CQC medic, shotgun setup?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by dennaavhien, Dec 17, 2012.

1. JohnDoe

I use the nova (8 round, slower reload) shotgun with only two customizations, IRNV sight and extended mag. I find that my shotgun use is more accurate for killing enemies in a crowd of friendlies. If I'm coming up on enemies alone (that don't see me) I find the best way to dispatch them in a hurry is aiming for the chest at point blank and using the tap, tap, knife combo. If they somehow survive the second shot the knife guarantees they're out of the fight. The head is great if you can take your time, but it's easy to miss if you're unlucky enough to be firing just before they spot something shiny.

The IRNV is brilliant for spotting hiding infantry (cloaked or otherwise).

Just a side note, I don't put laser sight on anything, nothing says "Infantry right here!" Like a three foot long line of bright red.
  2. NullPointer

I am TR and I chose the one with max damage for max pain ;)
  3. ThereIsNoTry

Do not use the faster reloading shotguns. They take the same amount of bullets to kill infantry as other shotguns, but shoot slower. So they take longer to actually kill stuff. And in cqc every second counts. And as longer the distance gets (5+m) the worse the fast reloading shotties get in comparison.
    Not worth it. Dont buy it.
  4. dennaavhien

ok, so as NC i have the choice of 3 shotguns : according to wiki damage values are about the same, as are the accuracies
    so only difference is as following:
    sweeper: 8 default mag and about 27% of the bar reload speed
    piston: nearly nill reload speed, 6 default mag
    mauler ss: about 70% of the bar reload speed, 6 default mag and its the only one with a listed firemode, being semi automatic

as you said that high reload speed actually is worst, i guess its either sweeper or piston
    i currently dont have all too much cash to spare, so i would really like to be as sure as i can be on what one i should pick
    so i guess the sweeper is the best bet? as it has 2 extra ammo
  5. }{ellKnight

According this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GUN&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

The 2 semi auto shoties have the same fire rate. Mauler has faster reload and better cone of fire when ADS (but you never do that unless you use slugs). The Sweeper on the other hand has more ammo. I remember reading that the Mauler, Thanatos (VS) and Barrage (TR) have the tightest pellet spread. But don't quote me on that.
  6. TJTwisty

Hi! I purchased the AS16 Nighthawk shotgun for my medic and while I do enjoy the quick firing it has, I don't feel it has enough ummph in it to kill effectively. Point being, a couple days ago, I caught an enemy infiltrator at a terminal hacking it, I got behind him, point blank range. my head was almost touching the back of his head, I unloaded all 6 rounds into his backside. Much to my surprise, not only did I not kill him, he turned around and 2-shot killed me in the head with a pistol! In the aftershot where you see who killed you, I was dumbfounded to see he was not even close to death. After unloading all 6 rounds into him, I only took half his shield away. There is no way in the world you could miss either, try standing directly behind someone, aim at their back and fire all your rounds into them and see if it kills them.

So I don't know if it is simply a bug I came across, or the AS16 Nighthawk just doesn't cut it. But I am not impressed with that weapon.
  7. Ipecac

Friend, I've seen you tell this story twice now. I'm going to say the same thing I did last time: either you somehow failed to point your shotgun at the infiltrator, or you encountered some kind of hitreg bug/latency spike. Shotguns (they all do the same damage) will easily one-shot an infiltrator with a full blast to the head. Please, believe me when I say this was not the weapon's fault, and that the NightHawk is an extremely effective CQB killing machine. You can stop using it if you're put off by it for one reason or another, but it's important not to mislead people about its efficacy in general just because you had a bad engagement once.
  8. Wardy

Just my two cents, I have the F1A1 Barrage (semi auto shotty with stock) for the TR with IRNV for CQB and extended mag which gives a mag size of 10 with 26 rounds remaining. Though I dont scope in CQB the IRNV means my visibility > everyone elses. I also unlocked slugs and the 4x marksman scope and should the need arise I can quite happily pop people with the awesomeness that is Slugs.
  9. Sebyos

Shotty with bigger mag and own some *******. Wanna long range ? Slug ammo is your buddy.
  10. Yetii

Piston or Sweeper are the ones you'll be wanting.
    But do you want automatic fire with the Piston or more rounds with the Sweeper.
  11. dennaavhien

To be honest, it will be a difficult decision, but eventually i'll go with the piston i guess.
    I'd pick the Sweeper as i'm not used to the aiming and such (dont really play that many fps) but that'll hopefully be overcome by practice, so i guess the automatic fire for a faster punch, giving me more chance to even blow out the light on some of those heavy guys :)
  12. Vreki

I use shotguns on all classes I play. Mauler with extended mags, and red dot or nightvision.
    Nighvision can be good even in daytime, as it allows you to quickly spot enemies hiding in corners etc.

I dont have a problem with the range of buckshot as a medic. If we are out in the open, I will stay back and revive my teamates. If we are ambused or inside, we are usually in perfect buckshot range. The damage dropoff also means that you dont have to worry as much about hitting friendlies behind the enemy.
    If I spot a unaware target at range, the default NC pistol does a very decent job.
  13. DarkMatter223

I went with the Barrage(TR) after trialing all 3. Sometimes I wish I had the extra 2 rounds but with extended mag I do well enough. Plus it reloads really fast just duck behind something for a sec and you are good to go.
  14. perspicacious

The mauler has the best pellet spread of all NC Shotguns.

Mauler S6 - 2
    Sweeper - 2.5
    Piston - 4

I use the Mauler S6 on my medic sometimes in biolabs. The health regeneration is extremely useful. You have to pick your engagements, being outside of 3m will be a death warrant.
  15. Phebus

I use the VS Thanatos, semi auto with a fast reload speed. Don't use solid slugs because pellet accuracy is great in CQC on the move and spread variation seems to be based on the spread of the shot not the recoil of the last shot as in most rifled guns. Increased clip size, no scope.

Haven't gone solid slug as i only bring the shotty out in close range fights so I see little point. The mobility with regular shot spread at close quarters outweighs the chance of getting caught in a longer range battle.
  16. Ghoest

I have used the mauler extensively(I got the last medal with it) and afterwards I got the Sweeper(200 something kills) and Piston.

Honestly I dont notice much difference between the mauler and the sweeper other than the extra ammo.
    If you shoot at the wall the mauler has a tighter group - but Im not sure thats a good thing in practice.

I dont recommend the piston. Its easy to shoot as fast as the automatic plus the piston is not as good for sniping as the other 2.

One other point. Its my impression that the COH determines where the center of the pellet group not the the spread of the pellets around the center. but i havent tested this myself.
    • Up x 1