Devs still fails in controlling population.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dreez, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Dreez

Just now, at 15:05 EST +1, VS are controlling 75% of the Hossin Map on Cobalt, and there is no way
    of stopping their zerg, they just swarm into all bases like cockroaches and takes all bases in 5 min.

This is proof that the devs have yet to sort the problem with over-pop and they need to have a forced
    population-roof on each map. No faction should ever have over 35%. If one faction starts getting too
    many players on a map, any other player on that faction needs to be redirected to another map until
    the population is balanced again.

33/33/33% is ideal.. anything between 35-40% should lock the map until balanced.
    • Up x 1
  2. Liewec123

they shouldn't control populations that would ruin the game,
    what they should do is give incentive to play the underpopulated factions.
    i think currently you get a little but of extra xp, but its nothing noticeable.

when you're logging on to pointlessly fight a 70% VS overpop zerg you should be getting double xp.
    without the TR and NC playing cannonfodder there is nothing for the VS to zerg, the game falls apart,
    so please DBG, give us some incentive to keep playing the spawn camped cannonfodder.
    • Up x 2
  3. Movoza

It isn't exactly prime time and you can't lock people out of their factions because of a population advantage. It would be appalling to a huge group of people. Yes there are ideal population balances, but no real good way to enforce it without a lot of opposition.

The only way I can imagine how to fix this is both higher XP bonusses and several grades that, with certain population inbalances, the disadvantaged team will gain more nanites, with possible a temporary higher nanite capacity. This way they can pull force multipliers and use more crowd control weapons (grenades) to swat at the other faction more effectively. The other faction has more units and thus more nanites to spend, so a double or even tripple increase of nanites would be ok. If people don't like the grenade gallore they should not be overpopping.
    There are a few downsides to this, but still less worse than the current situation.
  4. MasterOhh

I love it.
    VS was the low pop faction for over 2 years on almost every server and with low pop I mean the bottom (there were many times on Lithcorp and Cobalt were we considered ourselves lucky when we reached 30% worldpop on prime time). And nobody cared.
    Now that the VS can hold an equal population, suddenly all the drama breaks loose.
    And the best thing is, the whiners are QQing about off time populations where the population dominance of the factions can shift erratically in short time spans.

@OP
    wait an hour or so and you can make a similar post QQing about a TR or NC overpop. But that won't happen, I am sure, because imaginary VS overpop is the flavor topic of the month to complain about on forumside.
    • Up x 1
  5. Alan Kalane

Nope. Artificially limiting player choice is the opposite of PS2's ideal of player-driven warfare. It should be possible to do, but it should also have meaningful consequences.

Systems have to be put in place to discourage overpop and encourage defending territory. In a real world a general could also put all his troops in one place but he never does this.Why? Because it's inefficient. This way you can only defend a small part of your territory and the enemy may cut your supply lines. This is the way it should work in PS2, except here every player is a general for himself.
  6. CNR4806

Let's have three population modifiers, all stacking on top of each other:
    1. Global pop disadvantage bonus (XP + Nanite, the latter should be minor)
    2. Continental pop disadvantage bonus (XP + Nanite)
    3. Local pop disadvantage bonus (XP only, currently implemented)

It won't fix the problem, but if you give some serious incentive to play the underpop faction, it's bound to be better.
  7. FieldMarshall

I log into the underpopulated faction, because being in the high pop faction is both boring and unrewarding.
    You win territory and alerts, whoop de doo.
    • Up x 1
  8. FateJH

I reiterate a previous idea I had put forth in 2014 about a population-dynamic damage multiplier that applies itself to weapon direct damage after being outnumbered by a certain threshold on a given continent.
  9. customer548

If you look at Rebelscum datas, Cobalt server pop was : VS 37.8 / NC 29.8 / TR 32.3 at this right time. Server pop was nearly balanced.

Hossin is not an attractive map for many players. I think the Vanu over-pop was due to Vanu following their outfit on Hossin.

If Vanus were so many on Hossin, it means they were under-poping the other maps.

I hate over-pop too...I'd like to see changes in order to limit over-pop issues.
    But why should Devs prevent players to play the game the way they want ?
    Why should Devs prevent players to follow their Outfit ?
    Overall Cobalt server pop was balanced. Why your faction prefered to ignore Hossin at this right time ?

This.
    I don't think you can blame Devs for boring community habits. Blame the community. If a part of the commmunity enjoys swarming places, that's those players' own choice.
    As long as the overall server pop is pretty balanced, there's no need to add any mechanism in order to limit the over-population on different maps.
  10. OldMaster80

The problem is hitting xp has almost no effect, they must hit nanites. And they have to do that considering population per each territory, not global.
  11. Liewec123

i think xp would still be a decent incentive, xp=certs,
    i wouldn't mind a nanite boost though, maybe it would scale with the overpop, 70% overpop could give 70 nanites per minute,
    it seems rather extreme but perhaps thats what it would take to convince us to play cannonfodder for the VS zergs.

also i agree that it should all be done on a regional basis,
    on cobalt, VS have fairly average population so the TR+NC underpop incentives wouldn't kick in, the problem arises from the majority of their population belonging to several zerg outfits that roll over everything as one giant purple zerg.

tl:dr
    nanite boost would be cool too,
    yep it should be altered on a zone by zone basis.
  12. ModsFreeAreForTV

Hell yeah, love the VS Zerg.

Anyway no, they shouldn't control the population. The main reason a lot of people play PS2, especially Vanu sovereignty, is to be in a massive overwhelming power of people. To be in that 75 percent not just some miniscule 25 percent.
  13. ModsFreeAreForTV

This is the only idea I can agree with. Give them double experience if they want to be our target practice.

As for the people saying target practice is boring, a lot of us enjoy an easy game where we can just garner XP and the likes.
    • Up x 1
  14. Klypto

The system becomes the general

OH MAN OH GEEZ

Reading this is an ironic joke. Your EXP per minute is complete trash because you sit in zergs (128? seriously, how is that possible?).
  15. OldMaster80

The idea should be zergers receive less nanites, meaning less tanks less max less c4. Outpopped factions get more. At least it's a little help to counterattack.
    • Up x 1
  16. Hatesphere

that becasue he currently is an ironic joke of sorts. his toon is less the 3 months old, and hes pretty much presenting himself as a toe headed noob....
  17. ModsFreeAreForTV

Probably because I hop on, play for 10 minutes, then have to go do something else? Sorry I don't devote my whole life to Planetside, as you can see I haven't even gotten to play in a long time.
  18. ModsFreeAreForTV

And I'm someone who wants this shooter to sell, not be the pipe dream you guys imagine it to be.
  19. CipherNine

Cuz troops don't have "instantly redeploy" option in real life
    • Up x 1
  20. ModsFreeAreForTV

Tell that to Hitlers Blitzkrieg which almost won the Axis powers WW2. You CAN concentrate all units in one area, but it has to be done properly. And why are we referencing real life in something as unrealistic as Planetside 2?