Cyclone - Tempest

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by actionpark, Jan 7, 2016.

1. actionpark

So for you ADS players....

Cyclone with forward-grip versus the Tempest?

What do you prefer?
  2. Moz

Tempest.

I'm personally not a fan of the Cyclone.... It doesn't do anything good.

You want an all out close range SMG? Blitz is the answer.

You want an SMG that will reach out in range a bit? NS7 or tempest is the answer.

Cyclone is just a bit "meh".... Doesn't really do anything well.
  3. Taemien

The Cyclone has the fastest TTK of any weapon in the NC arsenal outside shotguns and rockets. You can literally drop HA's before their shields go up.
    • Up x 1
  4. FieldMarshall

Cyclone with SPA is better than Tempest at ranges closer than 25m.
    Tempest is better when fighting at ranges further than 25m.
    • Up x 1
  5. actionpark

Hmm...maybe i've been unclear.

What I mean is - what gun is more accurate. Form a mechanics perspective..

Is the reduced COF - stats for Tempest "better" than the reduced horizontal recoil from Cyclone with forward-grip.

Or does it even itself out?
  6. Moz

Well that's a tough one.

Easiest way to figure that out is the VR room targets (under the VR). Fire full clip from each and check bullet holes in targets.
  7. UberNoob1337101

Depends on situation and how you fire.

In the first 1-4 shots, Tempest is more accurate because of the 0.2 ADS CoF while moving and requires a little less tracking because it has HVA built-in (18 m/s difference between the Tempest and no SPA Cyclone and 36 m/s difference if it's a SPA Cyclone). However, because of HVA and no fore-grip/compensator, the accuracy quickly falls off and it's rather shaky.

Cyclone has 0.3 ADS CoF, but because it has no HVA and access to the forward grip + compensator, it's the best if you're relatively close and burst in 3-6 shots.

For shorter range ADS, go Cyclone but if you want longer range, are a fan of bursting and want more sustainability Tempest is better.
  8. Gundem

Because somewhere, the devs decided SMG's actually don't need longer TTK's, but only after making every other SMG in the game first?

:confused:
  9. Taemien

I have no idea what you're talking about. Cause if I remember correctly, the Cyclone was part of the 1st Gen SMGs.
    • Up x 1
  10. Iridar51

From a mechanics perspective, Tempest is screwed up by +50% vertical recoil from its HVA and lack of a forward grip. Tighter CoF is nice, but made irrelevant by recoil.
  11. Gundem

My mistake, don't really know which gen the TR or NC SMG's are.

Still though, at least for VS our SMG's have higher TTK then other CQC weapons, so it still applies, sort of. Unless the Cyclone has a slower TTK then the GD-7F?
  12. Iridar51

Has slower. Taemien meant "for HA", probably, because both NC medics and LAs get weapons with higher DPS than Cyclone.
  13. Gundem

Oh, I kind of guessed that. It would be insane if you had a gun with a faster TTK then 845/143
  14. Scr1nRusher

Tempest can work better over ranges.

Cyclone with suppressor for CQC sneaking.
  15. Anonynonymous

Cyclone is godly for people who's good and rarely miss their shots.
  16. TheKhopesh

In my experience, the Cyclone is better.
    The HVA on the Tempest feels like it's non-existent, the Cyclone has options, and SPA is a godsend for the ranges where an SMG would be better over any ranged weapon on another class.
    The NS-7 PDW beats the **** out of both the Cyclone and Tempest past 6-11m anyway thanks to having better accuracy, 15m max damage distance, and SPA to push that out to 20m max damage distance.
    And even at +21m, the PDW has better accuracy and damage drop stats, so it can land shots where you put them at further ranges.