base was completely indefensible, and any tank fighting around Indar Excavation stopped if it went badly for the team at Quartz Ridge for just a single moment. With only one badly placed vehicle spawner it meant that you couldn't hold back the enemy advance long enough for your team to get enough tanks back up before they surrounded you can crushed any opposition.

Really infantry should have AV weapons that extend beyond the 100-150m range, the very few options they do have just shouldn't be as powerful.
  5. LodeTria

Which would that be? Only the Lancer and AV mana turrets are long range, with ravens just on the cusp of long range. Everything else is medium range to short range.
  6. Demigan

All the Dumbfire weapons for instance can be used at long range, but require a lot of skill to lead the target and adjust for bullet drop. Falcons take a lot of skill to use at long ranges and comets at least require a lot of leading.
  7. AxiomInsanity87

No lol.

The only person one should fear is oneself for making mistakes.

Vehicles are like noise in the background most of the time. Esf's may as well not exist beyond farming fools and 1v1ing eachother.
  8. CorporationUSA

I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm invincible against vehicles. Infantry has loads of AV options, but if I get caught out in the open against a tank/harasser/lib/ESF, I expect to die if the driver is at all competent.

Infantry has strength in numbers. A single heavy with a launcher, an LA with C4, or an engie with a turret isn't going to win a stand off against a competent vehicle operator, save for maybe a flash. That said, I'm usually not going to put myself in a situation where I'm helpless against a vehicle.
  9. Jake the Dog

So many people do though, and so many people think they're safe 200m out shooting a RL at me. If I can see you, I'll probably hit you the 1st shot and if you're lucky 2nd. God help you if you sit on your engineer turret shooting at me XD. Ran into that one yesterday alot.
  10. MikeyGeeMan

Only if they are good and used correctly. B

Like a tank or plane. No.

But a few tanks and planes yes. Just as it should be.

Move along there's nothing to see here.
  11. Alexkruchev

95% of tank mine kills are located directly in front of a bases' vehicle spawn, so you have no way to evade them as you do not have control of your vehicle. Very frequently, the terminal cannot see the mines from where it is located, and also, in many cases, the mines don't render properly at that distance. Furthermore, the mines are often set 2-3 bases back from the fight, so there's no reason to expect them- they are cheap kills and mines never despawn. They're a cheap kill that robs you of a vehicle with veritually nothing you can do about it half the time. I think vehicles should be immune to damage for the first few seconds they spawn, until the driver gets access to full control.
  12. Alexkruchev

I do not fear MBTs as infantry much at all. 90% of the time he will not one shot me. I will at least do most of his HP in damage with a rocket, or if I flank him, C4 can one-bang him with no warning at all. C4 gets most of it's kills this way. Tanks have no really effective AI weaponry without losing all their ability to deal with other vehicle threats, and nobody will do that.

I do fear ESFs and Liberators, but, mostly Liberators are only trying to kill ground vehicles, and rarely care about infis. ESFs? They're only counterable with large investments on flak bursters and lightnings. If there are any competent enemy armor around, those are both largely negated. ESFs will kill you 95% of the time before you can kill them as an infantry, and they do not even needprecisionto do it. I wish the spammable missile pods were removed, so they'd at least have to -aim- at me to kill me.
  13. f0d

as infantry yes and no
    ground vehicles are not scary at all, they are just cans of xp waiting to be opened

aircraft on the other hand are just cheeky, even if you shoot them with MAX flak they just fly away and heal and return for their infantry farm, trying to kill them with launchers dont work because flares and you need a few to kill them
    say you manage to hit one with a rocket, second rocket they flare and run away and heal and come back with their flares recharged for more infantry farming
    or say its a target with even more health like a lib or galaxy, shoot it like 3 or 4 times and then it just goes away to heal and returns to farm some more
    no matter if its rockets or flak or skyguard you cant kill air as easily as ground vehicles
    the problem is air is the only counter to air - there needs to be an air killer that can reliably kill them from the ground, the ttk of a skyguard against a lib/galaxy is redonkulously bad
  14. Atis

Yes, especially air.