Cortium bomb = useless, and an alternative idea

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Smoo, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Smoo

Proposed alternative: a timed hostile module that amplifies incoming damage. Tunnel worm has the right idea, a damage amplifier would actually be worth using. Leaving a vehicle, slotting it, then getting back in and resuming firing. For undefended bases, this simplifies headshotting the base and moving on to more interesting things.

Why? Cortium bomb is bad. I've had it in my slot quite a bit. And it's been useless the incredible majority of the time.

I've put it in enemy slots. In a competent base, this probably means overloading a firewall, then putting in the bomb while you overload the rest. Or even just freeing up a slot, if they weren't lazy and didn't leave you an empty slot. None of this is quick, and ANY defender who actually cares generally means that it's a waste of effort. Maybe in a huge fight at a base, it ALMOST makes sense.

But- nope. Still pointless. I can DO MORE DAMAGE in 60 seconds in nearly any decent AV vehicle than the bomb can do when it finishes. Even for demolishing a completely unmanned base, mostly you just kill the silo and let the rest rot, put a couple bullets in for easy xp. And mostly bases die to a tank column, not infantry anything.
  2. Walking Shark

You're sort of right. It's highly situational and niche now, primarily it is useful in the following circumstance:
    You and a small squad of 2-4 people are attacking a lightly defended base with no more than 2-4 defenders (4 being a bit much even). With multiple people slotting bombs and defending them you can nuke a silo, but if even half a squad shows up you are probably going to get a defuse, and if your group is much bigger than 4 it is just smarter to bring 4 tanks and an ammo sundy and melt it with guns.

There is also a niche strategy of using a cortium bomb on a key wall or gate prior to a larger attack, but i haven't really been able to get it to work right yet (again, even one defender means you've got to be guarding every direction while also watching the bomb and trying not to get bolted by a ****ter).

I'd love to see a lingering "fractured" debuff after it detonates that increases incoming damage/decreases resistances as you suggested. That would make it worth slotting in many occasions and offers good team synergy.
  3. nubery

Bring back old cortium bomb.