Darker Nights is pretty, NOT fun!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Enig, Oct 31, 2013.

1. TKuronuma

My issue with darker nights is that would tip the scales primarily in the hands of the Vanu, considering their default uniforms are already a dark shade of purple with mostly dark gray-black webbing underneath what little purple armor they already wear.

The TR have default camo that has a lighter shade of gray/white with dark red armor over the top of it.

The NC would be entirely screwed at night, since their default camo paints everyone in bright desert-tan with electric blue and bright yellow caution tape all over it, making them the easiest to spot. It's ridiculous.
  2. Gammit

I played in beta, and I loved it. You had to choose to turn the light on and risk exposing yourself or not. Teammates should still show the Dorito.

IIRC, the flashlights were good to temporarily blind others too.
    • Up x 2
  3. vilehydra

Dark nights were amazing (despite the inherent advantage it gave the VS, which is lowered now due to darker camo)

Tracers flying through the air were traceable, flashlights were (semi) useful, and sneaking at night was fun.

It changes the gameplay in a good way and then switched back to normal on a set timer. Night is ******* awesome
    • Up x 1
  4. Louey

What if they added some flood lights to some bases? It would be more realistic to me.
  5. Crackulous

Oh god yes.

My photon pods and PPA are ready.
  6. Pie Chasm

It's good, because you can turn your gamma up to super nova and roflpwn those noobs who like pretty nights.
  7. OldMaster80

NV optics and / or flashlight, maybe?
  8. chilly154

I like the dark nights!
  9. VonStalin

Play in the dark is annoying. It's not fun. I always boost my gamma at night.
    At first a lot of changes and improvements has to be done before applying such darkness.
    For example, even snipers does not have ability to scope in the dark..
    Dark nights is totally pointless right now.
  10. Detectivemac

NV Scope. Having a friend spotting targets. And keep in mind they can't see you, either.

Also, you're pretty scummy if you boost your gamma in the dark, IMO. That kind of "MUST WIN MUST WIN" attitude is exactly the sort of thing that this community doesn't need.
    • Up x 1
  11. VonStalin

" "MUST WIN MUST WIN""
    No, it is more like "MUST HAVE FLUENT AND FUN GAMEPLAY".
    And speaking of NV, there is no such thing despite scope. And it is NOT FUN to run around SCOPED IN.
  12. Detectivemac

It ever occur to you that more than a few people think dark nights, being unable to make out opponents until you're too close for comfort, hostiles being able to lurk pretty much anywhere is fun, and it adds a tension you can't really get in any other way?

Probably not.
  13. VonStalin

I am sorry, but i don't find fun in struggling to see a thing in the dark, specially when it could be my enemy.
  14. Warruz

No Darker nights until proper lighting is in place. That means lights coming from actual sources not just the general world, Vehicles and Flash lights having an actual use / purpose, bases should be lit up like damn christmas tree's ,emergency lights when generator goes out, and indoors not being effected by this darkness as they have their own lighting source.

Until these things happen then its a big no from me. But the better question is why is this even on the PTR, we should be focused on optimization. Having Darker Nights function properly should be far off the docket until at the very least we get Hossin, World Lattice , Cont Locking, and Resource Revamp are vastly more important.
    • Up x 5
  15. Liewec123

i agree totally, its like the small amount of people who said "i don't like respawns i want to have to drive everywhere to make it more realistic" and SoE listened to them, respawns near the fun were removed.
    now its happening again with "i don't want to be able to see at night to make it more realistic!"
    screw your realists, we play the game for fun, not to stare at a black screen while spamming "Q" until a triangle appears.
    • Up x 2
  16. Detectivemac

That's fine, but some people think that is fun. You have tools to combat the dark, and if gamma cheating is fixed, everyone will be in the same boat as you; so that's not really an issue.

The problem here is that this is the only multiplayer shooter like this where darkness has even been considered so those that would really enjoy it don't really have anywhere else to go, but you can't just say "why don't you go to the literal thousands of other shooters with eternal brightness" since Planetside's currently the only true MMOFPS out there.

It's a pickle.
  17. VonStalin

well said, totally agree
  18. VonStalin

There are not enough of tools and they are pretty much useless.
    There is NO NIGHT VISION. Thats it. There could be no more talk about the night being darker, while there are no tools to fight in it.
    It is futuristic game, and they have no technologies to see in the dark... Yaeh..
    • Up x 2
  19. Chemicalnurd

I find the slight extra darkness great to look at but it has almost no influence on the gameplay, and I don't even increase my gamma or anything; I can see just fine even though it is now dark rather than just blue - it's dark, not pitch black.
    Frankly I want it darker, but just having back the awesome visuals a real night rather than a blue filter brings is good enough for me.
  20. Detectivemac

You aren't the definitive authority on fun, guys. People can have different opinions.

I think having dark nights out on the trails/fields/etc with bright lighting in and around bases/controllable floodlights on base walls would be the best option, catering to both sides; but others may disagree. Pretty much done arguing. S'all opinions.

And for the record, I don't like the new spawn system. Not being able to spawn everywhere at all times is one thing, but the new spawns just flat-out don't make sense at times.

EDIT: what do you mean you don't have tools seeing in the dark was the original intent of the IRNV sight