[Guide] Crown Defence

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CFMallard, Dec 20, 2012.

1. CFMallard

Last night on SolTech > Indar we (NC) were defending the Crown and suddenly a line of VS MBT's appear on the opposing ridge line. (Facing the vehicle path out of the Crown) and then for the next 45 mins the usual tower and MBT versus the ridge line tanks all out shoot fest. Of course because there are engineers on both sides cooking repair tools to keep the vehicles and towers intact no one really does any damage.
    I then thought to myself I could spawn an MBT and join the shenanigans but I won't so I spawn a lightning and carefully drive out of the Crown (thankfully avoiding any TKs) and disregard the bridge fight then head straight up the cliff face were the sieging VS tanks sit. All of the tanks being zoomed in to engage targets do not see me crest the hill so I drive a straight line through the unsuspecting VS engineers getting 4 kills right off the bat with my treads then two bursts from my main gun 3 more engineers explode behind a VS tank.
    Now the tanks know where I am and what I'm up to.
    I fire and drive as fast as I can on a wide circle doing a burning wagon routine so that the VS tanks are firing in on themselves in a crossfire.
    The engineers out of the equation, my tower guns are tearing the tanks apart and two friendly Heavies fire rockets into the Frey.
    My lighting dies quickly, but not before inflicting the damage necessary to break the stalemate and allow us to move up past the tanks.

I'm not posting this for any real purpose more then just to give ideas on how to break stalemate assaults.
    I'd post a vid but have NO idea on how to record one. I'm usually a console gamer.
    Have fun out there.
    See you on the field.
    • Up x 2
  2. Trinith

Good job on trying something new :)

There's little cost to dying in this game but it seems everybody is afraid to push. I find this is the same in a lot of fast-spawning FPS games. If you have a little less regard for your own life and just get out there and do some damage, you'd be surprised at how effective you can be. You may have died, but you took town many others with you and distracted the enemy enough to give your team a chance to push up.

Nicely done!
    • Up x 1
  3. FlayvorOfEvil

I was there and it was completely awesome. Rushed after you a Sundy for support but there wasn't that much of a need for it.
    • Up x 1
  4. CFMallard

I defiantly agree with you trinith it seems theres two fields of thought stalemate and wait for the third faction to attack and change the battle or Zerg till you drop.
  5. Infinity24k

Good story and nice idea. Trying something new instead of being afraid to push is excactly what came to my mind when this happened: We wanted to attack a tower but the turrets were manned and shot at us so we literally stopped and fired back at the tower. But if all of our vanguards and sundys would simply have gone straight ahead, we could have directly got into the tower. We just should have pushed on. Even if a turret would have constantly fired at one single tank he wouldnt have exploded as he could reach the dead angle of the turrets within 10 seconds. We captured the tower anyway so it´s not a big deal. But kind of unecessary.
  6. TheScapegoat

I find the easiest means to win the Crown/Crossroads stalemate is to win air superiority, once the Dalton/Zhyper libs can get on station it quickly changes the flow of the battle.
  7. CFMallard

That's true everyone shoots the air down then starts fighting each other again lol.
  8. NullPointer

LOL. Good for you OP!
  9. Karragos

Even though there is no penalty for death in this game, I still found myself hesitant to take risks. Once I broke out of that mold, the game got considerably more enjoyable for me, and I actually found myself improving in skill as well. It is that K/D stat in my profile that had previously kept me conservative in my play. I just decided to say **** it and forget it's even there. I'm glad I did. :)
  10. Cavadus

I did something similar last night. We Terrans zerged armor out of the crown to hit that biolab SW of our position and our armor column just completely halted on the road where it forks to go up the hill to the lab.

I worked my way up the column in an AP Lightning and got stuck behind a Prowler which was blocking us from advancing.

Anyways, I TK'd the **** out of his *** and rushed up past the line of the Mags on the ridge and then circled around and completely decimated their dismounted support with my treads and some choice AP shots. I popped two of the Mags in the rear to get their attention and then I started laughing hysterically as like 7 Mags all wheeled around, throwing their rear directly at our armor column, and went after me.

I hid behind a structure and just stopped. Two came over and took me out but all of the time wasted shooting me combined with them being forced to wheel around and two of the Mags breaking ranks was all the opportunity our armor needed to break through.

It was about the only damn time I've ever seen a force of massed Mags get absolutely pillaged by Prowlers because that armor column was so close to their position to begin with.

So there you have it. If you can distract a Mag zerg, get a few of them to chase, get the rest of them to turn around, and then your Prowler force blazes into them at ramming speed Mags can go down pretty quickly.

It's just a bummer that this scenario is literally the only way for the Prowler to have an advantage in armor engagements.
  11. zukhov

Well played. If you like that sort of stuff get in a decent squad/platoon and fight at many different places. Flanking attacks are even more fun if you have a bunch of squaddies backing you up.
  12. QuantumMechanic

I love both attacking and defending The Crown. Probably my favorite fight in the game. And yes, when the VS park their tanks on the ridgeline, that's when the boring lulls in the battle take place. Good job at disrupting them. When they do that to me, I usually pull a strike fighter and rocket the hell out of that hill.

But fights at The Crown don't really get fun until the attacker starts to move in with infantry.

Good job. The K/D ratio is something that's hard to ignore, but is also counter to the point of a teamwork-oriented game like Planetside. I mostly play as Engineer, so I pay attention to my score per hour stat the most.
  13. Ghoest

Stay on top the hill.

Shoot people coming up the hill.
  14. TheBloodEagle

Just wanted to say great job man. Could use more players like you in the TR.
  15. Wibin

Props to you for posting this and not posting some whiney crap about other classes being to powerful.

You made the counter and won.

Excellent sir.

Go have you a pair of ... Uh, Huge tracks of land!
    • Up x 1
  16. Mietz

Weird, I just spawn an ESF and hover-shoot the tanks from the landing-pads while friendly AA protects me.

If it doesn't get me any kills (which it usually doesn't) it forces the tanks back behind the hill to repair and then our MBTs can roll out, flank and mop them up from TI Alloys.