Do people really think zerging is bad ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FABIIK, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Johannes Kaiser

Like in Space Tanks. :D
    • Up x 2
  2. Obscura

I often zerg when not playing organized with my own outfit., whats wrong with with playing with the bulk of your faction?
    • Up x 1
  3. JibbaJabba

Boredom?

I can't stomach playing in zergs. The few times I do it kinda goes like this:

You jump to the next base in the lattice have some fun 1 vs 12 action. Nobody from your team joins, and eventually the enemy takes out your beacon. By this time the zerg has arrived and there are spawns available. You spawn, kill just a couple people and now the whole fight has moved to the spawn room. You can either sit on point doing nothing, or you can fire at a spawn room shield. Meanwhile the other team is absolutely miserable and not having fun.

So that's why not. Zergs suck for everyone, especially zergs.
    • Up x 3
  4. Exileant

:rolleyes: The same logic behind people calling others out for being "Try-Hards" or "Sweaty" is being applied. Anything good that is not in their favor is a bad thing to them so they discourage it in hopes of shaming people into attacking alone even though they clearly have no issue with ganging up on people 3 or more on one. People will do and say anything to get the upper hand.

:confused: As for the Base turrets, not really.... I am not sure why they were removed. o_O I always figured it was to make space for them to add new features and equipment and to slow down bluescreen errors.
  5. Exileant

:D Speak for yourself. I have fun no matter which side I am on but I have the most fun when there is a crap ton of people calling themselves pinning at the spawn room. ;) There are no shortage of heads to be tapped and that is even if you decide to remain in the spawn room. When that happens, flanking the enemy leads to absolutely hilarious kills by people not paying attention, and when they finally do take notice and turn around and fight, guess what they are not watching?

o_O I have turned the tide and beaten back insanely large numbers by doing this. :confused: Granted; FULLY stopping a surge is VERY hard to do, but the amount of kills and how much damage you can do will lead to bounties-a-plenty being placed on you. You do not have to be unhappy on the bad end of Surges. You do not have to be bored while being in a Surge either. :) There are plenty of things you can do other than wait around at a point or hawking at a spawn room.
  6. JibbaJabba

I do speak for myself, yes. Seeing someone speak up to defend the Zerg is a first. I doubt you are speaking for others.

Staying in the spawn room is BORING. I push out or I redeploy. You do you.

And yes I'm sure there are plenty of things go do while sitting around with the zerg. BORING things. I want to shoot people and there is very little of that when a zerg has suppressed a base.

Maybe it's just because I'm an old timer that grew up playing little league at the same time as video games. I still revere the concept of sportsmanship even though I play in a game where it is absent by design. Pounding on an underpop that can't realistically fight back is unsportsmanlike and again... BORING. Why not just go play PvE?
    • Up x 3
  7. Exileant

:D Little League. I never thought of it that way, so yes, I can sort of see why you would deem it as unfair. While sports and war are not the exactly same thing, the point is to defeat your opponent, I would say the main difference is what gives you your upper-hand. o_O If your skill is much greater that the person you are playing 1 on 1 against at a base, how would repeatedly beating them in order to stop them from taking it be any more a bad sport? I do not Play Crucible matches with people I am better than. In plenty of my circles that is unsportsmanlike. Yet, people seem to have no problem with that. I do not see them saying: "Beating on you is no fun so I am going to redeploy and let you have this base because I am bored." If you have the upper-hand, you are supposed to milk it because it is not something that is going to last forever. Or at least it would not if we still had access to Cloaking A.N.T.s. That was the true counter to Surges.

;) I grew up with the values of be a good sport. However I am not under the illusion that Surges do not take place in sports as well. Lakers Versus Ravens, Dallas Versus literally ANYONE, trampling your opponent towards a blowout victory is no different than a Surge to me. You still have an unfair advantage over your opponent. You. Some people were not born with the natural ability to react as fast, the same as some were not born able to see 3D in their minds eye so they cannot draw.

:) As I said; there are no shortage of heads to pop at the Spawn Room, ;) "IF" you decide to stay there. I push out plenty from the room, even when it is crowded, I just am a firm believer that you do not have to be stupid about it, what good is pushing out the front where 40 people are waiting for you to do so? I thin it out first, then I push out by encircling and weakening the enemy in ways that will lead to a possibility of taking back the base. :confused: I guess that is why I have so much fun with Surges where I am pinned. It is like a puzzle mixed with just the right amount of Jenga, eliminating the right piece at the right time can see to it that the Surge falls apart by my hand. ;) I am addicted to feeling.

:D If you ever get the chance to feel it too, perhaps you will change your views on Surges. While I cannot speak for everyone, I do speak for me and my little crew. They love the kills we wind up getting. The reason why I like being on the giving end of Surges, is because most of them act like lemmings, they all sit at that one spawn room and fight over that one person knocking their heads back, while I go and prep the next base and start restricting movement by dismantling the flood of vehicles the opposing team ALWAYS on some level, tries to call. In which case, I have placed myself on the other end of a Surge by choice, huh? Hahahaha!

o_O You are bored by choice because it is VERY rare your team will have beaten both factions back to their gates.
  8. JibbaJabba

Speak for yourself. ;)
  9. brutes359

Zerging being bad? Nah my biggest problem with zergs is that there are never more than one. I miss the days when we had giant 300 v 300 armies slamming into each other over hardpoint bases like the crown. My issue is that now when zerges show up, they eigther avoid each other, or one factions players completely ditch their team and join the zerg (happens all the time when alerts pop up on console, TR deflates like a balloon and suddenly theres another hundred or so vs running around).

Overall, I want there to be more zergs, and I want the devs to put systems in place the encourage zergs, especially conflicts between zergs so we actually can enjoy those big team battles. Its only not fun when its a single zerg steamrolling an underpop faction with no resistance.
  10. JibbaJabba

Another reason why I hate zergs. They are chicken **** players and lead by ckicken **** leaders who want to win and only know how to do it by overpop. So they literally avoid each other.

"hey we're going to keep pushing down the lattice" is the order of the day for most Zergs. Who cares that some other enemy zerg is going to just uncontested warpgate us...

The Devs did add the lattice system though. Before that zergs would spend hours avoiding that big battle. Now they at least get forced into one every hour or so.

That said I do like what you describe. I enjoy it when that big zerg finally hits a 50/50 pop and they all get massacred. Big battles are what the games about.
  11. OSruinedPS1

Zerging is terrible gameplay, and the command tools like the bastion/OS has made it much worse.
  12. Johannes Kaiser

Zerging would be fine if they actually went up against one another. Although I guess then it would not be called "zerging", but "big battle". Cuz then it would be fun. But we can't have that near a game, now can we?
  13. Demigan

You arent describing zergs.

A zerg is a mindless mob of the least resistance. By default it overpops an area and stops fights. In the past Zergs were even more about avoiding each other as they could simply capture other hexes instead. The only places where such large battles took place were large facilities, and that is still true today. A Biolab attracts a crowd, if only because it cuts down on the amount of BS you have to deal with (aircraft and vehicles farming the crap out of you) while giving neither attacker nor defender a blatant advantage so the fight can last.

If you want more of that then the best options are:

1: redesign more bases (especially small one's) to have a more balanced fight between the factions. Also small base fights need to make more use of the surrounding area instead of the far too common "attackers waltz up, deploy sundies and the defenders have far too little options to fight them off due to the small scale".

2: redesign the goals, rewards and achievements. It currently focuses on the individual (even the outfit and platoons) and encourages players to end fights rather than create solid enjoyable fights.
    Make sure that goals, rewards and achievements are focused on creating extended fights. Player made objectives which encourage hunting down secondary objectives, adding defenses to bases so you cant just waltz in but need to push through several (!) Secondary objectives to have a good chance at capturing the base, rewards and achievements that focus on hard fought battles rather than capturing empty or overpopped territory etc.