Controller Support Workaround [Tutorial]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NC_agent00kevin, Aug 30, 2014.

1. NC_agent00kevin

Controllers are broken; we know this. However, there is a free program you can find to work around this issue. Im not going to cover (in depth) how to use the program itself; just how to make it work on W7 and PS2.

First, go here and download Xpadder 5.3

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5869-xpadder.html

Xpadder 5.3 is the latest free version. It does not support W7, however, you can remedy this. Right click on the Xpadder application file, and select 'Properties'. Click the 'compatibility' tab and select Vista 'SP2'.

Now, open Xpadder and start programming your buttons. Its very easy to use; click through each tab to add your axis and buttons. All you do is simply press the button to add it to the database. You can click and drag the visual representation of each button to move them around to resemble your controller layout. Below is a representation of how my Extreme 3D Pro is laid out:

[IMG]

Now, all you do is click on each button to bring up an image of a keyboard, where you select what keystroke you want that button to simulate. Simple! Set up all your buttons the way you like them; I just used default PS2 keystrokes as it was easiest - you'll see why next.

Load up PS2 and go to the keybindings page. Clear everything out of the joystick/controller fields by selecting it and holding escape. If you didnt use the default PS2 keystrokes, you will have to re-bind everything in the menu by selecting it and holding that button on your gamepad/joystick. If you use default keystrokes, you should be good to go.

This took me all of 10 minutes to get done and working in PS2. My Extreme 3D Pro works just as it did before the update!
    • Up x 1
  2. SammyG

Thanks for this post I'll give it a try.
  3. NC_agent00kevin

On a side note, this actually works around our hat buttons only firing once as well - I can now use the hat button over and over again without issues.
  4. NC_agent00kevin

Seems to work flawlessly; here is my mostly finished layout. Anyone running an Extreme 3D Pro will understand right away.

[IMG]
  5. NC_agent00kevin

Can confirm this works with multiple controllers plugged in simultaneously in Planetside 2 :)
  6. NC_agent00kevin

Can we get a mod to clean this thread up?

Edit:

Nevermind, done. :eek:

7. tahn1000

awesome! this works better than my logitech mapper. thanks :)
  8. Sunflash

Wait, how do you get your throttle lever to map using this? o_O
  9. Sunflash

Yeah I don't see how you guys get this to work? It won't register either my twist axis or my throttle-lever axis anywhere near properly.

I can fudge it to get something CLOSE to one or the other, but I can't get BOTH. At which, why bother? >.<

Guess I just have to wait for SOE to take pity on this useless casual and fix the damn joystick inputs before I can try a Valk properly. Ugh.
  10. TheHengeProphet

I can't get this to work. Even after clearing all of the inputs and resetting to defaults, PS2 still eats all of the input and disallows Xpadder from doing its thing. In effect, it is as though I did not have Xpadder at all, though in regular windows setting and other games, Xpadder works just fine.