Deconstructing Mines

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Raysen, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Raysen

New player here!
    Lately I had been quite enjoying playing the engineer role. Free repair, place turrets, get infinite ammo and whats more... I feel as if it's one of the most usefull classes so far, with so many team roles!
    Being often around to repair allied vehicles and MAXes I upgraded the tool to lvl 6 and read the surprise: free enemy mines deconstruction. Cool!

Well kinda. Is it only me or it's actually useless? I try to compare it to the easier way: shoot the mine. It's faster, less risky, the only situation you might not want to shot it is because it's placed in a tight space where exploding might damage your shields... but come on, why caring of them?

My question is: since tank mines are worth 50 nanites, does deconstructing "earns" me that value? Because otherwise there is really no point in this perk...

I personally believe it would be more valuable if instead of deconstructing you could -hack- the mine to become your own. You take the risks to be in the middle of a road spending dangerous seconds near a mine, at least earning yourself a friendly mine. It also would allow to make use of mines without equipping them yourself, simply changing faction to those already placed by the enemy!

Anyone thinking the same?

Bonus question: how is it that HA rockets can be refilled with the ammo pack but granades not? Isn't that nonsense? o.o
  2. Armcross

It is useful when enemy tank mine are under your deployed sundie.

Bonuse answer: you might be surprise or overwhelm of how many you could perceive "nonsense" here.
    • Up x 1
  3. Raysen

So you are telling me the Repair tool receives a Perk which is EXTREMELY occasional, working in a really, really rare situation in which you might have a positive end like 1 time on 100?

I find this really disappointing.
  4. Deffington

The best part is, when you try to deconstruct a mine, there is always hyperactive ally who shoots it to kill you.
  5. Ximaster

Wow,its the first notice i hear,the engies can disarm tank mines???? Thats incredible!!! I usually shoot him with the pistol :eek:
  6. Problem Officer

There's already 4 ways at least I can think of to use enemy tank mines as your own, hacking them would just be redundant.
    Deconstructing is useful whenever you don't want the noise drawing attention or alerting the owner that they're gone,
    also explosions in closed spaces may easily kill you, teammates or your vehicles.
  7. Raysen

I already have so much fun placing my own mine right next to the enemy one, so that their tanks won't notice the threat and blow up easily :p But I still believe it would be definitely more usefull having a perk which allows to switch tank mines from enemy to friendly, and allow you to save on tank mines.
    If not, blowing up a mine with a pistol shot from safe distance is 95% of the times a better option. Why in hell do we get a Perk worth the risks only in 5% of the situations?
  8. Pelojian

when i find enemy mines i ether blow them up if i think i'm not safe, deconstruct them and sometimes after deconstructing them i place the same number of mines in the same approximate spots. if the enemy has been through there enough times after the enemy engineer placed the original mines they won't bat an eye over driving over your mines cause clearly they are friendly :D.
  9. Goretzu

Well you get a bit of exp. for doing it! :p

Hacking is interesting, but DBGs don't seem to be too keen on that (vehicle hacking has been "coming" for 3 years now).

It is definately sometime useful though, when leaving it is dangerous and blowing it is dangerous....... of course most of the time someone comes along and shoots it as you're 90% the way through disarming it (Flak5 ftw).
  10. TechPriestess

Given that this happens surprisingly often, it actually can be -very- helpful especially since you know that engineer will be coming back asap to nuke the sundie by blowing them and tossing more down then blowing those.
  11. DeadlyPeanutt

if you kill an engie putting mines under your sundie or in a room full of your infantry, disarm the mines, otherwise shoot them.
    • Up x 1
  12. Nogrim313

given how much they cost and now that we have EOD hud implants i think the ability to destroy mines should be removed unless you are using the engie tool. (implant energy really needs to just go away)

i mean ffs tank mines are supposed to be buried for a reason...
  13. hostilechild

deconstructing tank mines is huge exp. Unfortunately people like to shoot them while you try, Need a big red flag over us that says, DON"T SHOOT I AM HELPING REMOVE MINES! Kind of like people blowing up hacked turrets/terminals while the infil tries to hack back )
  14. Shiaari

You don't understand. Tank mines under a sundy is a BIG deal, and without this feature of the repair tool there would be no way to extract mines from under a sunderer, effectively immobilizing it, because so long as the mines are there you can't move it. For obvious reasons shooting mines under a sundy isn't a good way to solve the problem, either.

That feature you claim is useless is actually very important.
    • Up x 1
  15. Armcross

Don't under estimate This ability
  16. FeralBoy

Shiaari pretty much summed it up quite nicely.

On a side note I wish they would add a voice macro using the Drill Instructor voice pack you could activate when the repair tool is equipped that screamed "Stop that vehicle maggot! Deconstructing mines here you dummy!"
  17. Leivve

If you place a mine on top of them, they'll see the friendly mine marker, and wont even bother looking. Plus if they only have one or two mines covering a wide road, your mine will detonate theirs, turning it from an annoyance to deadly.
    • Up x 1