Defender Sundy Placement

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DQCraze, Feb 9, 2015.

1. DQCraze

Being able to place defensive Sunderers right on point is turning bases into meat grinders, or Farmside. Dealing with certain bases is hard enough let alone being able to spawn directly on point. Massive over pop is needed because the force multiplier is being placed directly on a covered protected Cap point with chokepoints all around it. Soe needs to look at this because its ruining the gameplay.
    • Up x 1
  2. M4L4CH1TE

I agree that it makes it harder.
    On the other hand, if I think about the balance of the game I'm not as bothered by it. It is almost impossible to defend many bases. The game is really skewed toward offenders taking a base and PS2 base defense is purposefully ham-strung to move the game along. So I'm (personally) OK with defenders being able to have a sundy as one extra spawn point. If the attackers are doing their job it really doesn't delay base take-over by too much.
  3. HadesR

If they did that what they also should do is make it so no attacking sundy can be deployed closer to the cap point than the Spawn room is to the cap ..

So if the Spawn room > cap distance is 200m ( it is and greater in some bases, Soltech Gorge where the distance to the cap point from the spawn is 226m) then that's the no-deploy radius
  4. CipherNine

Deploying Sunderer directly on point can be seen as "digging in" mechanic. Strategy games have this mechanic by which fighting force's effectiveness increases as it remains in one position due to constructing defensive placements. We don't have this in Planetside but closest thing to it are defensive Sunderers.

Also, what you seem to forget is that attackers can also use Sunderers for point pushes but for some reason this is rare occurrence.
    • Up x 3
  5. Reclaimer77

Sorry but this is not an issue at all. Get out of the zerg mentality. Go hit other bases along the hex and FORCE those defenders to either Redeploy or lose multiple bases if they insist on defending the one.

Or just blow the Sunderer up? It's not all that hard.
    • Up x 1
  6. FateJH

In most bases, the ability plant one on or near the point is not a huge deal as there are still various ways to assault it, rednering this almost a non-issue. I'll put forth Heyoka Armory, however, as an example of one such base where the ability to position a Sunderer on the capture point creates an absurd advantage for defenders.

In the case anyone hasn't been to that base in a while, the capture point is on the second story of the building across the street from the spawn room, in a corner of the floor, with the window-less walls of the building to the West and South, a divider wall to the North creating a small opening to allow access, and the East is open but littered with obstacle crates. It's entirely possible to squeeze a Sunderer into this cramped space behind the divider wall, covered from all doors and stairs by the various objects in the room. The low ceiling and well-covered position almost guarantees that the only way to take this Sunderer down is to use explosives at close range; the two very tight access points to this corner of the room with the capture point will both be swarmed with spawning troops with perfect lanes of fire onto the stairs that access the floor.

It's still possible to dump an S-AMS on the capture point in Tech Plants; but, the ability to sneak/bully in through various means keeps the defenders' advantage under control, so that it does not spiral out of control. One-point Amp Stations ony have GSDs to engage S-AMSes right under the point.
  7. Champagon

The biggest problem which facilitates meat grinder and meat grindy bases is the overall base design as a whole.,

The devs are trying to diversify without attending to the underlying cause of the problem itself. There is NO base flow to a battle. In PS1 the battle started on the outskirts of a base. Which then moved to directly outside of the base. then this transitioned to the court yard. As the defenders were pushed back this then changed to the indoor/underground arena. Which ended in a hack of the control console or taking down the spawn rooms/base generator

What is currently happening in PS2 is that it seems as though the devs are trying to make a broken system seem appealing by adding shinys to it, when the core system "Base Flow" is non-existant in PS2.

TL;DR: if Base Flow is fixed overall and a standard for base flow is created Defensive Sundys will solve themselves. Will this lead to samey bases. Yes, but in order to gain in one area you will need to take from another
    • Up x 1
  8. LibertyRevolution

No deploy zones should effect attacker and defenders the same, or they should be removed.
  9. Prudentia

Oh the best base for a defensive sundy is that neat little base at the southern Amerish Warpgate, where the Cappoint is inside that huge custom building without windows.
    we once had INI drive 2 sundies down there with Kobalts and Furies equipped with Blocked and Recon tool spamw everywhere so the second you turned the corner you died.

and AV nades are the perfect counter to that, just go there with 3 bandolier heavies and enjoy the cert rain
  10. CNR4806

The attacker no-deploy-zone is a band-aid mechanism to make defending these swiss cheese bases easier.

Unless we're getting real bases, it should remain in place in the way it is because defenders are supposed to have a god damn advantage.
    • Up x 4
  11. LibertyRevolution

I disagree with this completely...
    This is a game, not real life, as such bases should be balanced by the defender and attackers spawn location.
    The ONLY advantage the defenders should have is a hard spawn.

What if in CS 1.6 on dust2 the Counter Terrorist could spawn at the bomb site, that be fun and fair right?
    That is basically what you are asking for here, and exactly what is created when defenders deploy a sunderer on point.

Lopsided maps are not fun, would you like me to make you a list of lopsided bases?
    I have a list of bases that I consider defend only due to their defender bias...
  12. Reclaimer77

Yes we get a "hard spawn" which is an isolated building, exposed on all 4 sides to enemy fire, absurdly easy to camp and neutralize and in the line of fire of ALL vehicles as well as infantry.

Sorry but you are wrong. The base designs in this game are horrid and defensive Sunderer placement is a balanced and resourceful way to correct that flaw.

Come on, it's time to stop dumbing this game down. How hard is it to get two LAs' with C4 and take a Sundy out anyway??
    • Up x 3
  13. Peebuddy

Most of these defensive sundies can be taken out with one liberator and a burst from his tank buster cannon. Maybe two if he has a shield.

It's almost impossible to destroy a suicidal liberator on a mission to blow up your sunderer in time unless it's in a really impossible spot like a cave.
  14. Killuminati C

I'd be happy even with some kind of no deploy zone marker on my minimap when driving a sundy. It's pretty damn frustrating driving a sundy to try an assault a well populated defense only to be driving all around the exterior trying to find somewhere to deploy. You might as well have a giant sign on you stating, "free certs here"...
  15. HadesR

Considering it's possible for the Attackers to park a Sundy right next to certain cap points .. Freya Amp right within 10m's of B point springs to mind ... With zero no-deploy zone ...

So unless those " bugs " get fixed ... The defenders being able to park on a cap point as well is just as fair
    • Up x 1
  16. FateJH

No deploy zones generated by bases are red tinted circular areas "around" a base on the minimap.
    [IMG]
    No deploy zones temporarily created by other allies are transparent outlined circular areas (with an ally S-AMS in the middle).
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  17. Killuminati C

Weird. I've never seen this. Is there some way to accidently disable it cause that's the only explanation I can think of. I'll have to check my settings I guess.

But I'm well aware of the friendly sundy proximity "no deploy zone" which I can see clearly marked.

Thanks for the reply anyway. I guess it's a problem on my end.
  18. DQCraze

Not hard? Try getting into Mekela Mining with 4 platoons on it with a Shield Sundy on the second level. Or we could go to the Accent, or Bastion or Moss Ravine or NC Arsenal. So redeployside and they match or over pop the lattice and they hold the Biolab also on the east so both those lattices are closed. Tell me great wise one how do we get more territory without going through a grinder.
  19. DQCraze

Never seen a lib fly down inside a tech plant or Sub T or Mekela Mining.

All im asking for is the no deploy zone work for the defenders as well. If they want to drive vehicles in there fine. Just dont allow them to deploy.
  20. Xasapis

The majority of bases give a distinct advantage to attackers. I don't see why putting a sunderer in a better position than the base spawn point is such big an issue, considering how easy it is to destroy them in most cases.