Defend the base

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bonga, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Bonga

one thing i think is a bit sad in PS2 ATM, is no one want to defend. its more or less some big blobs running around and capping bases. what it fine in a way. But defending should be just as big part of the game, i dont have any golden idea to how. but one thing that maybe can help is. Give 2x xp for defending vs capping ? and a better way of calling in help at a base.
    Also if there are many A to G planes. a good way to call in A to A support ect.

And get the F out of the spawn and go to A B C to defend.
    • Up x 1
  2. d1spatch

Agreed something needs to be done 100% about this.
  3. bPostal

It's more a problem with a majority of outposts as they really ****** suck to defend.
  4. Freyar

You already get a 30%(?) bonus for all actions you make while a territory is under attack. The difference is you get it in smaller increments as you do things as opposed to a lump sum like when you attack.
  5. Skillet

Defending bases used to be rewarding with big xp gains for the defenders. This was changed after Beta, gg soe. The big battles that were common place during the Beta are now rare and have been replaced by the mostly uncontested mechanized zergs and air amardas intent on base and infantry farming. Zergs rarely fight Zergs, its faster Xp without losing resources to just roll over empty bases. As it stands right now, unless changes are made, the game will suffer a slow death population wise through plain boredom. It will become another low population cult PS1. C'mon SOE get your act together, you can do this.
    • Up x 3
  6. NoctD

It needs to go both ways - XP for capturing/defending a well defended base needs to go up, since everyone wants those certs. Otherwise, its just easier to skip the massive battles and just roll over empty bases or those with a pittance of defenders that are there for you to slaughter. Even the offensive side is avoiding pushing on a well defended base, the reward is not worth the meat grinder at the moment.
  7. gobbybobby

yer bring back XP for defending.
  8. wolfva

I think, in a good defense, we end up getting more XP because of the defense bonus then we got from the end of battle bonus. But sadly, people can't do math. Unless a great big "1000 XP DEFENSE BONUS!!!" message clicks on the screen with swirling lights and sound effects, they mope and kvetch, "Aw man! I gots NUTTIN from d'fendin dis base! Screw that! I'll never defend agin!" and they sulk out the gate, refusing to hold bases we fought hard to get. That they may have earned MORE then a 1000 xp doesn't matter. Those small incremental additions aren't as obvious. I also believe these are the same folks who, seeing a 4pack of toilette paper for 2 bucks and an 8pack for 3 will buy the 4pack because, "Hey man! It's cheaper! By a whole dollar! What, you blind?!?"

I'm a big proponent of defending because it's the right thing. I don't like putting several hours of my time into capturing a base, then repairing it, only for 4 guys to sneak in and cap it because all our forces are out capping other bases that will also be lost swiftly. BUT: I'm a realist enough to understand that people don't do things because it's right; they do things because they're rewarded. So, I think we need to have that big loud message, and do away with the incremental defense bonus. Otherwise defense is a thing of the past.
  9. PoopMaster

Yep, I hope they implement an incentive for players to actually stay at front-line bases. What happens is a zerg washes through a base then no one stays to defend. Maybe you could gain exp when you're in one for a certain amount of time. And you only gain it if a certain amount of enemy territory is touching that base.
  10. wolfva

Heh Poop, if they implemented that there'd be a LOT of people standing by at the base. And that's all they'd be doing...standing. AFK.
  11. Freyar

I like the idea that you're getting bonuses for actually participating. One of the problems of a static XP gain for defense was that people were AFKing during defensive fights rather than participating.

Perhaps bonuses should be separated or marked on XP lines? Maybe when the "Facility Secured" notice comes up it gives you the final total of what you earned? It'd need to be very obvious that it's what you earned AS A DEFENSIVE BONUS though, otherwise people will whine that they didn't get what the screen said.
    • Up x 1
  12. McKnighter

Sounds like a good plan to me.
  13. Teshrrar

I posted that at another topic, but:

This is the one things that annoy me actually. You expend 1 hour attacking a tech plant, then "wow, we did this, didn't?". After 5 minutes, the tech plant is desert of allies and you watch enemies coming from every side. Then you think "where's my army? I'm sure I wasn't alone here!".

Defense need some type of reward, higher than capture, what will make you "protect your people" before try expand your geographic area.

Like me (and the OP), we have players who loves fight for your nation/faction, but SOE need to see that the majority of players is playing just a common FPS, hunting score and points. Without an incentive, ppl still will leave 1 minute after capture the base.
    • Up x 1
  14. xboxerdude

I love defending bases but it sucks when you have no support and everyone leaves, add in defense xp.

Give 2x EXP and Certs when withing 25 m of a point and 1.3x when in vicinity of a base that is ON the front lines (front lines change alot so harder to afk) and 1/4 of the points you get for capturing an enemy base, mayb e even 1/8 the points, just something to make people stay and defend it is really hurting what this game can turn into, you have a great opportunity devs!
  15. Ac3s

At the end of beta I LOVED the infantry fights we had in all thsoe bio labs, i mean it was the best part of the game!
    Now they never happen again, soe really ****** up there.
    The only infantry battles happening is at tech plants nowadays, and they suck b a l l s because there are only 2 small doors and it becomes yet another deathtrap.
    Indeed, im already getting bored, all i do now is fly in a mossie and look on the map all the time, hopping from one base to another if i notice its being capped, any other type of play is just disencouraging atm.
  16. Bloodtank

Not sure what this 30% resources is for me.. All I know is I am extremely bored out of my skull and see no point in standing around doing basically nothing waiting for some team to maybe break the lines, oh i use to do that because, yeah my defense time gave me a reward... dunno what thi 30% is.. but i can care less about it.. can tell ya that.
  17. Takoita

+1 to this.

Unless people decide to dig in and duke it out, the whole caravan leaves within 2 minutes and opens up the base for a squad of people that wait for them to leave it and recap with no effort. Round and round and round we go - attackers capture new territories, defenders recapture them right back :(
  18. Teshrrar

I finally get tired of try def alone. The game is awesome, but that zerg attacks isnt fun. While the enemy team is attacking a base, we have a zerg attacking some desert enemy base.

I lost my interest for the game now, since the strategy dont exist, just a lot of pew pew players.

Hope the SOE change the actual state and make some "political" reason to ppl stay/back and def zones.
  19. Apina

Bad design, zerg is too strong, everything is uaully over way way too fast. Lower the population cap per server. This game isnt working for such a high population.
  20. antonejacobs143

if i am correct all you people saying to SOE get your **** together thats not a fair statement. and correct me if i am wrong the game has only been out for a few weeks. the first few weeks of a games launch can be very hectic for game devs which include glitchters hacks and bugs within the game its self so give them a break.