Construction: The Final Conclusion (For Me)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zagareth, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Zagareth

After playing the construction metagame for several weeks very intensive, here the final conclusion for me:

Its completely BS and poorly implemented. Refund people and remove it!

1-2 dedicated suicide runners can take out a whole base and you cant do anything - the base defense is absolutely useless, even when you try to defend with more people.
    And on top of it, it doesnt make fun at all, since it is useless

Personally Im done with the Construction and keep doing my other playstyles...
    • Up x 1
  2. Liewec123

Imho if they'd just removed hives, construction would be in a great fun spot, used to make barricades,
    An extra mini games between bases,

"Hold the bridge!"

Instead, when they removed hives they also removed the wall immunity while under the effect of repair module,
    So it isn't practical to use construction to make barricades.
    They also made one of (imho) the worst changes to the game and allowed OS to fire on bases,

So now instead of construction being an integral part of the lattice game with barricades it is useless,
    And the only ones using it are troll farmers who nuke everyone, friend and ally alike, to selfishly gain some xp.
    • Up x 1
  3. karlooo

Yay, finally someone said it.
    Refund it, remove it!
  4. silent wave

I think construction is fun, but it needs some improvements. No point refunding and removing it entirely, simply improve it!
    • Up x 1
  5. PlanetBound

Destroying bases is a satisfying experience.
    • Up x 1
  6. FredM

I also did alot of construction, or took them out. Key is that you have enough people to defend it and a strategy how to place the modules right. A quick and dirty barricade/hive I take out with my spy within 15-20 min and when there are only 1-2 people defending it.

When you have a big and good defended hive with 10-15 people and there is an alert and a platoon of 95+ runing over your hive it is done in 2 minutes. All comes down to man power and: location, location...like always.
  7. Trigga

You can still find that effect, you just need to overload your shield mod near the wall.
    Most buildings near it will become invulnerable for a period after doing this.
    The intent is you have to be actively defending tho, not just build it and forget.
  8. WinterAero

What was the initial conclusion lol? That it was only mildly BS and needed much more testing? :D

Without an incentive to use it, people simply won't. The risk is almost worthless either way unless you happen to be a tree mounted stalker troll with a blackhand.

Thing needs a rethink to make it more fun. Which would require an actual game population... so in turn, best shelved for now.
  9. Trigga

Did you use the router?
    Best function of a PMB is the router, very useful to an organised squad, but also a disorganised zerg.
    Infact if you build a router base and intentionaly join a zergfit platoon youll find not only will you help them, youll get a hell of a lot of spawn XP.
    Good idea during a close alert to provide a spawn right on the A point of a pivotal base.

Everything else is just fluff.
  10. Lord Nod

While I cannot deny that to me, much of construction feels very much like a makeshift, "slap some trash together and try to make something work from it" mechanic, that doesn't mean that it can't be improved or fixed. In fact, I'm using PS2's construction system as a way to get inspiration of "how would I do this correctly" to design out a building system for a sci-fi game of my own. While I don't want to give away my current design, I will give my opinion on things that I dislike.
    - I don't like where you can build things is so utterly limiting to the point where it has little to no benefit on combat at all until any combat in the area has already been resolved. The only real benefit to construction is the orbital strike now.
    - I don't like the placement tool where the item rotates at high speeds that don't allow for precision placing and how so many items are so far away from the player that getting the right angle without something blocking your view is difficult.
    - I don't like how wonky the build system is by only being able to use two terminals from either the ant or a silo, how simply grabbing a blueprint costs resources, how dying before placing the item depletes those resources, and how you cannot cancel to get a refund on resources and place something else instead.
    - I don't like how each player is limited to how many of specific items they can create on top of a limit of resources being drained by the silo. Players should either be able to place a certain amount that is not effected in any way by the silo, or the cost of maintaining the resources in the silo is sufficient to allow for infinite placement of those items.

While I love being a game designer, I'm sure that Daybreak can come up with their own solutions to these problems ;)
  11. DIGGSAN0

Construction should have been Empire specific:

Everything should do the same but look different from the orher Faction.