Construction system griefing?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SwornJupiter, Jan 31, 2016.

1. SwornJupiter

Are there any plans to implement a mechanism to prevent random pubbies from destroying fortifications? Since it only takes two sticks of C4 on the VP Gen to take out bloody everything in a 500m radius, i would recommend that these VP Gens actually be immune to friendly fire.

I'll be a sad sad panda if a griefer decides to blow it up and singlehandedly massacres an entirely platoon of friendlies.
    • Up x 3
  2. DooDooBreff

im guessing if they cant stop it from sunderers theyll stuggle with this (or not care) aswell

and this is one of my least favorite things about PS2

i go way out of my way to get my stealth sundy to a great hard to reach spot, then suddenly it goes pop with no enemies around.

really, if you have a game with FF theres gonna be FFers, and MFers
  3. Mezinov

My guess is that it would be implemented in two ways;

Step 1) Reduce the amount of damage friendly ordnance does to friendly structures.
    >>> This will primarily address splash and CQC battle concerns. Your fortifications are meaningless if they eventually get destroyed by friendly proxies killing enemies, for example.

Step 2) Greatly increase the grief value of fortifications.
    >>> If we say 1 damage is 1 grief, and your weapons lock at 1000 grief, it should be possible to make the fortifications worth 2, 5, or 10 grief per 1 damage. This won't affect the occasional friendly fire incident, as the grief will decay for a legitimate player before it becomes an issue, but should deter more casual griefers.

Assuming the Sunderer and a Deployed Sunderer exist in different states, which is reasonable to assume given that there are abilities that only activate when deployed, it shouldn't be too difficult to apply the same changes in grief to deployed Sunderers too. I assume the fortifications will be classed as heavy armor, and as such, be immune to small arms. This will likely give them a fairly decent innate resist to most armaments as well - as I don't imagine they will have directional modifiers (imagine tank front armor from all angles).

This said, in a Free to Play game with no barrier to account creation there is no way to really 100% effectively stop career griefers. However, it is perfectly reasonable to use the systems in place (grief and weapons lock) to stop "casual" griefers. Even if an account were only used to log on, C4 a friendly VP generator, and log off - the resource system should stop this from occurring more than a handful of times since resources do not regenerate offline.

Elsewise every time you want to do it you will have to make a new character, do enough low BRs to unlock 2x C4, and then TK whatever it was you wanted to TK.
  4. Demigan

I think that a specific Friendly-Fire damage reduction should be in place. Anything that can blow it in one go such as C4 or Tank Mines should have reduced damage when a friendly uses it so you can't purposefully blow it on your own, add enough grief points so that players cannot destroy a generator solo no matter what weapon they use before getting locked up and you prevent anyone from purposefully destroying it.

"accidents" with C4 or tank mines should not be a problem, no tactic should involve blowing up the VP generator yourself. With enough resistances a VP generator should resist damage from accidental fire without causing players to instantly lock themselves, besides the fact that the VP generator should be shielded from such fire, friendly or otherwise, anyway.
    • Up x 1