Cut Down On Sustainable Zergs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SiosDashcR, Apr 9, 2014.

1. SiosDashcR

By making it cost more resources the further you are from your warp gate. (ie. If you're at the front door of your enemy's warpgate, spawning say a.. Sunderer at the base furthest from your warpgate and closest to theirs would cost 750 Mechanized resources) and an increase to acquisition timer.

And depending on how much territory a faction owns, if less than 33% (a third of the continent), they get a slight discount for pulling out vehicles as well as decrease to acquisition timer.

Got this idea from a friend, Balex54231 -- Not sure if it's worth doing on SOE's end, but I feel like it'll give other factions a "fighting chance" against a zerg that can currently pull out vehicles nonstop, especially when they own almost the whole continent and are banking in on that loaded resources.

Also I feel that if Liberators are going to be as is and not toned down (which I believe they should), they should change out the captured Amp Station's benefit with "Ability to spawn Liberator or Use Tower Ammo (Forcing players without an Amp Station, to go all the way back to Warp Gate for ammo)", similarly to how MBTs have to have a Tech Plant to spawn at any base.
    • Up x 1
  2. SiosDashcR

//Edit:

By making it cost more resources the further you are from your warp gate. (ie. If you're at the front door of your enemy's warpgate, spawning say a.. Sunderer at the base furthest from your warpgate and closest to theirs would cost 750 Mechanized resources -- forcing some to spawn their vehicles instead at warp gate or perhaps somewhere near the middle of the map (which would be a flat resource cost, not increased) and having them drive to the enemy's warpgate) and an increase to acquisition timer.
  3. Sandpants

Ok, but how do you apply it?
    What about vehicles that were brought to a fight from a place relatively close to the warpgate.

The idea is good IMO, but I can't see it being significant because travelling isn't that big of an issue.

It's an interesting idea.
  4. SiosDashcR

Lol, sorry about making you cross out what you just made.

Yeah, I just feel that to the least, if you are going to be pulling out vehicles in a zerg that's already roflstomping the competition, it should be harder to be able to keep that column up and going. It also makes roads that would be otherwise be empty (since there's no reason to go to bases out in the middle of your territory), crucial points for tank mining and AV set ups from the enemy.

Idk, just my 2 cents.
  5. ABATTLEDONKEY

:eek:

real meaning to a warpgate and strategic function??!?!?!?! This is Heresy to the BF3/4/Titans clone (en mass) that the SOE team wants.

Remember boys and girls, this game, for better or worse, was built around the K.I.S.S. platform. Keep It Simple, Stupid. The more thought that goes into gaming, the more lemmings fall away to other mindless twitch games, so SOE has employed a business policy of conservatively earning money through proven concepts, and absolutely no envelope pushing.
  6. Sandpants

The lemmings don't have to worry about it.

In fact their complete unawareness is what will make this function well. And over time they will become accustomed to it, learn to appreciate the implications and search for solutions.
    • Up x 1
  7. Kriegson

Unecessary due to new resource system that is planned.

The new system will have players with a single pool of resources for everything they pull, that they regain directly from the resource pool of a base. Bases have finite pools that can be depleted by players pulling faster than the base can naturally recover, so in theory in stages 2/3 of the resource re-vamp players will be able to physically move supply in convoys to bases that are preparing for a heavy defense/attack, or at cut off from the lattice (Which receive no resource gain).

IE mindless zergs drink the base dry and now have nothing but their guns if they pull everything from a base but manage to get pushed back.
    • Up x 2
  8. Bruno Puntz Jones

Discounting vehicles significantly when pulled at the warpgate is fine. The existing resource costs for vehicles pulled in the field are fine.
    • Up x 1
  9. ABATTLEDONKEY

Oh I agree with you. I believe that MOST players have such a simplistic approach to games simply because they have never actually been exposed to what truly good gameplay is, and if they were, they, like we did, would really enjoy it. My post was more of a statement of how SOE approaches this game, than my own feelings.
  10. UberBonisseur

That's not how it works, but it will probably cut down the post-capture vehicle zerg.
  11. Pirbi

There is already a cost to this. If a faction intends to warpgate another faction, the third faction takes advantage of their enemies over extension and huge line to defend. The warpgated faction is also narrowly focused. So it becomes difficult for the attackers to maintain the force needed to contain the warpgated faction.
  12. Sandpants

How so?
    With no meaning attached to land there is no real "line to defend", so there is no difficulty "for the attackers to maintain a force required to contain the weak" - the warpgating faction that is losing land to the third will simply redeploy to the frontline where they are pushing the first one.The product of which you get biolabs deep in enemy territory cut off from your own warpgate (not so relevant).

It's kinda baffling that people still think this game is push-pull just because "wer lsing ar retritorry derp". This game is only push, and if you can't push, you go somewhere where you can.
    • Up x 1
  13. Pirbi

Yes, they start redeploying to defend. And thus there are less available to camp the warpgate. Meanwhile, the warpgated faction starts building up and bursts out like a cornered cat. So yes, the faction that warpgates you can win the loss of all their territory save for something like the biolab cut off from their warpgate. Thus there is a cost. I actually like arriving on a warpgated continent that is active. Last night, NC was nearly warpgated on Indar at the start of the Indar alert. Very fun fights clawing out of that. Plus the TR and VS don't fight each other except for a few token slap fights. If you wander into the middle of one of their fights, its just all pillow throwing and giggles.
  14. Sandpants

No. That is not what I said.
  15. Titan6

This would actually be really cool if/when they allow galaxies to carry vehicles.

though, if they do this, I'd assume they'd lower the cost of things at the warp gate.
  16. JudgeDeath

I bet the whole resource fiddling will end into a situation where you cant pull anything from anywhere more then once a day ... And we fall to server pops that make MAG look like a massive game.

Atleast the "stop the zerg" guys will be happy then.
  17. JustARandomNobody

I am hoping the new resource system cuts down drastically on the vehicle spamming/zerging. Other than that the mission system should also be used to help direct roughly equal sized forces and outfits against each other to create good fights by giving different people different missions while still having a random battlefield.
  18. SiosDashcR

Warpgating almost all of Amerish gives you about 250~ Mechanized/Infantry per tick (Not sure about Aero, because I rarely use that) -- That means after 15 minutes (3 ticks later), you can pull out another vehicle.

So no, it just means you can only pull out a vehicle every 15 minutes -- And that's only IF you're warpgating another faction. If all three factions own 33% of the continent, there is no increase resource cost/acquisition timer.

//Edit:

Unless if you're talking about the new resource revamp, which I have no idea of.

In most cases, the enemy ends up leaving and some logging out because of the constant steamrolling. I've seen it all too many times when if there's a majority population of X faction on Y continent, after some severely outnumbered platoon fights where the numbers are 2:1, 3:1 or higher -- people end up leaving the continent altogether.

What does this mean? It means the overpopulating faction will be able to control both warpgates efficiently until one of the following happens:
    1) One of the faction organizes leader's chat (lol) to push out with a massive platoon for a warp gate (which can happen, but usually isn't the case)
    2) When the victimized faction that's been defeated over and over again logs out or changes continent -- forcing the outnumbering faction to change as well, because they got bored.

Point here is, the other faction shouldn't have to move to a different continent to get rid of the enemies camping bases around warpgate, especially when any dent into their vehicles just means they can pull another one out as soon as their acquisition timer is done, since resources aren't an issue when you're getting over 250+ per tick (at least in Amerish). Even that platoon force can only push out so much because thanks to the lack of resource on the continent, they'll probably be able to pull out their sturdy vehicles only 2-3 times before succumbing to the lack of resources to keep their armor going.
  19. Phyr

I find the best way to kill a zerg, is to kill it with weapons. Zergs tend to fall apart when faced with a bit of resistance.
  20. SiosDashcR

Not when they're able to pull out another vehicle as soon as they lose one because of the massive gain in resources.