Dear SOE please fix the lagging

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by {joer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. {joer

Since GU2 this is getting silly. I have a uber machine and a great internet connection. Its not my end. The game was mostly fine outside of people with poor connections in GU1. My performance was excellent.

Now even running settings so low I'm cpu throttled, guys do less walking and more micro-warping. Close gunfights always end with both of us dead. Sometimes after I reach cover.

I'm not the only one seeing this, but its the gorilla in the room thats being ignored. Its making the game far less enjoyable.

And now you are merging servers. So bigger battles......

Do you see where this is going to be a problem? Please, please, figure out what you "tweeked" in GU2 and untweek it. Thank you.
  2. Morpholine

Question: ASUS mobo with EPU?
  3. control-z

I have to agree with you there, it's amazing how often an enemy and I kill each other at the same time. I question how bad things will be after the server merges too.
  4. {joer

Asus mobo check.
    EPU I keep turned off.

Whats the issue?

Edit: found the thread, my problem isn't like that, though I'll double check my epu settings tonight.
  5. Morpholine

Turned off via the software settings, or elsewhere? Setting mine to the lower settings helped, but did not solve the problem.

I had an issue with the client desynching, which looked a lot like latency on my end, but was not. It also appeared with GU2.

I'll list my symptoms, and we'll see what fits. You may very well have a different problem than I did, but I may be able to help.

1. "Brownian motion" on the mini map. Friendly and enemy icons would twitch constantly on my mini map.
    2. Units, both friendly and enemy, would appear to be stable within a short-ish radius around me, but beyond that would teleprot, twitch, randomly change orientation, etc.
    3. I'd get a client hard-lock (requiring termination from the task manager) every 15 to 30 minutes. Shorter if I had my EPU on auto or turbo, and longer if set to power saving.
    4. My squadmates reported I was flickering/lagging all over the place, any time I moved. Personal experience showed I was nigh-unkillable when this happened, so long as I kept moving and sprinting. This is what caused me to look into the issue.
    I checked everything. Drivers, ping to servers, latency, nothing was amiss. And the problem was non-existent until GU2. Many searches later, I found a couple threads in the gameplay bugs and general technical support forums that helped. (I don't, however, have the links handy.)

The issue seems to be related to motherboards that can dynamically change clock speeds, on both the CPU and other components, for performance.

To fix it, I had to go into my BIOS, and in the performance section change "AI Overclock Monitor" from automatic to manual. It's the only change I made.

I lost a few average FPS by making the change (my system no longer changes clock speeds for performance), but it solved the desync and crashing issue completely.
  6. {joer

I've rarely had the stutter issue (usually only one guy so I assumed it was his problem), and I've never had a hard lock but I'll give it a check tonight. Thanks!
    • Up x 1
  7. Morpholine

I still get the odd random person teleporting all over, but at this point I'm pretty sure he's got an undiagnosed (or intentionally abused) issue similar to mine.

Unless they're doing silly things like flying around as a HA or teleporting much farther than one could reasonably sprint. Then I figure its a third-party cheat.