Dev team now has to work on a Sunday

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FXRiot, Feb 3, 2013.

1. SenEvason

I feel sorry for the devs since the players want them to be perfect gods when it comes to developing a game.
    • Up x 2
  2. ProGamerGov

They break thing, then they fix them. What is so different from any other game?
    • Up x 1
  3. Kapernum

Not at all. There's a difference between Excellent, Good, Decent, Acceptable, Bad and ******* horrendous.

This is ******* horrendous.
    • Up x 2
  4. JikFive

The second that they accept people's money is the second that expectations and standards rise to a whole new level. These guys churned out a load of garbage and need to fix it.
    • Up x 1
  5. Bambolero

They ment well, to give us new things to enjoy on a weekend but they didn't test it properly, took a gamble and it didn't pay off.
    That's life.
    Time to repair the damage regardless if it's sunday before even more people just ragequit out of frustration.
    I've worked on many sundays and no I didn't liked it very much but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Personaly, I don't have to play video games every single weekend and I'm fine with a downtime but i understand the frustration of the player base.
    • Up x 1
  6. FXRiot

They need a test server. Please do it SOE. Make your life easier.

You make some fixes, pop it on the test server, take a sunday off, bone your wives, come back to work monday, read the bugs, fix it, send it out to the main servers. BOOM. Happy Happy all around.
  7. Voroshilov

As someone responsible for a group of developers, you're misguided. Often times the developer is already working 10+ hours per day, often weekends to fulfill some imaginary deadline laid out by upper management.

Writing quality code takes time, time to think, time to design it, time to make it fast / easy to support, bug free. Trying to write 10k lines of code in one week to satisfy some deadline is not conducive to good standards.

Not saying the developers are blessed, god knows there are enough idiots in the dev camp too, but in this case I would imagine it's less their fault.
  8. SenEvason

No, Big Rigs was horrendous. Ghost Recon:Future Soldier launch was bad. This is acceptable. This game runs for the most part, with some bug fixes coming our way.
  9. onemancrewbtf

There is a silent hotfix of hotfix of previously patch(yo I heard you like hotfixes, so..) now GMT+1, I'm downloading it now.
  10. Corezer

we are floating in space, not through it.

I can assure you, we wont be coming out the other end any time soon...
  11. Ender

I'm actually seriously beginning to wonder if they have more than a handful of people playtesting the game after huge code changes. They simply can't be doing this, just can't at this point, and if they do those playtesters are all smoking medical marijuana and completely forgetting to note bugs found. Any average video game player could find some of these bugs within minutes of playing, and the professionals cannot? What? I imagine their play experience goes something like this,

Play tester 1:
    "Whoaaa dude when you lockdown in the prowler now you can totally snipe vehicles in other bases brahhh, isn't this sweeeeet!" -continues to blow up Hvar, Crown, & Peris turrets from Allatum for several hours before passing out.

Play tester 2:
    "Heey man when I drive this floaty thingy I can totally go any direction I want as long as I don't turn! Leeeeffftttt......riggghhhtttttttt......forrrwwaarrrrdd......leeeeffftttt......SPINNNNNNNNNIIIIIIINNNGGGG Weeeeeeeeee!" - Grabs 3 other playtesters and all synchronously spin in the warpgate for the next hour before vomitting from nausea.

Play tester 3:
    "**** man, this is so totally ****** man, I mean really man, we always get the shaft man. Dude, I'm just going to go hacksaw the **** out of those purple fairies, maybe they messed with our flinch mechanic a bit man. I mean like it could totally be toned down now bro." - Walks outside warpgate, immediately dies to sniper tank. Spawns at Rashnu, walks onto airpad, immediately dies to sniper tank. Spawns Racer 3 Reaver with Max Mag AirHammer, Immediately dies to sniper tank.

Play tester 3 followup:
    "*** MAAANNNNNN"

SOE, I love this game but you absoutely cannot keep BREAKING it every UPDATE. Release smaller updates more frequently so you don't have to sort through as much **** on patch "week/month" because everyone knows this **** is gonna take forever to sort out.

I think the players may be onto something worth listening to here, at least it seems to be the general consensus:
    "Smaller patches...More Frequently...More playtesters....Test Server....Thanx"
    • Up x 1
  12. Kapernum

I'd agree with bad, but since I like to fly it's horrendous.
  13. FXRiot

Well thank god you're here to tell us these things
  14. Rusky

Sad to hear it to be honest, I really don't want the devs to burn out and they've been doing a lot of work lately.

Anyone saying anything about the devs not doing their jobs or "they should be fired" etc, has never worked more than 40h a week in their lives (if that).
  15. MrIDoK

Apparently there are a lot of people in this forum who know everything about how they should make this game...
    Just leave them alone and let them work, they aren't programming a calculator. In a complex project like this you can miss a comma without realising it and that would cause any sort of problem for everyone... and the problem then is not writing a comma, but realising where is that stupid missing comma.

It's not always as easy as a lot of people thinks to solve these problems, and working becomes even more frustrating when all you hear from the community is "learn2code" "you suck" "i will uninstall" "kill yourselves"...
  16. Talizzar

I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around on this one. The date was pushed once. Stop making promises to the players you can't keep. It is so easy to blame upper management as a worker bee.
  17. EWarren

I work in financial engineering, so I have products like any other developer (but I am also the designer / analyst / QA all-rolled in one). If anything breaks that affects our clients, I am fixing them regardless weekends or nights...

It is a life-style we signed up to do, but it usually shouldn't come to that. If a shop constantly having to pull people to do all-nighters and work over the weekend, it hints bad planning, or the product is overtly brittle that any slight touches break things so far out of the left field that nobody (even QA) have thought about (no amount of QA can compensate for bad design).

I think Wednesdays are better for mega-patch than weekends...
  18. necron_

Anyone here who honestly thinks software bugs are only a result of laziness or incompetence has clearly never worked on a complicated software system with an aggressive release schedule. The only people who have a right to criticize are the ones who have their name in the credits of a popular, graphics-intensive, massively-multiplayer game.
  19. Talizzar

If they cared they would not have released the update to begin with. So Smedley demanded that they come in and do their job and we should be thankful? Not me.

I hope the this new patch fixes something, but there is no excuse for what they did to the game and the community as a whole.
  20. Talizzar

Most bugs should be caught by a decent QA or QC system or department. They happen. Nobody is saying they don't. I find it hard to believe that when a patch breaks more things than it fixed that people like you try to make excuses for the game company. Did Higby go to Smed and say hey this patch is not ready and did Smed say so what release it anyway? Who knows.

I have to wonder about their capabilities if this team really thought the patch was ready for release.

I bet there are close to 100 new bugs because of the patch if not double that number.
  21. DiedTrying

They can choose to come in or not.

If they chose not to, they can go to their boss and explain how they wanted to watch the super bowl instead of fixing bugs that cost them players and money.

As Warren said, this is their lifestyle. Of course they are going to come in, they are nerds and it's their job. They stay up till 2 am on the PC every night anyway...what's a few more hours on a Sunday?

I'm not too savvy about the game industry, but I'd wager most of those guys can't afford to be seen as lazy or inflexible by their employers.